Posting links on this forum - Information or Commercial Sites

Important notices, instructions and information about this forum. Terms and Conditions, Code of Conduct and Privacy.

Please post any suggestions, questions or problems with this forum here.
cheryl
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby cheryl » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:33 pm

Jo, shows how you can never be too careful when it comes to kids and the internet.
Cheryl

jo
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby jo » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:00 pm

Reminds of my 6 year old granddaughter doing the topic "chickens" and typed in chicks. Wondered what she & her twin brother were giggling about until I checked!!!!!!
Jo

Janine
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby Janine » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:51 am

No Nav, we have all been very careful with our links. I just noticed that people were a little unsure as to what they could and could not post - so I thought it might help if I gave some guidelines.
I think you are right about the advertisers. (And perhaps others as well!)

Very good points - Jezza and Cheryl.
Janine
1st dx ILC st 3, er+, pr+, her2-, T3, N1 1998. Bone mets 2004. Liver mets 2008. Leptomeningial mets 2009.

yowyow
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby yowyow » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:27 am

I think there is a problem where advertisers in the sex industry, search "breast" and end up
on these sites.

Have I missed something? trying to remember my posts, did I post a link?

cheryl
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby cheryl » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:23 am

Janine, very good.

I have noticed on other sites as well the trouble that sometimes erupts with the posting of some links.

There are some yukky people out there who target vulnerable people trying to make a quick buck and not caring at whose expense.

I think all our members should be on guard for anything untoward that appears on our site.
Cheryl

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:01 pm

Janine

Good that you spelt that out. Unfortunately in "cyberspace" there are some wierd ppl. You should always run things past moderators and then let them be the judge.

I have seen some tense situations on other sites when ppl have posted links and others haven't agreed with it. I would hate that to happen here. Often ppl don't mean to post dodgy links. ....but it reflects back here if things don't work out..
I asked permission to post Aussie BC Forum on another site and was refused. I respected that. The moderators told me I was welcomed to PM their members if I wanted.I also wouldn't have posted it without your permission.

I thanked them and they have PM'd me a few times since then about other things they thought we would be interested in.

Thanks for looking after us!

jezza

Janine
Founding Member
Founding Member

Posting links on this forum - Information or Commercial Sites

Postby Janine » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:08 pm

Posting links to other websites is mostly ok.

Links to Useful Information
Please feel free to post links to useful, reliable information that is relevant to breast cancer. You can put links within your posts and we also have a special section for Information and Resources where you can post links to useful websites and other sources of information. This includes links to other forums. (If everyone decides to pack up and go to http://www.breastcancer.org or another forum, never to return, because you posted the link, then so be it! :crybaby: ... at least you have provided some useful information!) We think it's very important to be open and unbiased.

Links to Commercial Sites
We do not encourage links to commercial sites. Our code of conduct says:
You will not use this website, forum or chatroom to promote, advertise or link to commercial services or products or to solicit donations.

There are a few practical reasons for this, including the following.
- You may have noticed forums that have been swamped with advertising and spam. If we dropped our guard, it would happen to us quite quickly. We need to avoid that. The 'No Advertising' rule applies to everyone with no exceptions.
- We need to consider those among us who may be at a vulnerable stage of their journey. This should be a safe place for all of us.
- Our volunteers give their time freely for us, not for the financial benefit of any commercial enterprise.

Grey Area
However, (and there is obviously a 'grey area' here) if a commercial website is relevant to a discussion and is mentioned in context then I personally see no problem with it.
For example, in a discussion about mastectomy clothing, a link to the Amoena website would be quite appropriate. A link to drug company spec sheets in a discussion about a particular drug would also be acceptable. The link to Sexyland offered as assistance to another member was fine, Kelly.

Definitely Not Cool
Links to dodgy sites such as those selling cheap medicines or promoting miracle cures are obviously not acceptable and will be deleted. Links to unproven remedies are not acceptable, unless clearly relevant to the discussion and clearly described as unreliable, unproven, whacko, whatever..

I can't cover everything here, this is just a guide but we trust that you will be able to judge what is and isn't appropriate. If you're not sure, you can always ask. And if we do remove a link that you have added, please don't take it personally.
Last edited by Janine on Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Janine

1st dx ILC st 3, er+, pr+, her2-, T3, N1 1998. Bone mets 2004. Liver mets 2008. Leptomeningial mets 2009.

Return to “Notices and Information about this forum”