Home

Discussions relating to primary breast cancer and treatment. Also for those recently diagnosed, and for those concerned about possible symptoms of breast cancer.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Home

Postby The new girl » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:30 pm

:hugs: hi mo,great to hear your doing so well,you should breeze through radiation,it's so quick,just hope you don't have to drive to far for it. Enjoy the return of taste buds as well,I know I did.
Rosa

Mighty Oak
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby Mighty Oak » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:59 am

Hi all,
Just over two weeks from surgery and I'm feeling pretty darn good. I'm doing my exercises 4 times a day and whilst there is a little bit of discomfort stretching high above my head, which is on the side I had the node clearance, overall I'm recovering well. I'm managing a half hour walk with hubby and my two dogs each day.....stamina or lack thereof is my problem at the moment. Chemo seems a distant memory now! My tastebuds must be nearly back to normal as I haven't been complaining about my lack of taste. Yesterday I rugged up and sat outside with coffee for a couple of hours and did some reading. I haven't been able to concentrate on reading a book since diagnosis in January, and it was really enjoyable. You're right, schoolteacher, you tend not to 'sweat the small stuff' anymore. I sat in the sun reading and didn't feel guilty about the housework that needed doing. I have an appt. with surgeon on Monday morning which I'm looking forward too as I still have the dressing on the wound and it's looking pretty old and manky now! Before radiation starts I'm going to enjoy the small respite from treatment. I have mapping on 11/8 so I guess it will be on again shortly after!

Hugs to all,
Mo xxx

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:22 pm

Great to read you are home. Now you can rest and recover I always struggle to sleep in hospitals.
The other plus to come out of treatment (apart from new friends) is you never sweat the small stuff again! I remember thinking and saying constantly " how important is it in the scheme of things"

Mighty Oak
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby Mighty Oak » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:17 pm

Janette, Ruth & Rosa,
Yes, it's great to be home again with hubby and fur babies. You are right Rosa, you do meet some wonderful people on this journey. It's not a trip any of us want to take, but had we not taken it we wouldn't have met these people.

I have a follow up appt with my surgeon on Monday. The last time I saw him in hospital was Saturday morning and he mentioned that I may need a day procedure at some point just to smooth out my chest a little bit in the middle after the swelling subsides. He said that larger ladies can get a bit pouchy there. I think he wants his work to look as neat as possible. I'm ok with that!

Radiation is the next step :rads: I have my mapping session on 11/8. How long after do you usually commence treatment?

Hugs to all,
Mo xxx

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:48 pm

:hugs: Mo your not waffling,it's a great feeling to come out the other side after everything you have been through. It's great you were able to connect with someone going through the same. And yes going through this journey you meet some wonderful ladies and with me see life so differently,having more compassion,patience and just try to enjoy life and if I didn't have to work I would be stress free but life is a challenge. Wishing you all the best. When does radiation start?
Rosa

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:32 am

its sooo nice to be home isn't it Mo. I am really happy for you that you have come this far and dealt with all of it in such a positive manner. Making a new friend is a bonus too. By the time summer comes this year you will have new everything - hair and eyebrows too.
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:44 pm

Hi MO,
So happy to hear you are at home. Your attitude is wonderful and we are privileged to have you share that with us. How right you are, you went to hospital with a cancer and left it there. I hope your recovery continues with little discomfort. :hugs:
Janette

Mighty Oak
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Home

Postby Mighty Oak » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:49 pm

Hi girls, home at last after 10 nights in hospital. My last drain came out this morning. It was still producing fluid but surgeon was weighing up the risks/benefits and decided that if left in any longer it may pose an infection risk, so out it came. All of my nurses during my stay became friends (and some of the cleaning staff!) and I will be forever grateful for their care and compassion. Nothing was too much trouble and I felt very special and well cared for.

It was great to get home but by 11.30am I was dozing off as my hubby was talking to me! I went for a nap after lunch and slept for 3 hours! I've been doing my exercises 4 times a day since the day after surgery and now have full range of motion. The tight band feeling isn't quite as intense but I feel that it will probably be long lasting!? I have to say, apart from the whole 'cancer' issue, it's been a positive experience.

I know I have radiation to go to complete my treatment plan, but it was evident today when I got home that I entered the house as a well person compared to being a sick person when I left the house to go to hospital over a week ago. We really are a combination of body mind and spirit. I've left my disease in the hospital rubbish!

I met a lovely lady on my hospital ward who is travelling a similar path with a double mx. We have the same surgeon and oncologist. We have exchanged numbers and intend catching up soon. cancer (with a small c) has taken my boobs, my hair and eyebrows and eyelashes, and given me a risk of lymphedema which I need to constantly protect against. But out of the negative comes a positive; I've made a new friend as well as all my cyber pals on this forum.

I feel like I waffle on a bit sometimes, but when I was first diagnosed my breast are nurse gave me a journal to write down my feelings to help me process everything. This forum is my 'journal!' And it's helped enormously. Thanks girls.

Hugs to all,
Mo xxx

Return to “Primary Breast Cancer”