Mastectomy Hospital Stay Time

Discussions relating to primary breast cancer and treatment. Also for those recently diagnosed, and for those concerned about possible symptoms of breast cancer.
Amazonwoman
Guru
Guru

Postby Amazonwoman » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:55 am

I had my mastectomy 18 months ago in a private hospital. I had the surgery at 8.00am on Monday and went home at 10.00am Tuesday! With two drains in.

I must admit it was my own fault as I felt fantastic the next day and begged to go home. My surgeon agreed but tried to persuade me to stay one more day.

When I got home I soon regretted my decision. I was totally exhausted by every little thing. Just making a decision about what I wanted to eat was too much.

When I went back to my surgeon for my check up I told him I wished I had stayed another day at least and he said he would make sure other patients stayed in longer, no matter how much they begged!

Even if I'd stayed another day I would still have had the drains. One of them didn't come out for nearly two weeks. I had a nurse come every day to change the dressings and empty the bottles. I used to carry them around with me in a calico shopping bag. They came with me to the beach and the shops. I even gave them names!

I'm surprised to hear that most of you stayed in longer.

AW x

sedgymum
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby sedgymum » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:45 am

I spent 9 days in hospital for 1st mastectomy with large skin graft. I spent 6 days with 2nd mastectomy. No pressure, could have gone earlier but had blood pressure issues.

I am so glad I live here and not in the USA when it comes to comparing health systems.
Some day I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far behind me
Where troubles melt like lemondrops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me!

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:00 pm

I spent 9 days in hospital after bilat mastectomies and expander placement and just spent a week in hospital for implant placement and expander removal. I wasn't allow to go home with drains in.
Janette
Janette

Dx LCIS Dec 1997, Dx IDC, DCIS, bilateral LCIS Oct 2005 er+pr+her2-
Bilateral Mastectomies, expanders and silicone implants

yowyow
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby yowyow » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:16 pm

Hi Karin, I had my part' mst on a monday and came home friday, had bilat' mst on a thursday and came home
on tuesday, so I really don't thing there is too much difference but I had all three ops within 14 days so I dont know whether that had anything to do with it. I think we are so lucky with our medical system compared to US, it sounds like you could wait for months and months if you don't have insurance. I think they also have what we call medicare but from all reports their waiting times are cruel, compared to ours.
Last edited by yowyow on Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karin
Superstar
Superstar

Postby karin » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:46 pm

hey guys
What is the average stay for a masectomy, is it different to a partial masectomy?
i was asked if I wanted to leave a day after my surgery after having a partial,
but there was no pressure to leave!!!!!!!!
I ended up staying the extra night as I did'nt feel ready esspecially with four kids
at home. Having the drain still in did'nt help , the kids were a bit weary of me and
it did'nt look the best either, I had the drain removed 4 days after my surgery at home
by a district nurse.
Karin xxxxx

cheryl
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby cheryl » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:08 pm

they call that "drive through surgery"

there are a lot of concerns being expressed in the US about this and talk about hopefully changing it.
Cheryl

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:03 pm

I agree yowyow....you have SO many questions. I admit I was an absolute wreck the first few days after my first mastectomy.
I'm glad I didn't put my family through it. At least they could go home and get away from me. By the time I got home I more or less had myself back together.I think one lady I talked to in chat had mast. in morning and went home late afternoon!!!!!
Wow. I would have been a basket case if that had happened to me.

Jezza

yowyow
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby yowyow » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:33 pm

Hi Jezza, I Have noticed that. Even read a post this week where someone got their boyfriend
to remove them, that was incredible.

My surgeon asked me after 3 days if I wanted to go home (re little kids) but there
was no pressure to leave hospital at all, even after 5 days they asked if I was ready
to go. Could you imagine trying to function with those still in, as much as you say you
will go home and rest its still nothing like being in hospital.

Nav

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Mastectomy Hospital Stay Time

Postby jezza » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:50 pm

Have chatted to ppl on American sites who have had mastectomies and released after an overnight stay. They send you home with drains and all!

How would you be mentally let alone physically.

Maybe the Australian health system isn't so bad after all.

Jezza

Return to “Primary Breast Cancer”