members suggestions on what helped them through radiation

Discussions relating to primary breast cancer and treatment. Also for those recently diagnosed, and for those concerned about possible symptoms of breast cancer.
Ros
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Ros » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:16 am

LIFE ISNT ABOUT HOW TO SURVIVE THE STORM..........
ITS ABOUT LEARNING TO DANCE IN THE RAIN.

dx march 2009, Grade 2, her +, lumpectomy, 2/19, nodes, 4 x AC, 12 x Taxol, Rads, waiting to recommence Tamoxifen in May 2010 due to severe reaction (Yuck)

SueM44
Been there, done that
Been there, done that
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SueM44 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:09 am

AnneG
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby AnneG » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:15 pm

Bumping

This Thread has good advice too http://www.bcaus.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6547

TanS
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby TanS » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:13 pm

bumping for Judy

AnneG
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby AnneG » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:28 pm

Thanks Jackie and Tanya

I think Im going to try to work few hours during rads, Im going to have to stay at Rotary House In Ballarat away from my family during Rads, but this is close to several bank branches I can work at that are larger than I one I work in, I think they will fit me in as a extra...... I hope anyway, this will also allow me to catch up a bit, as I will have been away over 8 mths by Feb when Rads are due to start.

Sometimes I think this treatment will never end..........I know this sounds strange but I sort of miss work......well my customers anyway

Big Hugs to you both

Jollyjac
Superstar
Superstar

Postby Jollyjac » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:11 pm

Hi Anne,
I felt good during Rads, I think I could have quite easily have worked for a few hours each day, maybe just plan to work mornings during Rads as I did get a bit tired by the end of the day. It would be good to have the opportunity to have a Nanna nap in the avro after Rads if you need to.
Saying that I was quite happy to have the extra few weeks off work to get healthy again, I took the opportunity to exercise and relax during Rads, I felt so much better after finishing Chemo that I really enjoyed this time at home with the family.

I went back to work full time one week after finishing Rads, my work and Onc just wanted me to go back part-time for a few weeks, but I felt great and my job is hard to do part-time and my fill in had already finished up. I was tired the first few weeks but now six weeks later back to feeling "normal" again and coping with my usual busy work load which includes a lot of travel and long days with no problems.

I didn't suffer many SE's from Chemo either so was well when I started Rads which I'm sure helped with the fatigue, now taking Arimadex with no SE's either, so I just seem to be lucky to breeze theough all the treatment, I was very fit before I started so I'm sure that helped.
Jackie
Dx feb 09, aged 40 triple pos, multifocal 2.1cm, 1.5 cm IDC 2+ nodes
AC x4 Taxol x12 Herceptin Arimidex 1 yr - ceased due to osteoporosis
Zometa x 4, No hormone therapy

TanS
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby TanS » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:00 pm

Hi Anne,

I felt so good during rads..........I could have worked easily. Maybe give yourself a week to see how you feel.........I found it a pain........just because you have to go in everyday........but physically and mentally it was a non event. I only ever had to wait once..........machine broke.........but usually they were right on time or even early........so a max of 20 mins mostly and I was all done. You get good at putting yourself in the right position.

:hugs:
Tanya

AnneG
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby AnneG » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:32 pm

Thanks Jackie all tips welcome, I was thinking of trying to return to work a couple of hours each day during radiation, do you think this is do-able???

Jollyjac
Superstar
Superstar

Postby Jollyjac » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:05 pm

I did 25 plus 5 booster treatments post lumpectomy and managed to get through the whole process with just a slight pink tinge to my skin with no blistering or brocken areas.

I'm small breasted (B cup) and my Rad Onc suggested I wear a seamless crop top which is available from K-Mart or Big W cheaply, they were very comfortable and gave enough support when I went to the gym. Also I used crystal stick deoderant form the health food store which worked well, Rad Onc suggested that also.

I used Sorbelene cream, I bought a 1L container and by the end of 6 weeks I had used 3/4 of it, I aslo used aloe vera gel which I kept in the fridge which I applied immediately after treatment for a cooling effect.

I followed Tanya's suggestion of freezing wet face washers and applying them immediately following treatment to reduce the heat, the booklet I recieved from my Rad centre said not to use cold packs directly on the skin. I used to place the frozen washer in a freezer bag and while they were cold they are not like appying a frozed ice pack, they don't stay frozen for very long.

I applied a really thick layer of Sorbelene cream at least 3 times a day, like icing a cake! I would let it soak in and then reapply it just as thick a second time. I did develope an itchy rash about week 4 between my breasts and the nurse at the Rads centre suggested over the counter hyrocortisone cream %1 which cleared the rash within a couple of days and I had no further problems.

