chemo and hearing damage

Discussions relating to primary breast cancer and treatment. Also for those recently diagnosed, and for those concerned about possible symptoms of breast cancer.
ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: chemo and hearing damage

Postby ruth1 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:25 pm

I saw the ENT surgeon who did sinus surgeries years ago. I went because I had some difficulty with swallowing and felt like I had a lump in my throat. He said I have globus ( no cancer). He used a tuning fork and decided my left side was impaired hearing wise so sent me for testing. I have a small amount of loss that I can detect - cant hear some tv programs unless its loud and have to ask people to repeat a sentence occasionally. My view is normal for age. The place he sent me to was very geared for profit and I was gently pushed into hearing aids at $7,000. I was told chemo causes loss and that on top of age I need to address it now - also told that if you ignore it the brain rewires to accept the hearing loss level as normal and wont repair down the track - I am a bit sus but this point. Hence my post to see if this has been told to anyone else. I saw GP yesterday and asked for another test at a 'not for profit' place.
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

Mighty Oak
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: chemo and hearing damage

Postby Mighty Oak » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:08 pm

What a pain!! Just another thing to add to the growing list of side effects. Do you think your hearing has changed recently, Ruth? My son in law has mentioned that he thinks I need a hearing test. I'm not convinced....hearing and listening are two different things, hahahaha!! It's not something I've come across in my reading, I'll be interested to note if anyone else has been told a similar thing.

Mo xxx

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

chemo and hearing damage

Postby ruth1 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:28 pm

went for hearing tests today - the Audiologist told me that chemo can damage hearing and can become apparent several years post chemo - has anyone else been told this please?
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

Return to “Primary Breast Cancer”