Anti Estrogens

Discussions relating to primary breast cancer and treatment. Also for those recently diagnosed, and for those concerned about possible symptoms of breast cancer.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mighty Oak
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Anti Estrogens

Postby Mighty Oak » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:16 pm

Thanks so much for that information, Judy. I guess I'll just wait and see what my oncologist deems the best medication for my particular needs. As for the stiffness and feeling 90 years old........I'm there! Lol. I've got the stiff knees and shoulders already.
Don't you just love all the little 'extras'? Isn't bc enough!!

Hugs,
Mo xxx

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Re: Anti Estrogens

Postby JudyB » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Tamoxifen is an oestrogen blocker which only blocks the oestrogen. The others of which there are quite a few, Femara and Arimidex seeming to be the most common are oestrogen inhibitors which actually inhibit the making of oestrogen. Your oncologist will determine whether or not to start you on Tamoxifen for a few years and then swap to one of the inhibitors or just put you straight onto the inhibitor. I did three years on Tamoxifen and then had my ovaries removed and switched to Femara (Letrazole). Yes I get hot flushes and I believe they can return even if you have already gone through menopause but that doesn't mean you will get them. Some people tolerate the meds well, others have a few problems (like me) and others just give up because the side effects are shocking. The worst side effect for me (unless you consider the uterine cancer as a side effect from the Tamoxifen) is the stiffness in my joints, I feel 90 years old most of the time. I have another three years so I will soldier on.

Just a note, people here have said that when their side effects are too awful they have switched to a different generic brand of the same medication and that particular side effect went away or wasn't as bad so don't be afraid to ask for a different brand.

Good luck and don't worry as most people do tolerate them ok, you can always stop taking them if you don't like them.
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

Mighty Oak
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Anti Estrogens

Postby Mighty Oak » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:54 pm

Hi ladies,
I'm due to start taking an anti estrogen after my radiation concludes and I was just wondering which ones are available. I know about Tamoxifen. What are the names of some others and do they all have similar side effects? I was put into surgical menopause in 2013 and had hot flashes for about a year. Will they return on anti estrogens? Not that that I suffered badly; just curious. I'm a bit of a hot bod at the best of times!

Hugs, Mo xxx

P.s. I have my first rads session today. So pleased to get started after nearly nine weeks post mastectomy thanks to seroma.

Return to “Primary Breast Cancer”