members suggestions on what helped them through radiation

Discussions relating to primary breast cancer and treatment. Also for those recently diagnosed, and for those concerned about possible symptoms of breast cancer.
suziinoz
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Re: members suggestions on what helped them through radiatio

Postby suziinoz » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:34 am

Now that I know the peely icky mess that radiation burns become... I wouldn't put aloe on it.
I have been trying to drink lots - keep the skin hydrated from the inside.
I have been advised only to use QV wash, the pain is doing my head in, as the scar area is numb, so the pain must be coming from deeper. For the pain I have been doing the four hourly panadol, as well as lignocaine gel on the burn area, with the solugel, covered by glad wrap. Boy am I glad the humidity has dropped...LOL.

AndyK
Enlightened one
Enlightened one

Postby AndyK » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:29 pm

I was told about the aloe vera also.... you're not supposed to use it due to the possible bacteria because it's coming straight from the plant.
I was told just to be aware if any creams or bodywashes have metal in them. ??? apparently some do and it can make your skin burn more. The nurse said if in doubt, just ask or bring in the bottle and they'll check it out for me.
----------------------------
Andy
I'm the real life energiser bunny ...

PetalNZ
Wise one
Wise one
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby PetalNZ » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:40 pm

Thanks everyone for your tips and hints. I've just made a shopping list and will definitely stock up on seamless singlets. I've got four more rounds of TAXOL then have to wait four weeks before starting rads for 5daily x 5 weeks. I've also made a list of questions to ask when I have my orientation. I'm hoping to work halfdays throughout and have asked the booking clerk already for the same time every day which they were happy to do.
Regards, PETALNZ

LuvMyLab
Superstar
Superstar
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby LuvMyLab » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:12 pm

Cheers girls, I'll double check with Onc.

BronNZ
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby BronNZ » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:51 pm

LML,

It may be different over there with different systems, but here in NZ it's 3 weeks after chemo. In week 2 you go for your set-up visit, and get the tattoos done etc. (just got my dates for when the chemo finishes in 6 weeks)
Bron
When life gives you a rainy day, play in the puddles!
[color=#000000]

DancerMel28
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby DancerMel28 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:38 pm

DancerMel28
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby DancerMel28 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:35 pm

I wasn't allowed to use anything other than the cream they supplied. I think they said it was because they then knew exactly what was going onto the skin so that if there were any untoward reactions they could eliminate causes. They kept a very close eye on me - and I was lucky that my skin seems to have held up very well (touch wood nothign goes wrong now I'm finished!). They kept warning me that my skin would 'break' but it didn't so am hoping the worst is over with now.

I found that a salt water wash (1litre of boiled water with 2 teaspoons of salt) that I kept int he fridge was very soothing. I also kept a facewasher in the fridge which on the worst nights soothed the sting, and I also kept the cream they gave me in the fridge also. Basically anything cold was good!

I was also very careful with what clothes I wore - lucky I didn't have to wear a bra so just got some seam-free singlets to wear instead with loose t-shirts when able to and I slept with nothign up top to allow it all to air. Avoiding things that rub is the most important thing I think.

Rest assured though - if your techs and nurses are anything like mine they will keep a real close eye on you and your skin.

LuvMyLab
Superstar
Superstar

Postby LuvMyLab » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:32 pm

Does anyone know how long after chemo do you start rads? I can't remember.

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:26 pm

Always wise to check with your medical team before using anything. :hugs:
Janette

LuvMyLab
Superstar
Superstar

Postby LuvMyLab » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:17 pm

GAH! That's what I was going to use.. I wonder why they said not to. I heard it's fantastic.

I am also going to try Manuka Honey. I drink it everyday (my attempt to ward off any infections during chemo) and once I burnt my hand by grabbing a glowing stick in the fireplace (don't ask, I'm a doofas) and I put the manuka honey on half the burn and it was amazing. Cleared up, no scar. There was a small part which I missed which still shows a slight burn mark, but not where the honey went.

Deebee
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby Deebee » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:32 pm

I have a beautiful aloe vera plant but my rads onc wont let me use it. She did explain why but I didnt understand.
It sadens me not to use this wonderful plant but Im a stickler for doing exactly what my doc's say.

Just check with your Onc 1st, they might have a different opinion to mine.

Deb

suziinoz
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby suziinoz » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:34 pm

I am about 6 weeks away from starting rads is there anything I can do to prepare my skin? I have awesome aloe vera growing in my garden which I often use for burns!

goodoogus
Wise one
Wise one

Postby goodoogus » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:53 pm

Not recommended, but then I don't usually follow all I am told to do... but I ended up using Calendula and Lavender essential oils on my cracked nipples. I am big breasted and had swelling come up around my nipples, I had them bleeding in several area's.
The nurse nearly had a heart attack when I showed her the day after she saw the bleeding, was shocked how much better I had gotten from the oils...but she did reiterate that I shouldn't use them. I only used them right after treatment along with Rayderm - a naturpathic mask and cream I used throughout my treatment.

Diag, 1/09, Stage 1 Tubular, ER and PR +ve, HER -ve. 0/7 nodes involved.

AnneG
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby AnneG » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:31 pm

lol........SueM.......I'm at the other end of the scale........so does that make it pull ups for me.......rofl.......just started rads 2 done.......get to go home tommorrow its going to be a long next few weeks

SueM44
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby SueM44 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:18 pm

Hi girls
Thanks for all the tips. It helps alot to read others suggestions and to realize so many people have been through it before you. 12 down, 18 to go. Cold face washers and lots of cream seem to be working. Rad nurse suggested I go braless.....too sore for that and they feel better in a bra. Had a little giggle about the nappy suggestion. I'm small breasted so would have to get new born size. LOL!

Friday tomorrow. Ya! :clap:

Return to “Primary Breast Cancer”