Post chemo teeth & gum problems

Discussions relating to primary breast cancer and treatment. Also for those recently diagnosed, and for those concerned about possible symptoms of breast cancer.
Jan
Enlightened one
Enlightened one
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Jan » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:07 pm

Hi chery,sorry I didnt see your post earlier.
I guess it has all been said on here now about Zometa.
My oncol just said to me after 3 cycles that he had spoken
to his colleagues & they have decided to stop using it.
he said some people have very poor teeth,some broken
right down to the jaw & Zometta can cause Jaw Death
the jaw can break. He said I had had a good kick start
with 3 cycles. I had already had all my teeth done when
I went onto it. My teeth did start to recede again a little
last year. Only a couple of teeth . This could have been
my age of course. lol

chrismelb
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Hey Kj i was a dental nurse for about 12 years too.......

Postby chrismelb » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:57 am

Kj
Superstar
Superstar

solution!!!!!!!!

Postby Kj » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:08 pm

Ok girls I think I have it
I spoke to my amzing SIL today and she gave me so much info that my chemo brain cant hold but Ill give it a bash
our saliva has calcium and phosphates when we eat our saliva naturally rinses our mouths of all the bad stuff like acids and replaces it with the good stuff (im trying to make sense it been a bad week) when we have chemo we get dry mouth and these acids in foods are not rinsed with the calcium and phsphates hense the deteriation of teeth the more restorations (fillings) you have the worse it is rinsing with bicarb or water wont fix it BUT there is a new product called tooth moouse that replaces calcium and phosphates and can actually reverse the affects of the chemo eg if you are starting to get white spots on your teeth this will reverse it which is great news there is also chewing gum which can help aswell she is coming over next week with some info and if it is ok with the mods (janine) ill post it for you it has a section on cancer patients .. you can only get this stuff through dentists or dental companies I can order it Bulk if anyone interested (saves a trip to dentist) and send it to you .. I was a dental assistant for 10yrs and am planning on becoming a dental hygienist and I know there is nothing worse than forking out tooo much money for dental bill even my SIL agrees there is not enough education about this if we where told to get tooth moouse before chemo it would save a lot of hassle
hey Im on mission I plan to change it well after I get in oh AND THEN I HAVE TO PASS LOL
Hope this helps
Real friends are the ones who love you for being you!!!! (that is soooo important)
from Kim xxxx

Janine
Founding Member
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Janine » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:46 pm

Janine

cheryl
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby cheryl » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:22 pm

Cheryl

Janine
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby Janine » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:05 am

If you are on zometta, you must not get any major work done on your teeth except by a dentist who is aware of the (slight) risk of ONJ. (OsteoNecrosis of the Jaw). You need to avoid any infection into the jaw bone.
Where I go, everyone who is on zometta is seen by the dental ppl. I have had some minor work done but with heaps of antibiotics.

I've been on zometta for over 2 years now and they are going to cut me back from monthly to 2 monthly. They seem to be doing that with most ppl who've been on it for a while.
Janine

cheryl
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby cheryl » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:48 am

thanks for the tip ladies. I will surely follow.

Jan your quote = My oncol does not use Zometa anymore. It can cause Jaw Death in some people with vry poor teeth=

does this mean if you have good teeth you will be okay???

anybody out there on Zometa whose teeth are not all that good???

i'm going back on Zometa today and my teeth are not great.
Cheryl

Kj
Superstar
Superstar

Postby Kj » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:00 pm

Real friends are the ones who love you for being you!!!! (that is soooo important)

from Kim xxxx

yowyow
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby yowyow » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:00 pm

karin
Superstar
Superstar

Postby karin » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:30 pm

Jan
Enlightened one
Enlightened one

Postby Jan » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:37 pm

Good subject!

I had all my teeth done after chemo in 2005.
It ended up costing me $3,000!!
I had always visited the dentist but after chemo a lot
of my teeth had started to recede I had other fillings done
as well for that amount of money.
The chemo has this big dry effect on everything,even my
throat felt burnt after 10 cycles.
My dentist told me she sees it quite often. I had to have
some of my teeth topped up where they had receded again
' last year. They also ache & are quite sensitive so I have this
paste called GC tooth mousse PLUS she gave me to rub on
them at night after brushing. I also use sensedene toothpaste.

My oncol does not use Zometa anymore. It can cause Jaw Death
in some people with vry poor teeth.

Looking back now I don't know how I did it.I just really wanted
my teeth to be nice again,they felt yukky after all that chemo.
It also is good to keep them clean in case of infection .We don't
want our immune to struggle anymore than it has to.
:biggrin:

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:48 pm

You've really hit a nerve (sorry about the pun) with this topic nav. Posts are coming in thick and fast. ...on both sides of the world.

Really, teeth are the last thing you would think about when chemo is mentioned but maybe more info should be made available from the start. Is it only certain drug combinations or what?

You really don't need to have to cope with expensive dental treatment after chemo if there is any way it could have been prevented.

jezza

yowyow
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby yowyow » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:38 pm

Havn't got the answer whether it is an on going prob' but OMG the stories of root cannals and major crumbling is a prob'
We need to get our Onc's or someone to look into this and advise re preventative dental probs'.

I am hearing stories of woman with no teeth left at all!!!!!

Am seeing surgeon tomorrow, will casually ask about dental probs.

cheryl
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby cheryl » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:35 pm

when you find out the answer will you post back to here. it would be good to know.
Cheryl

yowyow
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby yowyow » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:11 pm

Thanks Jezza, Very new into the replies, but will be very interesting following it. I have posted asking the question if
our teeth do regain strength (if thats the way to put it) or will this be an ongoing problem.

Return to “Primary Breast Cancer”