Post chemo teeth & gum problems

Discussions relating to primary breast cancer and treatment. Also for those recently diagnosed, and for those concerned about possible symptoms of breast cancer.
jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:13 am

New diccussion started "Dental Problems" on Moving Beyond Cancer " Forum on breastcancer.org

Worth following.

jezza

cheryl
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby cheryl » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:00 am

I have heard that before you go on Zometa, you have all your dental work done.

apparently some people are prone to osteocronosis (spel) of the jaw. I think its a small percentage, but is listed as a side effect.
Cheryl

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:07 am

I have had been on American chat when lots of girls have been chatting too fast to read properly about teeth problems after chemo.

Although it is probably the last thing you would feel like doing I think a dental check up before chemo is a good idea.

I do get your point though Chris. Every case is so different. Like when you say you have been dx with bc and ppl say "I know someone who had BC and they did yada yada yada" As though each case was exactly the same.

jezza

yowyow
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby yowyow » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:15 am

Chris, was just quoting my dentist, she said it is a huge problem for alot of people. What I am reading there needs to be more awareness or research into this problem. I will ask her next time I go but if anyone else has had mouth
problems post chemo, will it continue ?

Nav xxx with tooth aches

chris
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby chris » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:30 pm

How can Drs give difinitive comments on what MIGHT occour when every patient is so different & experience such different & wide ranges of symptoms? Plus I believe it is impossible for medicos to know in advance of treatment the individuals outcomes. Take for example my situation , I got pancreatitis almost unheard of after chemo & even after much serching by everyone on the web & in the hospital literature, we only found a couple of vague references to pancreatitis.Dont expect every single piece of knowledge from single individuals.Chris

yowyow
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby yowyow » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:20 pm

OMG jezza, Our onc's need to start informing us, $5000 would not be happy with that. Sh#%

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:43 pm

On 2nd thoughts I think it was $5000.00.

You got off cheaply nav!!

jezza

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:41 pm

Interesting topic.

Had a friend who was told she needed a $4000.00 tooth implant after chemo.

Doesn't seem to be enough information on this subject. I'm interested to read other ppl's experiences.

jezza

yowyow
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Post chemo teeth & gum problems

Postby yowyow » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:56 am

Hi all,

Went recently to the dentist and had xrays, the amount of problems requiring work now
compared to pre-chemo is very very sad.

My dentist had chemo 3 years ago and is very sympathetic, but also a bit mad
the Onc's don't seem to worry about after effects, just during chemo as in ulcers etc.

she said it should be reccommended to all about to start chemo' to have any work
done then, and to also have proffessional fluoride treatments after each round of chemo'
I know this adds to the cost of it all, but I am now looking at around $800 of work. The tooth she
has already fixed needed fluoride put in before the filling as it was crumbling. There
was no indication of this pre chemo start in June.

Anyone post chemo having problems?? will I need this sort of up keep for ever or can
our teeth strength recover ??

Thanks Nav

Return to “Primary Breast Cancer”