Re excision after lumpectomy- what to expect

Discussions relating to primary breast cancer and treatment. Also for those recently diagnosed, and for those concerned about possible symptoms of breast cancer.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Buffy123
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Re excision after lumpectomy- what to expect

Postby Buffy123 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:38 am

Thank you Ruth and Jannet. The second surgery went well and it’s 2 weeks post surgery.

Your responses really helped me emotionally.

Thank you so much.

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:54 am

Hi Buffy,
Ive had many breast surgeries since I was diagnosed and one was for unclear margins - it really isn't anything to be concerned about - easy surgery and prob just a day procedure depending on the positioning of the clearance required.

You have managed the lumpectomy well so this wont be too hard either. Its a nuisance to have to go back for a bit more but you need to be sure its all out and over with. Let us know how you go and all the best for a quick job and recovery.
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:08 am

Hi Buffy
I've had a lumpectomy and 2 mastectomies. The lumpectomy wasn't very painful. My mastectomies were because I had expanders inserted.

It is common to find unclear margins and have another surgery. I had the same with melanoma.

Best of luck with your surgery, better to be safe, with what little extra discomfort it takes.
Janette
Janette

Buffy123

Re excision after lumpectomy- what to expect

Postby Buffy123 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:16 pm

Hello,

I was recently diagnosed of having stage1 breast cancer and had a lumpectomy plus reconstruction. 12 days after- yesterday, I was told margin was positive and need surgery again. I am shocked! I didn’t expect to go through surgery again so soon.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone would be kind enough to honestly share their experience in terms of what to expect on the day and post op especially around pain.

My experience with the lumpectomy plus reconstruction was not too bad- pain was almost non existent although I do have some swelling. My boob is mostly numb and itchy to be honest. And now I have to open it up again and nervous about what to expect.

Thanks so much..
Buffy

Return to “Primary Breast Cancer”