members suggestions on what helped them through chemo

Discussions relating to primary breast cancer and treatment. Also for those recently diagnosed, and for those concerned about possible symptoms of breast cancer.
Gail
Forum Legend
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: members suggestions on what helped them through chemo

Postby Gail » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:02 pm

Rettie, mainly we just got fat!
"You Gotta Laugh!"

Gail

Diagnosed April 2006,Lumpectomy,17 of 25 nodes positive, chemo, radiation. Finished treatment March 07
Diagnosed July 2012 cancer of mediastinal(nodes around lungs and heart)pelvis and spine. Up for the fight!

LuvMyLab
Superstar
Superstar
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby LuvMyLab » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:44 am

Hi Rettie and welcome to the forum. I was also continually hungry - those damn steroids!

I made a big batch of vegetable soup - a fairly thick one so whenever I was hungry I'd pour some into a mug or small bowl and that would take the edge off. Sometimes I put chicken in as well. Also can use shanks but if you want a low cal soup then use chicken or just the veggies. Can put cannellini beans in, or rice, anything.

Gail
Forum Legend

Postby Gail » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:41 am

Rettie, I could not stomach tap water and lived on those lovely flavored waters you can buy , mandarin, lime etc, except my son also loved those waters so it was a very expensive time!
"You Gotta Laugh!"

Gail

Diagnosed April 2006,Lumpectomy,17 of 25 nodes positive, chemo, radiation. Finished treatment March 07
Diagnosed July 2012 cancer of mediastinal(nodes around lungs and heart)pelvis and spine. Up for the fight!

Rettie
Guru
Guru

Postby Rettie » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:34 am

Hello from a newbie, and thanks for all the great practical suggestions. I'm very glad to have found this forum. I had my first FEC treatment two and a half weeks ago. I found it really hard to drink all the water required, but fizzy mineral water and soda water helped a lot. Squeezing some lemon in the water also disguised that leaden taste. One thing I did have a problem with was feeling continually hungry for the first week. I would eat something and feel starving again ten minutes later. I don't want to put on weight (being overweight to start with and having recently lost quite a bit) and found this really annoying. I'd love to hear any suggestions about dealing with this.

Diane
Guru
Guru

Postby Diane » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:51 pm

Heh everyone,

New to this forum but not new to bc. I wish I had all this information when I went through chemo.

I was very lucky and got through reasonably well I didn't get nausea but was quite tired at times. I remember being very flushed for the first few days after chemo and having sore finger nails and sometimes a strange taste in my mouth and yes of course the lose of my hair.

To get through my wonderful hubby would come with me always first thing in the morning and afterward we would go out to lunch and then come home and relax and watch a movie usually a comedy. I was lucky I didn't feel sick and could eat and hubby being a tradie could take a day off and work on Saturday instead.

I did take time off work as I work in sales and the oncologist thought it better that I wasn't in contact with so many people in the middle of winter with colds and flus so money was a bit tight. To pass the time I started knitting which I hadn't had time to do in years and also watched a lot of old movies.

As for my hair that was probably the hardest thing, although it might sound vain I found it very upsetting when my long hair fell out so quickly. I think you feel that everyone then looks at you as a cancer patient. I found a really nice wig after three attempts but when the hot summer came I just wore a scarf. I lost my eyebrows and eyelashes as well so my eyes tended to look swollen all the time. You can use a eyebrow pencil for the eyebrows but eyelashes was a bit of a problem.

Now nearly two years on my hair is growing back and so far so good and still in the clear back at work fulltime and thankfull I'm a survivor.

To all those who are going through chemo now good luck and I hope you get through it okay. One thing I did do was write each appointment on the calendar and ticked them off as I went along. Such a great feeling when the last one got ticked.

Gail
Forum Legend

Postby Gail » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:57 am

So true Chrissie, that should be on everyones Chemo list and if there is nothing during the day to laugh at ( but you should be able to find something about yourself!) hire a funny movie or go to the movies, always good value. :)
"You Gotta Laugh!"

