Radiation

Discussions relating to primary breast cancer and treatment. Also for those recently diagnosed, and for those concerned about possible symptoms of breast cancer.
JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Radiation

Postby JudyB » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:37 am

That seroma sure is a pain in the neck! I hope the nails get sorted out soon too. Your fatigue should start to get better soon, I'm surprised that you weren't warnted that that would be a side effect that happens later in the treatment. It usually hits its peaks about two weeks after radiation ends apparently. It probably is more noticeable now too as treatment is over and you are impatient to start feeling better, I know that's how it worked for me.

Good luck with the pesky problems, hope they get sorted soon.
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby The new girl » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:03 pm

:hugs: hi MO,sorry to hear your still having problems with the seroma,I had problems with my nails going very weak,my toe nails were the worst,I lost my little toe nail and it never grew back but my big toe nails were very loose and I lived with the fear of loosing them,I ended up putting band aids on some of the weaker nails.wishing you all the best
Rosa

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:49 pm

I'm sorry to hear you are still having side effects from treatment. It has to get better and soon I hope you will be looking back on all this. Hang in there, you've done so well. :hugs:
Janette

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:19 pm

Mo - it does keep on giving unfortunately so many of us have had the little extras to deal with and it isn't easy - just when you think its all done and dusted too. Fatique is a real issue and can last - are you on daily AI's now? I am on femara and still get terribly tired every day. That seroma is certainly hanging on - hopefully you will beat it soon. I didn't have probs with my nails so cant advise there but someone else will no doubt be able to tell you their experience of that problem. Sounds like you are doing the only sensible things you can until that appointment.
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

Mighty Oak
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby Mighty Oak » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:39 pm

Hi girls, thanks for all your good wishes. I'm still having my rads site monitored and dressed each day by the nurse. There are two angry looking areas which I treat with solugel twice a day and the rest gets treated with sorbolene in between. The fatigue is pretty debilitating....never felt anything like it. I was surprised it hit me so late in my treatment at session 23 of 25.
When my skin is a bit better I will have this lingering seroma drained....can you believe I'm still dealing with the little pest!

Another pesky side effect has arisen! The chemo damaged two of my fingernails a couple of months back so that they became loose. I've been very careful not to catch them on clothing etc., well recently they started getting sore. On close inspection I noticed that they had contracted and become ingrown! It just so happens to be on my lymph node clearance side so I'm nervous about infection and possible lymphedema. I'm seeing a hand surgeon on Dec 2 which will probably lead to excision of the nails. In the meantime I'm treating with betadine and bandaids. Hope I can hang on until Dr.'s appointment. Hahahaha, it just goes on and on and on....

Hugs to all,
Mo xxx

winterlong
Superstar
Superstar

Postby winterlong » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:17 am

:rose: :rose: :rose: :grouphug:

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:55 pm

:v_happy: great to hear it's all over MO, rest up!
Rosa

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:40 pm

Congratulations MO. You have done so well and will inspire others. :hugs:
Janette

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:21 pm

Mo, don't envy you that fatigue - its like no other - you cant just push through it. Good that its now all over and you can get on with getting on. :clap:
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:04 pm

Well done on getting through :rads: It sounds like the nurses are taking good care of you. :clap:
Now to rest and recover :hugs:

Mighty Oak
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby Mighty Oak » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:02 pm

Hey girls,
Finished my 5 weeks of radiation yesterday, woo hoo!! I've got 3 small blisters and some very red, angry looking skin that is sore. The nurse yesterday piled solugel and mepitex dressings all over my left chest and underarm, then covered it all in wadding for comfort, then elastic net to hold it in place! Using natural aloe Vera wasn't encouraged because of potential infection risk on broken skin. I'm to use Solugel am and pm with sorbolene a few times in between until I see her again on Monday. Fatigue had been ok until Tuesday when I felt like I'd been hit by a train. I was teary at rads and very pale with high bp. I came home at midday and slept for six hours, ate a light dinner and went to bed again for another 8 hours! The nurse said it was the best thing for me to do although sleep doesn't really help with this kind of fatigue. I guess now it's all over, time will be the greatest healer.
Mo xxx

winterlong
Superstar
Superstar

Postby winterlong » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:29 pm

Hi Mighty oak.
So pleased you are coping with Rads ok so far!

Having nice nurses each day really helps I found.
I'm with New Girl.
fresh aloe vera all the way.
They have plants growing in the courtyard where I had mine done. I'd pick some, and whack it on straight after each session. I went very red last few sessions but that was it.
Used the cream as well.
I wonder if you could buy a couple of plants..as New Girl said, keep some in fridge as well.
Best of luck.
:hugs: :heart:

Mighty Oak
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby Mighty Oak » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:08 pm

Hi Lyn,
I'm doing pretty well with radiation at the moment (fingers crossed) and just have slight reddening. I'm not feeling any discomfort or heat either. The staff at rads are really happy with the way my skin is behaving as I have very fair and sensitive skin. The girls did say that it can be really difficult to say who will and won't burn. Sometimes the olive skinned people can have bad reactions and the fair ones can sail through. Like many things in life, it's just the luck of the draw. I haven't used anything other than sorbolene 3 times a day. I've still got eight sessions to go, so I'm not counting my chickens just yet, but I'm just happy that it's doing what it's supposed to do.....killing off any baddies.
Mo xxx

LynR

Postby LynR » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:10 pm

Hi Mo, I finished radiotherapy in January. I did burn, but my skin didn't break down. It was uncomfortable at times, but not unbearable. It healed quickly. I had just used the moisturiser and ointments they gave me at the hospital. The skin on that breast is still a different colour to the other breast, and on my chest/just below my neck, but it's not really obvious, just like I've got a bit of a tan. Hope you're going ok, Lyn

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:44 pm

:wave: Mo,I used the gel in between the gel and panadol for the heat the burns were causing but not much pain,it looked worse than it felt
Rosa

Return to “Primary Breast Cancer”