I tried to exercise everyday by going to the gym or for a good walk and didn't find I was affected by fatigue, although I think I was just feeling so much better and more energetic post Chemo.
Dx feb 09, aged 40 triple pos, multifocal 2.1cm, 1.5 cm IDC 2+ nodes
AC x4 Taxol x12 Herceptin Arimidex 1 yr - ceased due to osteoporosis
Zometa x 4, No hormone therapy

TanS
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby TanS » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:44 am

bumping

hazydc
Your Maj
Your Maj

Postby hazydc » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:55 am

There is some great tips in here ladies - thank you
Hazel
BC Stage 2 Lump removed Jan 09 and 2/3 node removed. Hormone positive
MAR 09 Chemo AC
June 09 Taxol
Currently taking Aromasin
There are angels amongst us and I am lucky enough to have met some

Fred
Guru
Guru

Postby Fred » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:15 pm

I also used Rayderms. There is a clay powder you sprinkle on your breast and leave on for 1 hour. After that you apply a cream. My nipple did get a little sensitive, however no blistering, no rash. I would highly recommend it as it is all natural ingredients.
DX 3/09 Invasive Cancer Stage 1, Grade 3, 10mm, ER+,PR+ HR2 negative, lumpectomy & 2 Nodes removed all clear, & surgical margin clear Treatment AC 4 cycles, 30 Radiotherapy sessions + Zoladex

TanS
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

First Rads Tomorrow...........

Postby TanS » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:46 pm

Hi Jackie,

I may have gone for a bit of overkill.......I am very fair and burn easily......but it seems to have worked. We have always used the Dove soap (it doesnt contain any soap if that makes sense) and my onc said to keep using it. As far as deodorants go I got a list (sorry have now thrown it.....lol) but I used a dove deodorant as well (there were nivea deodorants on the list too) although I never used any deodorant on my mastectomy side.

Before I started rads I got a heap of face washers, rinsed them in a saline solution, put them in separate freezer bags and froze them. I would take 3 with me to rads in a little cooler bag, they would defrost but still be cold by the time I needed them. Straight after rads I would take the pen marks off with the parafin, pat on some "solugel" which you can get at a chemist about $12, place one of the cold washers over my skin, and cover that with the freezer bag so that my bra and clothes didnt get too wet. It all held in place well with my bra. As I had about an hours drive home I would change the washer once or twice. I treated my skin as you would for a burn, the cold washers took the heat out of it and stopped it from continuing to burn. You may not even need the solugel, but my pharmacist recommended it, and my onc said it was fine to use. Its normally used if you blister and its put on with a dressing as its best not to let it dry out. I found it soothed my skin and helped with any itchiness, and it stayed moist with the wet washers.

I bought moo goo from a health food shop to use, but once I finished the first tube I just used sorbolene and it worked just as well. I put the cream on as much as possible, I would shower 2 hours before my rads, as they said not to have anything on your skin for 2 hours before. At night I would smother the cream on like icing a cake and wear an old tshirt to bed. The shirt came off after a couple of hours when the hot sweats started, but the cream would have soaked in by then.

The only that happened to my skin is a rash on my shoulder and little on the front. Apparently that is skin that was sun damaged in the past and will heal to be better than ever. The rash was rather itchy and I got some phenergan pills and a steroid cream to use on it. As far as burns go, I have the slightest tinge of red and thats it. My energy levels are totally normal, it was more of a nuisance having to drive in every day rather than tiring. I only had to wait once for treatment, usually I was straight in and out within 5 mins (you get good at getting yourself into the right position).

Oops its turned into an epic........lol. I hope some of this helps, all of it I learnt in here.

Good luck and I am sure it will be smooth sailing for you as well.

Tanya
"Promise me you will always remember:
You're BRAVER than you believe,
and STRONGER than you seem,
and SMARTER than you think."

Christopher Robin said this to Winnie-the-Pooh, written by A. A. Milne in 1926!!

goodoogus
Wise one
Wise one

radiation

Postby goodoogus » Thu May 21, 2009 10:18 pm

I finished radium May 1, 2009. I have large boobs, had a very large incision for lumpectomy and 6 weeks of radiation, 5 days a week. I used Rayderm for the whole shebang and found it to be great. I had some cracking around my areola from the swelling, but used celendula and lavender essential oils on it and that stopped the cracking - especially the celendula.

I made the mistake of wearing a bra for the first 4 weeks, eventually that skin broke away when I stopped wearing bras. I didn't know of the Myer ones or I would have bought them. I used celendula on the broken skin and immediately I had no more trouble, I was pain free the next day, the Premium staff were astounded, but I did get in trouble for not using things on the approved list.

Raderm gave me time to lay down, it was terribly messy, but the radiologist dr and staff are amazed at how well I did as they were expecting much worse. I am 41, so no doubt that helped too.

kayser
Guru
Guru

Postby kayser » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:25 am

Dx June 2008, Stage II,1.4cm LC T1, DCIS T1, SNB x 3 nodes removed, NEG. Lumpectomy July 2008, 30 x rads, Femara 2 months (stopped due to side effects). No medication currently.

Return to “Primary Breast Cancer”