Gail

molly dooker
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby molly dooker » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:50 am

Gail, you have just made another suggestion to help get a person through chemo.
a good laugh every day is one of the good drugs you can take during chemo....and anytime for that matter.
Thanks Gail. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Chris

Gail
Forum Legend

Postby Gail » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:47 am

You know the saying Kitty, Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone. I stick with this philosophy as I love a good laugh, life is too short not to enjoy as much as possible.
"You Gotta Laugh!"

Gail

Gail
Forum Legend

Postby Gail » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:06 pm

Yes same here, but then again if you have lovely teeth and the onc says the chemo will stuff them maybe you would refuse treatment. I was having a root canal after and was suffering so much pain she just filled it temporarily and I was to go back, but it just shattered and I ended up having another dentist take it out. I loved my teeth as I have a large smile and now they look like a billiard set. :sniff:
"You Gotta Laugh!"

Gail

molly dooker
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby molly dooker » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:38 am

Please get your teeth professionally looked at and cleaned and get any dental problems fixed BEFORE commencing chemo if you can.
They can take such a battering with dry mouth and gum problems. Some treatments can have an adverse effect on the teeth themselves.
Even though it is the last thing people want to think about, the last thing a person needs when going through treatment are teeth problems as well.
This advice is not only coming from me, but from my dentist as well. He thinks there is a big hole in the system, where the doctors, oncologists etc should be advising patients on the importance of teeth health before commencing treatment. But in general, they are just not doing it.
Sometimes it is not possible, because of time frames etc, but if you can have a dental checkup, you will be glad you did.
Chris

Uchews
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby Uchews » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:43 pm

When my hair started to fall out in clumps, my head began to get increasingly itchy. I was furious that this wasnt written in the chemo books/guide you get given! When it started to fall out it was quite fast, but the more hair fell out the more itch, and acheing under the scalp. The itch started to drive me nutz. One thing i found really useful when this was happening was to get it shaved off. Within an hour of the shaving hair off, to my surprise and delight the itch was almost gone. It also stopped the issues with dragging out the grief over loss of hair as well, as i didnt think that was a good look for me, even though it did kind of match what i liked to call my walking dead look, 'zombie'. (no offence meant to anyone! :grouphug: ).

There was a busy barbers shop around the corner, compete with barbers poll. I thought well who is best at shaving heads? So i went in there, instead of my hairdresser who was just 8 doors up. The guys in there were great. I got offered a hard boiled lollie before and after, choice of coffee or tea. And at end nice warm hot towels on scalp, and face, with head massage, apparently to open pores, and soak up oils, but it all felt good too. And just for fun they ask if i'd like the splash a little after head shave cologne like they do for all the men. All just like in the movies, I felt very pampered, and for me made a significant issue more fun. They still wave hi to me every time i walk past.
:happydance:

Also when not feeling like eating, it can help appetite to try to eat foods with strong tastes in them that you like at treats, focus is not on health so much just until appetite gets a bit better. [Another thing that wasnt in books was taste changing. I went from having a sweet tooth, to being a savory oriented person!] Still not sure if thats a good or bad thing 8-)

Also if you're too unwell to manage people contacting, i found sending a group email helped fill things in. You get back emails, but can deal with them in your own time, and without a feeling of pressure, and or pressure that put on self because not keeping up with and adjusting to things

AndyK
Enlightened one
Enlightened one

Postby AndyK » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:31 pm

icy poles and cinnamon & apple tea seem to help me be able to stomach food. I have a "funny face" icy pole while DH is making dinner. I've also crushed up ice blocks into a cup and just lay on the couch and suck on them. It really helps with the horrid taste in my mouth.
----------------------------
Andy
I'm the real life energiser bunny ...

Urthgirl
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby Urthgirl » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:36 pm

wow ice-cream helped me too, helped soothe my burning throat.......

ummmmmmmm......also chamomile tea, banana and honey smoothies, and for some reason I craved hot chips and gravy! yukko which I cant eat now!

I found that having 3 hot showers a day or a long bath helped aswell for the aching bones.

