breast implant inflammatory illness

Discussions relating to primary breast cancer and treatment. Also for those recently diagnosed, and for those concerned about possible symptoms of breast cancer.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: breast implant inflammatory illness

Postby ruth1 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:45 pm

that's a good result Chris - also nice to hear - Ive got to seriously consider my options now and costs too.
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:24 pm

A work colleague (now retired) has just had Tram flap surgery. Went without a hitch and home in six days. So much less traumatic than my experience thank goodness.

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:11 pm

Janette I too thought about Diep but decided against it because of same reasons as you. Now I am about to consult the Plastics again and see what he has to say about doing it. The thought of h=going back for another round of heavy surgery is sooo daunting!!!
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:09 pm

Hi Schoolie, - well its apparent there are 2 significant illnesses with implants - one is now recognized by th authorities and medicos but the other is still not given much credence. The first is lymphatic cancer risk - its called BIA - ACLC and thought to be rare but now looking like 1 in 1000 so perhaps not as rare as first thought. This cancer occurs because of bacteria that exist on the implants at the time of insertion which is a contaminate then when inserted the bacteria is left to slowly grow and it forms a biofilm over the implants. The bacteria then migrate to the capsules surrounding the implants and cells enter the lymph system. The textured implants of course grow far better because heavy texturing is a good growing environment - the immune system is unable to decontaminate so cells form that can turn cancerous. The TGA reported (Sept 2017) 56 Australian cases.
Secondly, there are many women coming forward with complaints of severe ongoing symptoms of toxic poisoning - the list of heavy metals and chemicals that are used to make these implants is scary and its now thought that there is a certain amount of microscopic leeching into the body of silicone and other nasties that cause illness. At the moment the medicos are still not convinced that this is an area of concern - bit like the old days when chronic fatigue wasn't recognized or RSI - looks like this has the potential to become a big health issue soon. Might take a while because its big business,
Last edited by ruth1 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:02 pm

There is a risk of developing lymphoma from implants, but it is fairly small. That wasn't known or disclosed when I got my first implants.

I have heard of problems with the older type implants, not sure how widely with the newer ones.

I was thinking about bilateral dIEP after busting my implant but the length of surgery plus the wait and the risk if your arteries aren't great of losing the reconstructed breasts changed my mind.

I hope things work out ok Ruth. :hugs:
Janette

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:01 pm

I haven’t heard of this. But not surprised. Implants are foreign bodies. Where have you heard this out of interest?
Hoping you get some answers soon. Sorry that you have to deal with this on top of everything else :hugs:

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:19 pm

:hugs: hi Ruth that's just terrible that you have to be going through this now,you have been through so much and have had all the worst side effects to everything.
But your right don't rush into anything until you get more info.
I am doing ok just so busy that I don't have time to think. Thanks for asking about me :hugs:
Rosa

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:08 am

Dear Rosa, so nice of you to send a hug - looks like I might have to have implants removed and do something else like diep which is a big surgery. Wont be rushing into anything yet - have an MRI and see what shows on that first. Hope you are doing ok Rosa. :hugs:

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:56 pm

:hugs: hi Ruth,so sorry to hear this,but at least you know the cause of feeling in well,what do they suggest?
Rosa

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

breast implant inflammatory illness

Postby ruth1 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:07 pm

I am having problems with ill health and its now pointing at an inflammatory reaction to implants - I have many issues - fibromyalgia, dizziness, pain and lots of other intermittent problems. Seems there is a growing number of women with these symptoms which is being attributed to implant toxicity reaction. Wondering if anyone else has had this please?

Return to “Primary Breast Cancer”