members suggestions on what helped them through chemo

Discussions relating to primary breast cancer and treatment. Also for those recently diagnosed, and for those concerned about possible symptoms of breast cancer.
Janette
Forum Legend

Re: members suggestions on what helped them through chemo

Postby Janette » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:19 am

My opinion has always been that adrenaline kicks in, with the initial diagnosis of anything serious. Unfortunately when the treatments, surgeries etc are done and you try to settle back into a normal environment, that's when it really hits hard. There is nothing wrong with needing anti ds.

Christine you're definitely not a hopeless case in any sense of the word. As I understand it, our brains can be wired quite differently with the chemical balances and anti ds help normalise some of those chemicals. I don't think there is a normal as such. :hugs:
Janette

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby JudyB » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:30 pm

thanks Christine, mine hit me after treatment. I probably would have never gone on anti depressants if something quite distressing to me hadn't happened. In some ways I am thankful that it did happen so I got the chance to sort it all out.
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

chrismelb
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby chrismelb » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:58 pm

Girls re depression and anxiety, just be careful when all the treatment is over cos that is when it can really hit. My trigger point has been identified as change. I'm on two different anti depressants, so i must be a hopeless case!! I have been on Cipramil for years but had Mirtazapine added earlier this year when my anxiety was so bad and i was very under weight.
Good luck with your treatments xo
Dx 9/03 EBC
5/12 ABC bones-Herceptin,Tamox&Zometa
8/12 Liver mets-Abraxane,Herceptin&Zometa
6/13 Xeloda/Tykerb Xgeva
11/14 TDM1 Xgeva
1/15 Rads to tumour in head
2/16 Whole brain rads lepto. mets, continue TDM1
8/16. Navelbine, Herceptin
1/17 Neratanib Xeloda & Herceptin.

Marlee
Wise one
Wise one
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Marlee » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:28 pm

Thanks all, now 10 days after first chemo and emotionally in a much better place. I already am on Effexor anti depressants and know I can increase my dose if I need to.

I have had anxiety and depression for many years so this has been one of my concerns, spiralling mentally as well as physically

I have been able to exercise over last few days and this helps a lot !!

Thanks for all the support

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:42 pm

Marlee I hope you are feeling better now. People kept telling me I should go on anti depressants and I kept getting very annoyed with them but eventually it was almost taken out of my hands as I had a melt down and was put on them anyway. Just saying so that you don't do what I did and you keep an open mind about it.

We can do this.

:hugs:
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:29 pm

:wave: hi Marlee,you just need to do what ever it takes to get through this. With the chemo,so much poisons going in so a few more tablets won't matter.....Rosa

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:17 pm

ahh the good old Ativan pill - yep me too - I managed to get through the first 2 chemo's and then just couldn't face the next ones without the pills. As Lizzie says this is very hard and completely understandable to have problems when going through it all. :hugs:
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

Lizzie
Your Maj
Your Maj

Postby Lizzie » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:50 pm

Hi Marlee
I can relate to the emotional brick wall. Just go with it, what you are facing is HARD and you would not be human if you did not have an emotional reaction. In the end I was on atavan the morning of chemo to relax me enought to get through the door. It really helped. Ask your doctor. Hang in there :hugs:
Liz

Marlee
Wise one
Wise one

Postby Marlee » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:20 pm

I hope you are feeling a bit better JudyB,
I was not as great once the first few days over, the tiredness was extreme but nausea managed with lots of small meals and regular maxalon.
The bone pain is managed with regular pain meds, feel like a pill popper

The worst has been hitting an emotional brick wall - but reading these posts lets me know this too shall pass

Thanks Ladies

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:44 pm

Good luck Marlee, I had my first of the last lot of my treatment last Thursday, not travelling the greatest at the moment with bone pain but in two weeks I will be halfway through :clap:

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:16 pm

:wave: hi Marlee,hope you breeze through chemo, I can understand hot flushes but you should mention heart palpitations,try and drink lots of water during chemo and after it helps :hugs: ....Rosa

winterlong
Superstar
Superstar

Postby winterlong » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:02 pm

good for you marlee. :hugs:

Marlee
Wise one
Wise one

Postby Marlee » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:09 pm

This is great to read through
Had first chemo yesterday, one down 5 to go

I think steroid cover is helping atm but getting lots of hot flushes and heart palpitations, also feeling drained

I love reading how you all have done it or are doing it

I too Lizzie am 46 and am healthy, like lots here it's such a shock. I have my funky scarves and hat ready to go and a lovely hair dresser who is cutting hair and shaving as needed

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:28 pm

:v_happy: last chemo,wow that's great, my husband took me out to celabrate it was great to finish. Rest up,all the best to you :hugs: ......Rosa

Lizzie
Your Maj
Your Maj

Postby Lizzie » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:59 pm

Hi Jezza
No I am not working I am lucky enough to have enough sick leave/ long service leave to have the luxury of concentrating on treatment and soon recovery. Some days I miss working which I see as a good sign because those are the days I feel pretty good.
It certainly is a life changing experience.
Liz

Return to “Primary Breast Cancer”