HER2+ and Taxotere

Discussions relating to primary breast cancer and treatment. Also for those recently diagnosed, and for those concerned about possible symptoms of breast cancer.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Re: HER2+ and Taxotere

Postby schoolteacher » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:29 am

Loopy, that is what the forum is for, supporting each other. I too was relieved to find others who had or were experiencing treatment fir breast cancer. I could ask questions and discuss what was happening without worrying my family.
It is hard for them to watch what you are going through. My husband was my rock. He took over household chores.
Everyone here understands exactly what you are through. It is tough. Your life has changed and it feels like the rug has been pulled out from under your feet. It will get easier and there will be life after treatment :hugs:

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ruth1 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:07 am

Nice to hear from you Loopy - how is the pain and have you found a better way to control it?

Yes another side effect is seeing family and friends coping with this. Very hard on everyone when the daily structure of life and work doesn't work the way it should. Hold on the fact that chemo etc will be over and you do get better. If you have offers of help from those around you - take it - having someone to clean the bathroom, shop or cook etc can really make a difference - many of us don't like to ask or impose.

How many more rounds of Taxotere do you have and what happens after that?
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

Loopy23

Postby Loopy23 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:40 pm

Dear Everyone who replied,

I am in tears with relief that you are there. This is such a scary and lonely journey. I hate the pain I'm causing my fiance and family. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for reaching out. It means so much to know I am not alone. :hugs:

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:26 pm

Hi Loopy
I had Taxotere along with Herceptin and Carboplatin in 2008-2009 (I was diagnosed in a October 2008.)
I can't say that I have memories of pain as such. I do remember feeling very stiff and struggling to get out of a chair to walk. I walked like an old lady.
I tried to do a short gentle walk every day but I struggled because Taxotere affected my breathing. So much so that I skipped the sixth dose.
Since treatment finished, I have found exercise and particularly stretching such as Pilates has helped enormously.
I remember the watery eyes too! And I slept a lot from day 3 following chemo for the first week then gradually resumed functioning.
It is a tough gig but 8 years later I am still here fir which I am thankful :hugs:

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:48 pm

Ooooh I had forgotten about the eyes, OMG, that was awful. Lucky or me I went on to radiotherapy after the chemo and the nurse there took one look at my eyes and insisted I see a doctor who prescribed me with antibiotics and it all cleared up almost immediately.
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:46 pm

Hi Loopy, I had Taxotere and the pain was horrendous, far too much for panadol. I don't know why the doctors are so anti giving pain meds for bone pain during chemo, it doesn't make sense. I did, however, tell my oncologist and she prescribed panadeine forte and tramadol. I wasn't given a lot an I used them with the panadol and managed to keep the pain to a minimum. I also found it helpful to take the pain killer before the pain hit as it seems to hit very suddenly and escalate quickly. Please ask your doctor and insist on something stronger than panadol.
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

chrismelb
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby chrismelb » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:10 pm

Hey loopy. are you one the panadol osteo? It is definitely more effective. From what i've heard it is the taxol drug which is giving you the dry eyes. Can you get the eye lubricating drugs? I am sure they'd help a bit. I have had to take ones for my mouth in the past and they certainly help.
good luck, chemo really is a ba@#$ard but it will be over soon a just a distant memory. Herceptin on it's own is just a walk in the park. Good luck and big hug xo
Dx 9/03 EBC
5/12 ABC bones-Herceptin,Tamox&Zometa
8/12 Liver mets-Abraxane,Herceptin&Zometa
6/13 Xeloda/Tykerb Xgeva
11/14 TDM1 Xgeva
1/15 Rads to tumour in head
2/16 Whole brain rads lepto. mets, continue TDM1
8/16. Navelbine, Herceptin
1/17 Neratanib Xeloda & Herceptin.

Mighty Oak
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby Mighty Oak » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:52 pm

Hi Loopy23,

I'm sorry to hear of your side effects from Taxotere. I too had four rounds and suffered the muscle and bone pain. The first round was awful and I was up all night with my dear hubby massaging my hips. I tried panadol to no avail and even panadeine forte but the best for me was a panadol and ibuprofen regime; 2 panadol then two hours later 2 ibuprofen then two hours after that another 2 panadol etc. That way your pain is managed every two hours but still spacing each medication 4 hours apart. Does that make sense? I would spend a couple of days in bed and try and sleep through it. It did seem to get easier as each round progressed. I have been having Herceptin since April and only have 5 rounds to go. My nose drips constantly and I get watery eyes (because of dryness) which I treat with lubricant eye drops as needed. I hope you manage to find something that works for you, and please let us know how you're going. If you have any more questions, please ask. There is usually someone around to give advice.

Hugs,
Mo xxx

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:08 pm

:wave: hi loopy,and welcome to the forum,I just wish I could advise something to help,but I am sure some of the others will,like Ruth has already said let onc know what your feeling :hugs:
Rosa

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:53 pm

Hi Loopy - welcome to our forum and so sorry to hear of your pain. I cant advise you as I haven't had the joy of taxotere but many on here have. You will get a reply from those members soon so please hang in - we are here. In the meantime please call your Onc back and say the Panadol isn't working and you need something else or maybe your GP might be able to help. Failing that - breast care nurses are good with advice. Sending you a big hug as what you are enduring is awful. :hugs: :hugs:
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

Loopy23

HER2+ and Taxotere

Postby Loopy23 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:57 pm

Hi All,

I was diagnosed with HER2+ BC back in October where it was also found to have spread to lymph nodes. Surgery followed, insertion of a port and chemo began in November. I have completed 4 rounds of AC, with my first of 4 of Taxotere (& Herceptin) just gone. I have read many of your posts and am praying you are all still out there as this is my first cry out for help. Onc advised to handle the pain of Taxotere with panadol / nurofen but after day 7 I can say that this isn't working. I've kept my fluids up, I've tried warm baths to no avail. Would any of you have any further suggestions? :sniff:

Return to “Primary Breast Cancer”