Lumpectomy Help

Discussions relating to primary breast cancer and treatment. Also for those recently diagnosed, and for those concerned about possible symptoms of breast cancer.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
kiwijan
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Lumpectomy Help

Postby kiwijan » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:47 am

Help for Lisa. I had a lumpectomy in 2005 - followed by 5 weeks radiation - then 5yrs of taking tamoxifin [ops not sure of spelling]. Tamoxifin is one tablet a day. I suffered "hot flushes etc. for the first year and then no side effects whatsoever]. I am now through all that and had annual check-ups for another 5yrs after finished taking tamoxifin and now discharged.
I am 75yrs old. However; my daughter aged 48 has just gone through exactly what I had and has just finished radiation. She is back at work full time and entering 1/2 marathon a couple weeks back.
To be honest all of it was not bad at all. Bit sore underarm where nodes taken etc. and radiation takes over your life when having it as its 5 days a week; so life has to revolve around these appointments. My daughter stayed at accommodation that is for cancer patients and walked to radiation app. each day [about 1/2 km]. We both got a little tired during this time.
Lumpectomy does leave a scar and makes the effected "boob" smaller than the other one. You can choose reconstruction or do what I did and I wear a silicone cup inside my bra and it makes the smaller boob the size of the other one.
I have no idea if this is what you are wishing to hear or not Lisa. Feel free to ask anything you want to know. Oh; after lumpectomy I spent one night only in hospital. My daughter did better than me; she went home the same day as her lumpectomy. :hugs:
Stage 1; Grade 11; bc. ER/PR positive; lumpectomy and rads. Finished 5yrs of tamoxifen on 1/11/10

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Lumpectomy Help

Postby jezza » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:58 pm

Hi all. we have a new member Lisa1965 who has asked for info in General discussions from those of you who have had a lumpectomy and the sentinel node procedure.

Great if those who have been through it all can share experiences re recovery time etc

jezza
Dx Jan. 1992 9mm Grade 3 IDC node neg. LB mast. Prophylactic RB mast. 6 months later. No chemo. No rads. Saline implants. 22 years NED. (No Evidence of Disease)

Return to “Primary Breast Cancer”