Satellite nodules and clear margins

Discussions relating to primary breast cancer and treatment. Also for those recently diagnosed, and for those concerned about possible symptoms of breast cancer.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Janette
Forum Legend

Re: Satellite nodules and clear margins

Postby Janette » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:38 am

Hi Heal,
Welcome to the forum

I was horrified at the thought of mastectomy but had 2 and have never looked back. Saving the breast knowing that there could be another tumour, would have worried me too much.

I think you seem to be doing your research pretty well, and hopefully you'll decide what the best option is for you. A diagosis certainly takes over our lives for a while but it gets better. :hugs:
Janette

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ruth1 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:19 pm

youre very welcome - ask away with anything you need to - so important to know and understand what your doing when going through this. I did my treatment 7 years ago.
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

Heal
Wise one
Wise one

Postby Heal » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:08 am

I am lucky enough to live in a city where I have access to excellent care through the public system. Yes I agree, preventing lymph node involvement is crucial. I will enquire about chemo after lumpectomy if I don't get clear margins. Thank you for responding, it's so appreciated! xo

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:00 am

are you in a country/rural area or a city? Makes a difference with treatment and expertise. I think its jts better to get out any tumour and surrounding tissue - do the pathology and see results which will tell margin clearance or not as well. In the meantime you can look at starting chemo which will take care of anything left sitting around. Its so important to protect it from your lymph nodes so removal is needed.
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

Heal
Wise one
Wise one

Postby Heal » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:32 am

That is a new idea thank you! I have met with surgeons and oncologists at 2 hospitals and no one has offered this option. They have all said that they would do a second lumpectomy if there weren't clear margins, and then a mastectomy if there were still no clear margins.
But your suggestion is great and sits well with me so THANK YOU, I will chat to them about this option. :D

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:55 pm

what about doing lumpectomy first and then chemo to shrink the remainder?

Heal
Wise one
Wise one

Satellite nodules and clear margins

Postby Heal » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:26 am

Hi, I am new to this forum and have recently been diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma right breast, ER pos, PR pos, HER2 neg, grade 2 but Ki67 50-60% on biopsy so possible grade 3. Unfortunately I have multiple small satellite nodules around the main tumour (which is 1.4 x 1.4cm). On MRI the whole affected area is around 3.5cm.
I am 45 and desperately want to avoid a mastectomy.

I have the option of a lumpectomy but I am worried that I will not have clear margins because of the growth of multiple satellite nodules.

I also have the option of chemo first to shrink the tumours. They will still have to take out the same amount of the tissue bed but my hope would be that I would have a better chance of clear margins. The doctors cannot give me a clear answer, as they cannot know how responsive my cancer will be to chemo until it is out and tested properly.

So my question is: Is there anyone out there who had multiple satellite nodules and had clear margins?

Also, did anyone choose chemo first even though it wasn't known whether it would even be needed yet?
Thank you in advance

Return to “Primary Breast Cancer”