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:07 pm

:bump: for newbies. We seem to have a few ladies commencing chemo soon or already started. Many of us have been through it and are now out the other side. You CAN do this and we will be here for you all the way. :grouphug:

Sports Nut
Guru
Guru

My experiences with chemo

Postby Sports Nut » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:25 am

Hi Ladies,

I just wanted to share my experiences with chemo in case it helps any new ladies who have to go through it. Before I started my chemo I read as much as possible about other women's experiences, side effects etc so as I could be as prepared as possible. I have to say that I reckon my chemo experience wasn't as bad as I expected and I want to give some hope that not everyone has a horrendous experience. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't fun! My chemo was EC x 6 (once every 3 weeks)

-I didn't get any nausea (I took all the anti nausea meds whether I needed them or not).
-I did get bad heartburn but the onc gave me Somac and that worked like a treat (I could eat anything although I didn't have a big appetite).
-I found getting a good night's sleep the first 2 nights a challenge (probably due to the steroids but I had some sleeping tablets that helped)
-Fatigue hit me on days 4 - 6 and you have to make sure you have help on hand as it is nothing like you've ever experienced (I had trouble making myself a cup of tea). I did find though that the fatigue decreased with each successive treatment.
-I didn't experience any taste changes but my sense of smell was heightened a bit (my dog got banished from the loungeroom after the first 2 treatments) but this went away after treatment no 4.
-I didn't need a port (all chemo was put in via IV through my hands. As I haven't had any surgery then they could use both hands). Apparently I have very good veins.
-My hair started to fall out slowly by day 12 after first treatment but began to fall out quickly by day 20 so I got a no. 1 haircut. My hair started to grow back by my 4th treatment which I was stoked about.
-I didn't lose my eyebrows. My eyelashes did thin out but I could still wear mascara.
-I did get a little constipated but I took Metamucil every night and made sure I ate an apple a day!
-I did get mild stomach cramps for a few days after each treatment but Buscopan fixed them.
-My skin dried out a bit but as I had oily skin to start off with, this was a good thing
- I did get a sore throat so I used the bicarb mouthwash that the hospital gave to me for free and Nilstat. I never had another sore throat and I didn't get any mouth ulcers.
- I was hospitalised after treatment no. 1 with febrile neutropenia. My total neutrophils drop to 0.1 after every treatment so personal hygiene in my household became vitally important. I was on and off antibiotics for sinus infections throughout my treatments but I have a history of getting a lot of sinus infections anyway.
-I was back at full time work 1 week after each treatment
- I exercised 3 times a week (minimum 20 min walk or cycle) in my good weeks.
-a positive that did come out of chemo is that I have lupus and one of the drugs they used temporarily got rid of my lupus symptoms.
- chemo has put me into menopause so I get hot flushes and all of the other fun stuff (but no mood changes). As I am strongly hormone receptor postive then menopause is a good thing
- my tumour markers have halved and the lump in my breast has disappeared so proof that chemo has worked for me

I apologise for the length of this post but I want to give hope to anyone that has chemo that not everyone gets the horrible side effects.

And I found that each treatment actually got a bit easier both physically and mentally and I recovered faster after each successive treatment.

Anyway, I have just finished my last chemo and I am absolutely stoked that it is over and done with (for now anyway. As I am stage IV I know that there will be more chemo in my future). Now I go onto Tamoxifen and monthly injections to stop my ovaries working and don't have to see my onc or have another blood test for 2 months (can you hear me cheering?). To celebrate I am going to book myself a facial and pedicure.

I just want to say that I have a great onc (she's female so I can talk to her openly about all of the girlie stuff) and the staff at the Oncology ward at The Canberra Hospital are awesome. I even got a free foot massage during my last treatment.
DX Feb 2010. Stage IV from the get-go, grade 2. ER/PR+ Her2-. No surgery. Mets to the liver. EC x 6, July 2010 Tamoxifen, Aug 2011 Femara, Sept 2012 Taxol (stopped due to neuropathy), Aromasin Jan 2013 to July 2014. Now on Faslodex and Xgeva and still on Zoladex

Return to “Primary Breast Cancer”