Members suggestions what helped them thru hormone therapy

Discussions relating to primary breast cancer and treatment. Also for those recently diagnosed, and for those concerned about possible symptoms of breast cancer.
Eirelass
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Members suggestions what helped them thru hormone therap

Postby Eirelass » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:17 pm

Might kick this thread along for others on hormone therapy at the moment. It's been good (and scary) to read of others experiences.

I started Tamoxifen Tuesday and started on half a tablet (read somewhere here that someone's mum, a pharmacist has suggested that) but took whole one today. Seeing GP tomorrow and thought I'd sound like a wuss if I was weaning myself onto it. Plus I see med onc in about 3 weeks, so want to have a feeling for what it's doing to me by then.

I've had some more hot flushes, (had started getting some in the last 6 months, manageable though) mostly at night (usually just as I'm dropping off to sleep, then I'm wide awake for another hour :( ) but wore a really light nightie last night and was ok.

I already take fish oil (we get a distilled one from the USA) and if I get any cramps etc will get some Endura which is a sports drink with magnesium - I usually make it up weaker and it doesn't mess with my gut. Use it when exercising.

The Tamoxifen I am on had GenRx on the label and I thought it was a brand till I realized it meant General Prescription :oops: :oops:

Has anyone got or used one of those mattress underlays that are meant to keep you cool in summer? Just curious as we have the usual 'bedding debate' over summer doona/summer blanket etc and our bedroom is upstairs and boiling in summer.

Also, has anyone noticed if alcohol has any effect on their hot flushes/medication? Just curious. Never used to drink - should have stayed that way!! Usually just a couple of glasses of wine on weekends nights.
Dx 28/3/12, EBC, Invasive DCIS; 4/5/12 Hookwire WLE & SNB, Grade 2, 16mm, 0/3 nodes, clear margins, ER+ PR+, HER2-; Rads July-Sept 2012. Tamoxifen. Writing my story www.girlinthepinkfreeruns.com

Cancer will not change you. It will amplify who you already were before you were diagnosed

Eirelass
Superstar
Superstar

Postby Eirelass » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:28 pm

Erin, I'll be looking out all your posts next week - starting Tamoxifen then. I'd read about starting gradually - if I can break the pill in half I might do that!
Dx 28/3/12, EBC, Invasive DCIS; 4/5/12 Hookwire WLE & SNB, Grade 2, 16mm, 0/3 nodes, clear margins, ER+ PR+, HER2-; Rads July-Sept 2012. Tamoxifen. Writing my story www.girlinthepinkfreeruns.com

Cancer will not change you. It will amplify who you already were before you were diagnosed

winterlong
Superstar
Superstar
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby winterlong » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:57 pm

:clap: :clap:
bring on the Tamo!!! :P

erint
Hot-shot
Hot-shot
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby erint » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi again Winterlong,
I did Tamoxifen for about a year before the switch to Arimidex, once they confirmed that all my blood levels were post menopausal. I thought I would have a hell of a fight getting off the Arimidex, but my surgeon looked at the list I had written and just said to go back on Tamoxifen, which we knew I would tolerate better. As she said, unless she was going to come to my house every day and personally supervise me taking it, it probably wouldn't happen. That is certainly the case with many women who get awful SE's. They just don't take it. It's better to be taking the Tamoxifen, than nothing.
The few SE's that I get on Tamoxifen are easily managed with supplements for joint pain, herbs for libido, and as I said the biggest impact has been the change of diet getting rid of the hot flushes completely. I even get to cuddle up to my husband now, without overheating and pushing him away :pmsl:

Erin

winterlong
Superstar
Superstar

Postby winterlong » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:18 pm

Thanks so much for that erint. :)

I will read everything here. I found most was about Tamo, but i guess as far as diet, it will work with either.

I think my Onc said I could try Femara if this doesn't work, but not tamoxifen at this stage. Post menopausal thing maybe?

I hope it works better this time, and sorry to hear you had so many side effects. yikes!!
1!!!

erint
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby erint » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:20 pm

Hi Winterlong, :wave:
I didn't do too well on Arimidex, it made me pretty ill with more than 20 SE's so I went off it after about 6 months, and went back on Tamoxifen. At that time there was only one (original) brand so it might have been different if I could have tried an alternative. It can't hurt to try. Lots of women have few if any SE's or find that they can work around them. There are options to alleviate the SE's, or you can try another aromatase inhibitor, or go onto Tamoxifen. I have posted on this thread about some of the things that helped. More recently I have found that a change in diet has had a profound effect, but for many it's too big a commitment (it IS hard to give up some of the foods, but I find I feel so much better that it's worth it)

Good luck, hope it's better for you than the last time

Erin :)

winterlong
Superstar
Superstar

Postby winterlong » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:54 pm

Hi, I posted in 'treatments' section, but it's a bit out of the way there, so hope you won't mind me re posting it here?

