We have lift off.....

Discussions relating to primary breast cancer and treatment. Also for those recently diagnosed, and for those concerned about possible symptoms of breast cancer.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: We have lift off.....

Postby JudyB » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:04 pm

I have never heard of the breathing technique either and am guessing it must be quite new as I would have been a prime candidate for it. I was just told that the radiotherapy would be touching on both my heart and lungs which would put me at a higher risk of heart disease down the track. Look forward to that one lol. This was only because my heart is what is known as butterfly something or other, I can't remember the exact details but it makes it sit higher than normal. They weren't concerned about the lungs at all as far as I know.

I hope radiotherapy goes well for you. It's very quick and easy and doesn't really start affecting you much until you are over halfway through it. The one good thing about mastectomies and radiotherapy is that you are numb and if there are burns they don't hurt lol. Bittersweet but a plus I think.
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

Mighty Oak
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby Mighty Oak » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:17 pm

Jezza,
The parking at Berwick isn't too bad, we always seem to get a park.
Here's a link about the radiation technique. http://www.radoncvic.com.au/for-patient ... nique-dibh.
Have a good weekend.
Hugs,
Mo xxx

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:44 pm

Great explanation MO and I have never heard of it. I have learnt something. I wonder if it's a new thing . Anyone know? I have never had rads so I guess it's not surprising but I haven't seen anyone discuss it on here.

Good that you don't have to go into the city every day.I hope the parking etc is easy at Berwick if you are driving. Some of the hospital car parks closer to the city are very busy.

jezza
Dx Jan. 1992 9mm Grade 3 IDC node neg. LB mast. Prophylactic RB mast. 6 months later. No chemo. No rads. Saline implants. 22 years NED. (No Evidence of Disease)

Mighty Oak
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby Mighty Oak » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:38 pm

Thanks Jezza, yes......finally! If patience is a virtue, I must be a saint. Lol!!!
The deep breath inspiration hold, is a technique whereby you hold a deep breath while the radiation beam is active. Apparently it moves the heart and lungs well away from the radiation pathway. By not being able to do it won't put me at risk, it just gives the techs a larger clearance area if its able to be done. You wear goggles in the ct machine which shows a box, and below the box is a yellow line. When you inhale the yellow line moves into the box and when it turns green, you hold your breath for twenty seconds. I kept overshooting the box by breathing too deeply. My inconsistency ruled me out of this technique. I was told that smokers actually do better because they cant breathe as deeply. Go figure!
Hugs,
Mo xxx
P.s. No I don't need to go to the city for rads, I go the other way, to Berwick. I live in Mulgrave.

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:17 am

Finally! ...lol..What is the deep breath thing and what is it supposed to do? I think I must have missed that somewhere along the line.Do you have to travel to the city every day for rads?

So please for you that you can start next week.

jezza xx
Dx Jan. 1992 9mm Grade 3 IDC node neg. LB mast. Prophylactic RB mast. 6 months later. No chemo. No rads. Saline implants. 22 years NED. (No Evidence of Disease)

winterlong
Superstar
Superstar

Postby winterlong » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:13 pm

best of luck with the rads mighty oak.
hope it all goes smoothly for you.
:hugs: :heart:

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:47 pm

:wave: all the best with radiation mo
Rosa

Mighty Oak
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby Mighty Oak » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:28 pm

Thanks ruth1 and Janette,
Feels good to be moving forward again. :v_happy:
Mo xxx

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:09 pm

MO
That's great that the seromas have stopped. :hugs:
Janette

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:46 pm

Mo, good that the seroma has finally subsided and you are on to the next bit. Hope it all goes smoothly and no more issues.
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

Mighty Oak
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

We have lift off.....

Postby Mighty Oak » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:35 pm

Hi all,
Saw radio oncologist this morning and,thankfully, he was happy to do the mapping session with a view to starting my radiation next Thursday. I had my seroma drained on Monday and there has been no problems with it filling up again. Yay! I've not heard of anyone else who could actually hear the fluid sloshing about when they walked!!!
I'm a bit disappointed that I couldn't do the deep breath technique, but I was reassured that it isn't a problem. Apparently more than half of the women treated for the left side struggle to get it. I could breathe really deeply and hold my breath for 20 secs., but they required a level lower than I could consistently manage.

Hugs,
Mo xxx

Return to “Primary Breast Cancer”