lung disease

Discussions relating to primary breast cancer and treatment. Also for those recently diagnosed, and for those concerned about possible symptoms of breast cancer.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: lung disease

Postby ruth1 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:41 am

Judy, I saw a Psych at the cancer clinic a few years ago who prescribed anti d's. I took these tabs and got perisitent tinnitus. Looked up se's and sure enough it was on the list. Went back and she very curtly said - it only occurs in 1% so doubt that's the cause of your discomfort. I said it happened after the first few days. I then got a very curt response - oh so you think you are the 1 in a million do you!! I left and saw my GP who told me she had several patients on same drug with same reaction. I changed drugs and it stopped. I didn't have rads but I do seem to be sensitive to meds. Hope you are doing ok Judy. :hugs:
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:50 pm

Sorry to hear you are having further health issues Ruth. Did either you or Christine have radiotherapy? I know when I had it I was told that it would be touching on both my lungs and my heart and could cause further issues down the track, just a thought.

As far as the 1% goes I am so sick of hearing how 'rare' things are only to find out that many people have those 'rare' issues. When you consider how many people have chemotherapy 1% is quite a few people really, isn't it.

I hope you can get some good treatment for this Ruth and keep it in control.

:hugs:
Judy
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:00 pm

Thanks Rosa - please try not to smoke - I can tell you from experience its just not worth risking the illness I'm having now. I haven't smoked for over 20 years and back then I was more of a social smoker and certainly not daily. How I regret that now. Of course we all know people that can smoke into old age and have no problem. My Aunt died at 85 and smoked all her life with 1 lung!! She had bronchial issues which didn't stop her but she did suffer during the last 10 years.
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:38 am

:hugs: hi Ruth,so sorry to hear about what you have been going through. I agree lucky it's not C..
I have been doing a really foolish thing by having an occasional ciggy yep I know really silly,sometimes I just don't care but know suffering with on going issues is not good
Hope you get some relief Ruth xx
Rosa

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:31 pm

No need to apologise for going off topic here MO. :hugs:
Janette

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:20 pm

Mo - that's terrible for your husband and yes you are right about infectious people travelling. I got this infection interstate and staying with friends with kids so probably picked it up along the way. Dr thinks its bronchiecstasis and permanent. As for the chemo causing damage - the percentage is extremely low (1%) according to the article I read but it does happen. My lungs weren't good prior and chemo caused significant breathlessness during the course which never really resolved but I will never know if chemo is to blame. As for when the damage occurs - evidently it can be at the time the drug is administered or years down the track. Its a nuisance to be so vulnerable to infection and its also causing fatigue and waking me in the night - but at least its not ca!!! :happydance:

Mighty Oak
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby Mighty Oak » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:21 pm

Ruth1,
So sorry to hear of your respiratory problems, that's the pits! Getting to the stage of not being able to breathe can be very frightening. At least now you appear to be getting on top of it, but it's been a long slog for you :hugs: Time to enjoy the summer sunshine!
My husband and I did a trip to UK a few years ago and while on we tour picked up a severe infection from a fellow passenger, who'd been sick for 10 days before he joined our tour. It went through 25 of 38 passengers on board our coach. While everyone eventually got over it, it triggered bronchiectasis (COPD) in my husband which has left him needing to kneel on the floor several times a day to cough and drain his lungs. It is a permanent condition for him now that leaves him especially vulnerable to chest infections. What I can't understand is why sick people think it's ok to ignore symptoms and 'soldier on' leaving the vulnerable among us at greater risk. Whilst your problem seems to be chemo induced, you can still be adversely affected when exposed to bugs and viruses. I realise that we shouldnt wrap ourselves in cotton wool, but a little bit of thought would go a long way!!
I was unaware of a link between lung damage and cyclophosphamide. Ruth, do you know if it's something that develops over time or whether it presents itself early if you are going to be prone to it? i wonder what the Incidence is, of those treated with cyclophosphamide to develop lung problems!

Sorry for the rant, I went off topic a little bit :sorry:

Mo xxx

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:53 am

oohhh sounds like me only you've had collapse - Ive had a couple of pleurisy episodes. Its scary isn't it when breathing is difficult and so painful. I doubt that anyone will say much about chemo but I did discuss with Dr. I found a medical article from reputable source that stated cyclophosphamide can cause lung issues years down the track post chemo but the incidence is very small but it does happen. I see the Onc in a couple of weeks but I did ask him last year as Ive been getting repeated severe inflammatory issues leading to infection averaging an episode every 10 weeks. Then it takes a month to treat with cortisone and antibiotics. The Onc didn't say much last time so non committal response. This last episode started end of Nov and finally responded after cortisone and 3 courses of antibiotics but it hasn't resolved fully so I am coughing all the time and exhausted from it. I definitely became very affected with chemo and it didn't resolve just became this chronic condition that's worsening now. Happy Days!! - at least its not cancer!

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:41 am

Hi Ruth
I would be interested to find out more. My lungs are weak, as in I get upper respiratory asthma (and did prior to chemo) I had pleurisy in the early 80's and have struggled with uphill climbs ever since. My lungs collapsed during revision surgery following breast reconstruction. I can walk all day on the flat but hills/steps kill me.
It would be interesting to find out if chemo has exacerbated the problem.

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

lung disease

Postby ruth1 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:28 am

after a vigorous round of testing I have been dx with upper respiratory disease - not sure of the long term implications yet as the test results came through and GP fitted me in for a quick consult for a script for meds. I have spent the last 6 weeks with nasty infection and breathing problems. It was mentioned that cyclophosphamide may have caused damage but my lungs were less than perfect before chemo. The problems have certainly been worse since chemo. I was concerned about secondary ca - my mother had ebc then secondaries in her lungs. The scans have cleared that worry - its been a stressful start to the NY. I will find out more of what the future will be like when I see the Dr in a couple of weeks.

Return to “Primary Breast Cancer”