Wish my Mum wasn't sick

A place for partners, family and friends to share experiences and information.

Janette
Forum Legend

Re: Wish my Mum wasn't sick

Postby Janette » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 pm

Trish,
It is awful stuff alright and could easily seem insurmountable.

Again I stress Breast Care has some wonderful services for people in WA. They have Breast Care nurses at the end of the telephone.

You are most welcome to vent here anytime, we are here to support you. :hugs:

Telephone (08) 9324 3703
Fax (08)9485 2593
Email info@breastcancer.org.au
Office Hours Monday to Thursday 9:00am to 5:00pm Friday 9:00am to 4:00pm

Contact us

Useful services
At Breast Cancer Care WA, we encourage you to contact us first if you are seeking information about services. Our aim is to provide personalised support and care and we would like the opportunity to speak to you individually to assess what services would best suit your needs.

If you have been affected by a diagnosis of breast cancer, some of these services may be useful to you. For further information about services available in WA, please contact us.
Counselling and Support
Breast Cancer Care WA

Breast Care Nurses and Counsellor available for emotional support and information for those diagnosed, carers and family.
1034 Wellington Street West Perth WA 6005
T - (08) 9324 3703 F - (08) 9485 2593 E - info@breastcancer.org.au
www.breastcancer.org.au
Cancer Helpline

Provides information about cancer related issues.
T - 13 11 20
Carers WA

Information, resources, training and support for family (unpaid) carers.
T - 1300 227 377 (24hr ph counselling line 1800 007 332)
Crisis Care

A 24-hour service available for anyone in a crisis situation.
Free, confidential phone counselling and support.
T - (08) 9223 1111 or Freecall - 1800 199 008
Breast Cancer Clinical Support Service

Free service for Western Australians dealing with breast cancer and their families. Face-to-face or telephone counselling and group support.
Royal Perth Hospital, Perth
T - (08) 9224 1629
Janette

trish.ca71
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby trish.ca71 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:44 am

Thanks for your kind replies.

Not alot of services where they are, they don't live in a major town and there in lays some of the problem. They can't just up and leave. Dad isn't well himself, then there are the finances. It is freaking Dad out a bit. He is too worried to leave her for a great deal of time in case she falls. They are reluctant to seek help. Dad isn't a good communicator, a vietnam vet and deals with everything by drinking.

Mum cant live with me as I live in a unit with bf. I can't move as we got this place because he was sick and the rents are astronomical, then we'd have to pay to move our stuff. Im not well either. My brother isn't able to help as he works in a fulltime job and just got his life back on track. The rest of the relatives are over east.

So many problems. Went and saw the cancer lady here and she put me onto a social worker that visits where Mum and Dad live. I told Mum and Dad but I think they are reluctant after the last social worker.

Mum was getting pallative care when she was here but she and dad wouldn't let them help her to a degree. Great upheavel for her, having people you barely know do personal care type things. Big adjustment. I thought it would be better when they moved home, being a smaller community but they don't want to know.

Dad got onto Mums previous doctor, she was really good. I hope she rings him back and saves the day. Too much pressure. Had not to feel alone when there doesn't seem to be anyone around with some practical assistance. Mum really needs to speak to a counsellor and go on some good antidepressants. Her mental health needs to be looked at badly.

At least I have been able to talk to someone. I have been talking to a counsellor on a regular basis but need more at times. I am sick and have to get to the doctor too, have to make some time. Hard with so many things going on.

Thanks again. At least I can vent here and know that we aren't the only family on the planet having so many problems.

Much love. x :hugs:

chrismelb
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby chrismelb » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:32 pm

Trish, if your mum has secondary disease you are able to access palliative care services. It doesn't mean she is at the end but they provide care and comfort. One thing they do a lot of is pain management and their service helps in lots of ways.
Dx 9/03 EBC
5/12 ABC bones-Herceptin,Tamox&Zometa
8/12 Liver mets-Abraxane,Herceptin&Zometa
6/13 Xeloda/Tykerb Xgeva
11/14 TDM1 Xgeva
1/15 Rads to tumour in head
2/16 Whole brain rads lepto. mets, continue TDM1
8/16. Navelbine, Herceptin
1/17 Neratanib Xeloda & Herceptin.

LuvMyLab
Superstar
Superstar
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby LuvMyLab » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:49 pm

Hi Trish,

Glad you posted, I can hear the frustration in your post. Yes this is a hideous disease but you don't have to cope all alone. I do hope you are able to contact some support, and come here often as well as the girls here are just amazing and so warm and caring. Even if you just need to vent, this is a good place to get it all out. Hugs to you and your Mum. :hugs:

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:39 pm

Trish,
What about talking to lifeline or the Cancer Council? It sounds like you might need some extra support. Another possibility is Breast Cancer Care WA. They have some great services too.

http://www.breastcancer.org.au/

We are here for you as well, but you seem to be doing it extra tough at the moment. I'm glad you posted. :hugs:
Janette

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:20 pm

Oh dear. It sounds as if you are doing it tough at your house hun. :hugs: :hugs: Does mum have a breast care nurse you can call? Or you could contact the cancer council for support services. You sound so alone and overwhelmed my heart is aching for you.
Can you tell us more about your situation?
:hugs: :hugs: to all

trish.ca71

Wish my Mum wasn't sick

Postby trish.ca71 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:08 pm

Wish Mum wasn't so sick.

The doctor isn't doing house visits anymore, more pressure on Dad and it doesn't help her. She finds it hard enough to get around and she gets really anxios when she goes out as she has agoraphopia.

I hate dealing with the medical people. I have been in trouble for not giving her enough pain meds when they weren't onto her pain. I have been in trouble because I missed a prescription. Excuse me for being human and excuse me for not being a nurse!

Still feeling overwhelmed and alone even though it has been almost 12 months since she was diagnosed.

I hate this hideous disease. I also wish she had have been more independant and looked after herself more. It wouldn't have stopped the cancer but she may have caught it earlier and she would be in a better state of mind.

This is really awful stuff. :crybaby:

Return to “Partners, family, friends”