Radiation

Discussions relating to primary breast cancer and treatment. Also for those recently diagnosed, and for those concerned about possible symptoms of breast cancer.
JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Radiation

Postby JudyB » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:51 pm

MO it was more an inconvenience than painful and most people don't burn like I did. I really just wanted you to know that despite my bad burning no scarring happened apart from the little red rash of the damaged blood vessels.
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

Mighty Oak
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Mighty Oak » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:37 pm

Rosa,
I have heard about the aloe vera. Must get some next time I'm at the shops. I need to get the pure gel as I only have the one with all the additives in it. Did you moisturise with the sorbolene day and night and use the aloe vera in between? How often would you apply it?
Mo xxx

Mighty Oak
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby Mighty Oak » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:31 pm

Hi Judy, thanks for keeping it real. I'm glad you were honest, I appreciate knowing what I might have to face. I don't like things to catch me by surprise! I've got a pack of panadeine forte in my cupboard, so I'm set! I can deal with the burns however unpleasant it may be, knowing they will eventually heal, but I was kind of freaked at the prospect of permanent damage.
Mo xxx

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:14 pm

:wave: I hope you don't burn too much mo,try using fresh aloavera after radiation,it really helped me,I kept it in the fridge and would put it on when I got home.
Rosa

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:26 pm

OK, I wasn't going to tell you this because I didn't want to frighten you but I had really awful burns, my oncologist said they were some of the worst she has seen and of course it got infected and I had to postpone radiotherapy for a week. Having said that though I must say it didn't really hurt a lot as the mastectomy made me numb. The doctors kept throwing panadeine forte at me saying how bad it must hurt, they wouldn't believe me when I said it didn't. Funny how the oncologist could only give me one packet of panadeine forte when I was begging for pain killers during chemo but the radio oncologist gave me five packets when I said I wasn't in pain, go figure. Anyway I digress, my main reason for telling you this is that as soon as I stopped the radiotherapy the burns cleared up really quickly and my skin went back to normal, well as far as I can tell anyway. I do have some damage to the blood vessels on part of my breast but that is the only reminder that I have had radiotherapy. I would hardly call it disfiguring. So stop worrying, it won't leave you disfured. I hope you don't burn much but if you do then I hope the numbness from the operation helps you also.
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

Mighty Oak
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Radiation

Postby Mighty Oak » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:49 pm

Hi ladies,
Have had 7 radiotherapy sessions already. Gee the time is flying by so fast! I was just reading a post on the 'other' forum and a lady mentioned having a second reconstruction after all the burned skin from radiation was removed. I'm really concerned now that the radiation is going to be quite disfiguring. My radio oncologist said that some people burn and some don't, but I didn't get the impression, by the way he spoke, it was permanent. I have fair skin which easily goes pink on a 17 degree day so I won't be shocked if I do burn....but is it likely to be that bad? I pile on the sorbolene cream at least twice a day and more if I'm able to.
Mo xxx

Return to “Primary Breast Cancer”