members suggestions on what helped them through radiation

Discussions relating to primary breast cancer and treatment. Also for those recently diagnosed, and for those concerned about possible symptoms of breast cancer.
ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: members suggestions on what helped them through radiatio

Postby ruth1 » Tue May 12, 2015 7:32 pm

wow sooo close to the end Liz - lets hope that skin holds up so you can get through it. Its a good feeling to finally reach the end of treatment. :clap:
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby JudyB » Tue May 12, 2015 7:31 pm

Excellent news Lizzie, it's a wonderful feeling to finish treatment.
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Tue May 12, 2015 7:01 pm

Congratulations Lizzie, you're amazing as are all those who have been through treatments. I hope those last treatments go very well. :hugs:
Janette

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Tue May 12, 2015 4:44 pm

:clap: enjoy your champagne,end of treatment is worth celebrating .....Rosa

Lizzie
Your Maj
Your Maj

Postby Lizzie » Tue May 12, 2015 3:41 pm

So close to the finish line.....2 more rads to go and the skin under my arm has had enough! By all accounts I have been very lucky with my skin. It really only got bad in the last 7 days. If anyone has to have radiation ask about mepetil dressing as it has been very effective for me in keeping the skin in reasonable condition.
The doc now has to decide whether to go ahead with the last 2 sessions ....pity she is in New york ( half her luck)
Champagne for me on Friday !
Liz

Eirelass
Superstar
Superstar

Postby Eirelass » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:07 pm

Interesting! All the best with the rest of the treatment
Dx 28/3/12, EBC, Invasive DCIS; 4/5/12 Hookwire WLE & SNB, Grade 2, 16mm, 0/3 nodes, clear margins, ER+ PR+, HER2-; Rads July-Sept 2012. Tamoxifen. Writing my story www.girlinthepinkfreeruns.com

Cancer will not change you. It will amplify who you already were before you were diagnosed

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:36 pm

well done Lizzie, sounds like you are ok so far. :hugs:
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

Lizzie
Your Maj
Your Maj

Postby Lizzie » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:56 pm

So I have stsrted radiation and have the dressing on and yes its called mepitel. Feels a bit funny but I am getting used to it. Its kind of like an opsite dressing they use after operating. The nurses highly recommend it and say it really helps with healing. I will keep you posted
Liz

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:58 pm

Funny you should liken it to being wrapped in Glad Wrap as that is exactly what happened to me. When my chest started to get badly affected by the radiotherapy they used to wrap me up in Glad Wrap, awful and gooey.

Best of luck girls, won't be long now and you will be through this part of the treatment and things will start to look up.

:grouphug:
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

Lizzie
Your Maj
Your Maj

Postby Lizzie » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:42 pm

Thanks so much for sharing your experience maudesmum
I think I am lucky that I will having the radiation through a Sydney autumn. Much cooler than a Brisbane summer !
I will let you know how it goes.
:wave:

maudesmum
Wise one
Wise one

Postby maudesmum » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:10 pm

Hi,

I used this dressing for my radiation in November-December last year. It's called Mepitel (sorry spelling is probably not correct) and the dressings are applied by the nurses where you get your radiation (mine was at the Wesley in Brisbane).

I found it a bit uncomfortable at first - kind of like someone has wrapped you in glad wrap - but got used to it. The hardest part was that I had it over summer in Brisbane, so sweating meant the dressing would peel off more easily - just meant I had to go back quite a few times over 8 weeks to get redressed.

But, once I did finally remove the dressings fully after 2 weeks post rads finishing, I could understand why it has such a good recovery rate. There was so much skin held in place by the dressing which would otherwise have come off leaving me raw, I know if I had not used it, I would have had severe skin burns. I would totally recommend it if you get a choice, just persevere through the minor discomfort, you'll be very glad at the other end!

Good luck with it :)

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:22 pm

I also wonder if this is a new process, I haven,t heard of it either from any forum members.
Janette

Tracey Gibney
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Tracey Gibney » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:56 pm

No Lizzie I have never heard of that I think it must be a new idea as I had radiotherapy 8 months ago at Peter Mac. Let us know your experience. Wishing you all the best for your treatment. Tracey xx
EBC 94 aged 34. Mastectomy CMF, tamoxifen. Mets 07 brachial plexus, supra clavicular node, sternum. Treated with AI's Rads x3 Ooph 09. 2014 met to chest wall,surg, rads. 12/14 Multiple bone mets, rt axillary nodes further recurrence chest wall. Failed on Faslodex. 8/15 Ibrance

Lizzie
Your Maj
Your Maj

Postby Lizzie » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:53 pm

Hi all
I Am starting radiation after easter and they are covering the whole area with a dressing which stays on the whole time. Has anyone else had this? It means I wont be able to put creams or anything on the site but apparently the skin does heal well and is is protected from infections.
Just wondering if any one else has had this and how they found it?
Liz

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:48 am

congrats Rosa on getting through - bet there will be a few reds at your house this wk haha. Well done!!!!

Return to “Primary Breast Cancer”