Womens Weekly article - Jane McGrath

Talk about anything here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby jezza » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:57 pm

ozzie
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ozzie » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:14 pm

Hi All just to let you know that Tykerb is free here at one hospital in the WEST its the Mounts hospital..and it is only given to ppl that can no longer use Herception..
Herception is of no use to ppl that are HER2 -
I am ER and PR + but Her 2 - so cannot have it ...
Thanks for all the replies re Jane..I did wonder re that and BC yep she did have bone mets..
Gosh I hate to read these stories on ladies that have ABC and they are so young..
Heard tonight re a lady (now) who was DX with Ovarian cancer when she was 8 shocking I think..
Gee's it makes me think!
Hugs.
Some Days are Diamonds ,Some Days are Stone.

DCIS,IDC,Grade 3 Stage3, ER/PR + HER2- (Aug 96) Bone ,Skin mets, (Dec06) lung mets (May 08)stage 4

cheryl
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby cheryl » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:03 am

Cheryl

chrismelb
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby chrismelb » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:55 am

cheryl
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby cheryl » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:47 am

Cheryl

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:38 am

chrismelb
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby chrismelb » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 am

ozzie
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ozzie » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:50 pm

Some Days are Diamonds ,Some Days are Stone.

DCIS,IDC,Grade 3 Stage3, ER/PR + HER2- (Aug 96) Bone ,Skin mets, (Dec06) lung mets (May 08)stage 4

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:50 pm

chrismelb
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby chrismelb » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:28 pm

Good to know he is out there. I saw an Australian Story on that young fella. very interesting story. Thanks Cheryl
Christine

cheryl
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby cheryl » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:50 pm

we were talking about this at the funeral yesterday and Jane McGrath was operated on by a Dr Tia, this is the surgeon that operated on a young pianist who had been told that there was no more could be done in relation to his brain tumour.

apparently this same surgeon operated on Stan Zimanik(spel?) who has the same sort of brain tumour as the pianist and Dr Chris O'Brien (RPA)

he takes on cases that no one else will do.
Cheryl

chrismelb
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby chrismelb » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:22 pm

Aggresiveness is the grade. ER+ and ER- both have there advantages and disadvantages. And yes it is JAne McGrath's HER-2 status that would give her Herceptin. if she had a bone metastisis years ago i would assume she has been on it since then. Unfortunately HER-2 does go to the brain a bit(not everyone of course) but now there are lots of treatments and new ones coming out.
It is very frustrating reading about peoples BC experiences in the media as the journalist don't have a proper grasp of the subject. And for us experts (lol), we want the niitty gritty.
Don't forget the Young ones tomorrow night if you are interested.
Christine

Kj
Superstar
Superstar

Postby Kj » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:08 pm

I fing it confusing My cancer isnt hormone dependent but it was very aggresive.
Real friends are the ones who love you for being you!!!! (that is soooo important)
from Kim xxxx

yowyow
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby yowyow » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:28 am

Hi Kelly, I just read art' in sun today, which doesn't get into so much detail, but talks of her
being told the brain tumor was inoperable, steve waugh giving her another surgeons name
and he operated and was sucessful. Yes inspiring. But agree why wouldn't the writers
do a bit of research into their stories.

Oh, by the way the Moet was magnificent, I would have loved to share !! It surely had me loving the world last night.

nav

sedgymum
Founding Member
Founding Member

Womens Weekly article - Jane McGrath

Postby sedgymum » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:12 am

I have to say yet again that a major publisher has printed incorrect information with regards to breast cancer. I have just finished reading the article on Jane McGrath and her battle with breast cancer. The article states that her cancer has changed homone status and "is no longer oestrogen dependent ....and it means the cancer is slow, non-aggressive and just grumbling along." It was my understanding that it is the grade of the cancer that determined aggressiveness - not hormone status. It also states that now she can use herceptin. I am sure it would be her Her2 status that would determine whether she can receive herceptin or not. The way it read to me in the article was that because her hormone status changed so did her ability to use Herceptin.

I am sure these inaccuracies are not going to affect the general public and the story really is inspirational, I just wish the journalist would get their facts right.

I would like to see at the end of any of these articles a promotion on the NBCF, BCNA and the Cancer Council. I think promoting the McGrath Foundation only is somewhat biased.

What do you think?

Cheers Kelly
Some day I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far behind me
Where troubles melt like lemondrops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me!

Return to “General Discussions”