members suggestions on what helped them through radiation

Discussions relating to primary breast cancer and treatment. Also for those recently diagnosed, and for those concerned about possible symptoms of breast cancer.
The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: members suggestions on what helped them through radiatio

Postby The new girl » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:14 pm

:wave: hi Janette, I think your right the first old be the hardest,but I was not expecting male technicians :grr:

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:38 pm

Rosa,
If you find it distressing to have men techicians, you could mention it.

The first one would be the hardest I would think :hugs:
Janette

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby The new girl » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:05 pm

:hugs: thanks so much ladies,I survived my first session, the only thing I did not think I was going to get to guys when I had the mapping there were all women in the room....Rosa

Eirelass
Superstar
Superstar

Postby Eirelass » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:07 pm

Thinking of you Rosa - you'll ace it. I kept up exercise most of the way through my treatment, just walking in the last couple of weeks. Hope you get some satisfaction about your tootsies. Thinking of you
Dx 28/3/12, EBC, Invasive DCIS; 4/5/12 Hookwire WLE & SNB, Grade 2, 16mm, 0/3 nodes, clear margins, ER+ PR+, HER2-; Rads July-Sept 2012. Tamoxifen. Writing my story www.girlinthepinkfreeruns.com

Cancer will not change you. It will amplify who you already were before you were diagnosed

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:35 am

Good luck today Rosa, I hope all goes well. :hugs:
Janette

winterlong
Superstar
Superstar

Postby winterlong » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:05 am

Hi Rosa :hugs:
best of luck with your treatment. :rose:

:heart:

Wendy

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:05 am

:wave: hi all,today is my first day of radiation,then I will go to oncology centre at hospital about my swollen feet,if I don't get any where will call my oncologist. My radiation is at 10 this morning but I have requested afternoons because I am hoping to still go to the gym in the mornings,it feels weird not being there now! But now it's my feet keeping me from pushing myself a bit more,have a good day everyone :happydance: ..Rosa

Eirelass
Superstar
Superstar

Postby Eirelass » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:01 am

Nurse suggested I 'rinse' my skin before putting the dressing on with saline water. I made up 500mls and put it in a cycling water bottle. Really handy as in the shower I can just squirt it over my breast before getting out and also lean over the basin and do it before changing my dressing. Just don't keep it in the fridge (unless your skin is very hot)
Dx 28/3/12, EBC, Invasive DCIS; 4/5/12 Hookwire WLE & SNB, Grade 2, 16mm, 0/3 nodes, clear margins, ER+ PR+, HER2-; Rads July-Sept 2012. Tamoxifen. Writing my story www.girlinthepinkfreeruns.com

Cancer will not change you. It will amplify who you already were before you were diagnosed

winterlong
Superstar
Superstar

Postby winterlong » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:07 pm

Thanks for the great tips. :rose:
:heart:
winterlong

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Mon May 09, 2011 9:12 pm

And if anyone needs some of the patches that Cheryl was talking about I have a full box of large ones that I bought just before my burns cleared up.
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

Cheryl H
Your Maj
Your Maj

Postby Cheryl H » Mon May 09, 2011 8:33 pm

One of the best things I found, I didn't discover until after I had finished treatment. For the last week of treatment and for about 2 weeks afterwards, the skin in the crease under my breast was red, raw and oozy like a bad burn. It was so painful! There is a dressing called 'Fixomull' that they use for burns, it's like an adhesive fabric that you can cut to size, it allows the skin to breathe and you can wash through it etc. Instant relief! It was a bit tricky to apply, I had to lie on my back to provide as flat a surface as possible and then my husband put it on for me because I couldn't see what I was doing. Now not everyone has such bad burns from radiation, and you may not need it, but if you do develop an area of raw skin, I thoroughly recommend it, and wish I had discovered it sooner!

