chemo and hearing damage

Discussions relating to primary breast cancer and treatment. Also for those recently diagnosed, and for those concerned about possible symptoms of breast cancer.
ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: chemo and hearing damage

Postby ruth1 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:37 pm

Thx Chris - I have some time now to plan for this and work out my options. Your advice helps a lot as 1 place buys up wholesale older stock of big brands and sells cheaper with free servicing for a time. Another place sells more up to date stock cheaper but with very limited servicing. That is why I was asking whether these things require frequent or otherwise attention. Think I will go with the 2nd option.
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:40 pm

Im sorry, I thought I replied to this last week. Mustn't have checked it saved. I have the aid and my hearing checked annually. It was free for the first few years under warranty from memory. I remember being surprised..when I paid fir appointments it was only around $50??? They hook it up,to a computer to adjust settings/volume etc, after checking yo see if my hearing has deteriorated.
At 5 years I sent it in for a repair as it stopped working. That was in September last year They did say they generallynladt 5-7 years.

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ruth1 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:25 pm

Thanks Rosa, - I don't need it now so I was told today but I will in a year or so. This industry is one that could do with some investigation I think. It seems to be organized to charge big markups. Ive been on a US forum and very interesting stories on there.
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:22 pm

So expensive, it really does feel sometimes like it's never ending. I had to pay around that for both my husband's and my CPAP machine. In the end I burst into tears when I had to give the rental one back and buy my own and they gave me an old one free lol. I was horrified but it had been such a bad day and I had just got off the phone after talking to the bank re our mortgage. This was when I was doing chemo and wasn't working and things were getting really tight. Such a low point.

I hope you can put a bit away over the next year or two to help you get the hearing aid
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:00 pm

:wave: hi Ruth,that's so expensive, hopefully you won't need the aid right now or never.
Rosa

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:02 pm

Ive had my consult and she was really nice and tried to be helpful. Can you both let me know how often you have had to have your aids adjusted or serviced please - she told me that the aids last only 5 years and then need replacing. Also said they need adjusting from time to time - obviously individual variance means cant tell how often in life of aids. She has advised some options but the service available with cheaper aid purchase is very limited. The cost at a private practice for a service with patient supplied units is $1500!! I am lucky insofar as she revised her opinion of my need and said it can wait and have another test in 1 to 2 years.

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:54 am

Thx for that info Chris. I am sure there are cheaper options so into the research now to find them. I am going to see if the audiologist will give me some king of script so I know what I need.

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:22 pm

I have a hearing aid that sits inside my ear. It cost $2000 5 years ago and I had ongoing annual hearing checks when the aid was adjusted using a computer.

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:27 pm

ha Chris - you certainly abuse your poor aids lol!! No I don't have 7k to buy any at the moment and not likely to have it in the future either. I am going back tomorrow to see the audiologist and to inform her that I cant do this. Ive looked on ebay and the same brand are on there but I don't have the specifics to know what to buy. Still working on this but I did find out that what I was told re the brain rewiring to accept reduced hearing levels and not rewiring to correct with increased levels later is correct. Its therefore necessary to get the aids as soon as I can so I can correct what's reduced now.

By the way - how are you these days?

chrismelb
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby chrismelb » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:29 pm

Ruth i hope u didn't fork out the $7000! I actually go to Hearlink and pay nothing but i do live on disability pension. From what they have told me these are right up to date so i am not getting inferior/old product. My problem is that i am very good at breaking mine!! twice i've snapped off the little 'heel' which helps keep it in position and when i was pruning the lemon i got it caught and stretched the tubing. Oh and i've also dropped one into a cup of tea but i got it out quick smart and rinsed and blow dried it very quickly. that was ages ago and it is fine.
Dx 9/03 EBC
5/12 ABC bones-Herceptin,Tamox&Zometa
8/12 Liver mets-Abraxane,Herceptin&Zometa
6/13 Xeloda/Tykerb Xgeva
11/14 TDM1 Xgeva
1/15 Rads to tumour in head
2/16 Whole brain rads lepto. mets, continue TDM1
8/16. Navelbine, Herceptin
1/17 Neratanib Xeloda & Herceptin.

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:23 pm

I wear a hearing aid but I have an hereditary condition (otosclerosis) I could have surgery to replace the stapes bone but I'm kind of over hospitals and procedures :ouch:
My GP suggested I hold off as long as the aid helps as the surgery could cause tinnitus. It's great for sleeping! I can lay on my good ear and not hear a sound

chrismelb
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby chrismelb » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:48 am

I have to do something else before i go into this but i am now a hearing aide wearer which i assume is lepto mets but it could also be constant chemo for 5 years. I haven't even read above posts. GT get an email off.
Dx 9/03 EBC
5/12 ABC bones-Herceptin,Tamox&Zometa
8/12 Liver mets-Abraxane,Herceptin&Zometa
6/13 Xeloda/Tykerb Xgeva
11/14 TDM1 Xgeva
1/15 Rads to tumour in head
2/16 Whole brain rads lepto. mets, continue TDM1
8/16. Navelbine, Herceptin
1/17 Neratanib Xeloda & Herceptin.

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:34 pm

It does get like that Ruth doesn't it? We can but keep plodding along and hope nothing else comes up.

:hugs: hang in there

Judy
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:56 pm

interesting Judy - thanks for sharing that. I'm feeling a bit clapped out - nothing works properly anymore.

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:14 pm

I think my hearing has deteriorated but not sure if due to chemo. Years ago my friend had to have chemo for testicular cancer. He was told at the time that it could affect his hearing and in fact he didn't have the last chemo dose as they thought that it was affecting his hearing and as he was a musician and music teacher they didn't want to risk it deteriorating any more than it had.

Return to “Primary Breast Cancer”