I am re starting Anastrozole tomorrow.
I tried for a few weeks after Rads, but felt lousy.
When I saw my Rads Onc, she said I'd tried it too soon after treatment, and to give it another go, but take only 1/2 a tablet for awhile, and see how that goes.
She has other patients who that worked for, and her point was, some is better than nothing.

My chemist asked if I wanted generic, and I asked if it differed in any way from the Arimidex..ie fillers etc. he said it was Exactly the same.
Reading through on line forums about it, and best time of day etc, many seem to feel there IS a diff.
quite bewildering.

I think I'll just go ahead anyway, with the generic.

Would love to hear others experience if they've taken it, or Arimidex.

Cheers,
:heart:
winterlong (Wendy) :)

erint
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby erint » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:55 pm

I had really bad constipation a few months after starting Tamoxifen. After a colonoscopy (no fun - really) my gastroenterologist agreed with me that it was probably due to Tamoxifen. Drink at least one glass of water when you take the tablet. Make sure you drink enough water during the day. Eat some capsicum if you like it (I do) it's great for constipation

:) Erin

carmie
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby carmie » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:45 pm

Studentgirl, I started Tamoxifen about a month ago & in the last week have suffered with some constipation as well, which is very unusual for me !! Movicol is my friend at the moment !!! & I have been trying to drink more water & one of my friends & I are trying to walk for about 60 minutes at least five days a week. It doesn't help that I have pernicious anaemia (that still isn't sorted) & have to take iron tablets !!!!! Will be chatting to my GP in two weeks about it !
Carmel

Dx 31/05/11, RB skin sparing mast with silicone implant 21/6, DCIS approx 15cm, IDC 3cm grade 2 stage 2 ; 2/13 nodes, ER/PR+,HER2-, Ki-67+ : TAC x6, Radiation x28. Hormone therapy to follow. Tamoxifen May 2012- July 2012 - Stroke July 2012 switch to Femara Oct 2012

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:34 pm

I wonder if the constipation is a coincidence or could be something in the filler doesn't agree? Headache could be through the hormonal changes caused by the Tamoxifen and should settle down. I guess time will tell.

You don't have to worry about too much information here. Good luck with the Tamoxifen. :hugs:
Janette

studentgirl
Guru
Guru

Postby studentgirl » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:20 pm

Just going to give this a little bump - I've been on tamoxifen for just a few days and I have the worst constipation (i'm so sorry if that is too much information). Is this another side effect of tamox? will it go away as my body adjusts to the new meds or do I need to look at a long term solution?
I also have a bad headache which I guess could be anything but I'm on the look out for stuff I guess.
Natalie 36yo Studying hard for my dream job!!
DCIS - diagnosed April 2012, left side mast May 2012, lymph nodes clear, non invasive 11cm, tamoxifen
expanders

Crystalady
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Crystalady » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:00 pm

Meg,

Remember that if you decide to take it and then find you can't tolerate it, then it's your choice to stop.

:hugs: Sandra
First diagnosed in Dec 1998. Thyroid cancer 2006. Thought I was free and clear after 10 years but no, mets in spine in Dec 2008. Femara stopped working October 2010.Was on Aromasin and zometa. Now taking Xeloda and Zometa.Xeloda not working Dec 2011. Tamoxifen started. Feb 2012 Now on Abraxane.

megg32
Your Maj
Your Maj

Postby megg32 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:54 pm

What are the alternatives?

It might come as a bit of a surprise but I am stressing about this a bit :)

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:18 pm

Megg,
Lots of ladies take it. It has been around for many years now so you wouldn't be taking something with unknown consequences. Only you can decide.

Hopefully you're not damned either way. :hugs:
Janette

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:39 pm

Meg, I can 't tell you either take it or not but some people have little or no side effects from it. Maybe you could just try it and see how you go. There is no reason you have to keep taking it if you feel it is too much.
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

Return to “Primary Breast Cancer”