PetalNZ
Wise one
Wise one

Postby PetalNZ » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:22 pm

I'm four days away from finishing my radiation treatment in Auckland. I was really stressed to start with which was mainly around what was I going to wear to work and how was I going to cope with any reaction. Anyway, I went through all my old clothes, op shopped and also went shopping at the mall to buy a range of shirts which I could just wear a singlet underneath. I love jockey singlets and although a little bit more expensive $30 ea. they hold their shape, wash well and are greast for stuffing a soft prothesis down. I also splashed out and bought some new necklaces to jazz up my clothes. After my first rads I ditched my prothesis as I realised it was going to cause me a lot of grief as it was pulling on my scar after one round and hurt. I bought a few of the small cotton prosthesis ($13 each from Natural Wear) which you stuff with the soft dacron you fill cushions with (available at spotlight). I then wore my singlets inside out so the seam didn't rub - this has all worked really well and I definitely didn't feel self-conscious and above all its saved my skin.

Another thing I did was buy a few of the belly bands that preggy women wear (I got mine on Trademe [like ebay - 2 for $10NZ) and I got the sewing machine out and made them smaller to fit the chest area. This way I could wear the soft prothesis under t-shirts and i didn't look too lop-sided - once again wearing them inside out so the seam was away from my skin. AND the best advice I can give is when at all possible go naked. I had rads every afternoon so as soon as I got home it was off with the clothes from the waist up and on with the acqueous cream continually through to bedtime and then the next morning. Its been really humid here so I've slept with the fan on too. I also had to put the cream on my back which is a bit tricky if you live alone so I used a long handled plastic salad server to reach my back (be gentle it doesn't take much to upset your skin) when no one was around to help. It was great. All very self-sufficient. I'ved ripped through the acqueous cream which you can get scripts from your radiation nurse for. It is only $3 so inexpensive and that was all I have used so far. I must say I've sat around alot on towells which I placed everywhere to avoid the aqueous getting onto everything (lounge suite, bed, floor when I do my exercises). Last tip don't relent on your exercises and stretches. I've found it hard to get my arm stretched to my pre-rads position when I stretch it but when I persevere it takes a few goes and has really helped when I'm trying to hold the position on the radiation machine.
Good luck everyone.
Debbie

Gail
Forum Legend

Postby Gail » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:28 am

I am surprised the radiation would cross your nipple Therese, but that is an excellent idea for women who do suffer burns of their nipple.
"You Gotta Laugh!"

Gail

Diagnosed April 2006,Lumpectomy,17 of 25 nodes positive, chemo, radiation. Finished treatment March 07
Diagnosed July 2012 cancer of mediastinal(nodes around lungs and heart)pelvis and spine. Up for the fight!

Therese
Guru
Guru

Postby Therese » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:49 pm

The worst SE from the rads for me is a painful nipple OMG is it sore !!!
I use heaps of the cream they gave me but at treatment no. 23 my nipple has given up on me.

It began to crack so the nurses told me to use those gel nipple pads that breastfeeding mums use.
Whoever came up with the idea to make those deserves a medal. :D
Apart from being cold and taking the sting out, it also prevents the nipple from rubbing against the bra or clothing etc.

Immediate relief :biggrin:
IDC 4mm LB, Stage1 Grade1 , Sent. Biop. Neg, HER2-, ER/PR95%+ , Dx 1/10/10 Lumpectomy 15.10.10 Rads begin 17.11.10

Gail
Forum Legend

Postby Gail » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:48 pm

Once it gets to broken skin you need silverzene cream (spell?) and cover with non stick gauze. Definitely past the point of the other creams as this is what they use for burns in hospital. :hugs:
"You Gotta Laugh!"

Gail

Diagnosed April 2006,Lumpectomy,17 of 25 nodes positive, chemo, radiation. Finished treatment March 07
Diagnosed July 2012 cancer of mediastinal(nodes around lungs and heart)pelvis and spine. Up for the fight!

Return to “Primary Breast Cancer”