Cycle 8 - My last chemo

Discussions relating to primary breast cancer and treatment. Also for those recently diagnosed, and for those concerned about possible symptoms of breast cancer.
Janette
Forum Legend

Re: Cycle 8 - My last chemo

Postby Janette » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:11 pm

Hi MO,
I understand how you would feel being in limbo for 3 weeks waiting for surgery. I imagine the delay might be to allow you to get over the chemo. I waited for 6 weeks for surgery and my imagination did me no favours. You seem to have handled chemo so well, I hope the up coming surgery doesn't phase you. The time will go pretty quickly. :hugs:
Janette

Mighty Oak
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Mighty Oak » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:39 pm

Eirelass, My hands don't seem quite as red at the moment, but it comes and goes. It's the tingling which bothers me the most, especially when I'm in the kitchen wielding a knife lol. As Ive now finished chemo I know each day will be closer to me feeling like my old self again. My last chemo nearly pushed me too far, but I guess that's what was intended. I feel like I'm in a void at the moment as I wait for surgery. Eirelass, I do have a surgery date which is on Friday July 22 just under three weeks to go. I'm keen to get on with it!
Hugs,
Mo xxx

Eirelass
Superstar
Superstar

Postby Eirelass » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:05 pm

Love your positivity MO Hope the hands are improving.

My daughter has hand foot and mouth disease at the moment :sniff: Her 8 week old had it first. Yuck. Hope that isn't it - seems to be a bit about. Enjoy getting out and knowing you don't have to go for more chemo.

When is your surgery etc? Do you have a date yet?
Dx 28/3/12, EBC, Invasive DCIS; 4/5/12 Hookwire WLE & SNB, Grade 2, 16mm, 0/3 nodes, clear margins, ER+ PR+, HER2-; Rads July-Sept 2012. Tamoxifen. Writing my story www.girlinthepinkfreeruns.com

Cancer will not change you. It will amplify who you already were before you were diagnosed

Mighty Oak
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Mighty Oak » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:20 pm

Thanks for your good wishes ladies. I'm getting better every day. Next Wednesday would have been chemo day, typically, so I guess from then on I really am getting better every day. From what I've read and experienced, I think the worst is behind me. Three weeks today I have my surgery. In the meantime I'm going to try and get out and about while I feel good. Maybe a lunch or two and a bit of shopping that isn't in the supermarket, lol.

Hugs to all :grouphug:
Mo xxx

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:44 pm

Taxotere side effects increased with each dose I received also. It's rugged. Thank goodness you have finished :hugs: :hugs:

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:01 am

:wave: hi mo,hope you start feeling better soon
Rosa

Mighty Oak
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby Mighty Oak » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:43 pm

Schoolteacher, Janette,
Rash is a little better today but still seems worse in the evening. I've read up on it and it is not an uncommon s/e which can be treated with antihistamines. This last Taxotere just pushed my body a little too hard I think. And for the first time I've got a metallic taste in my mouth (shudder) lol.
Hugs,
Mo xxx

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:34 pm

Hi MO,
How is the rash, any better? :hugs:
Janette

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:46 pm

I didn't have a rash but others may have. Is it itchy? I imagine a cortisone cream would ease it. Perhaps call your oncologist? Or BC nurse if you have one.

Mighty Oak
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby Mighty Oak » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:55 pm

Hi ladies, just wondering if anyone has developed a rash on their hands from what I assume is chemo. The rash appeared very lightly last cycle for a couple of days but it appears more defined this round. I'm day 12 of cycle. It seems more pronounced in the evening.
Cheers,
Mo xxx

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:47 pm

Hi MO, I was very scared to look at myself after the mastectomy but did it quite by accident the morning after when I had a shower. I think I whimpered and my husband who was helping me shower said 'it's ok' and I snapped out of it. I was actually quite impressed with how it looked, it was very neat and clean. I wasn't given a bra until quite a while afterwards and when I finally got it it was the wrong size. I also hated the cheap prosthesis they gave me as it was too light and I ended up just going without. I only had one breast removed and wore singlets with loose shirts. After about six weeks I asked my friend to make me a false boob which she did and it actually worked quite well. There are patterns on line if you google them. When I was able to wear a real prosthetic I went and had it fitted at a local lingerie shop. I cried when I left the shop as I was so impressed with how it looked. I had no problems at all with it, even in the hot weather. I had a second pair for swimming and I splashed out and bought some expensive bathers for women who had had a mastectomy. I have had a reconstruction now and still wear those bathers.

Good luck with the mastectomy, I'm sure you will fly through it with the attitude you have. I was terrified and I found it quite easy.
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:09 pm

Hi MO,
I think the Breast Care Nurse generally arranges for a bra and temporary breast form from BCNA to be sent to you. The bra has improved since my masts. They have clips front and back and are a bone colour. I had a good chat with a breast care Nurse in hospital recently and ask to see a sample she was showing another patient.

I can only describe my reaction to my masts, I showed my friends, took photos on my phone, so I wasn't disturbed at all afterwards. I thought I might be though and was pleasantly surprised. I know others who have not worried about reconstruction who are quite happy with their decision. If that changes in future you can always choose recon later. :hugs:
Janette

Mighty Oak
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby Mighty Oak » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:22 am

Hi all, glad to say I'm feeling much better today. It's funny isn't it how we all have our own little idiosyncrasies with treatment from respiratory problems and swollen ankles to upset bowels and blocked tear ducts. I'm just really happy that everyday from now on should be getting better. I know that my acid/cardboard mouth usually peaks the week after chemo (now) and that I can taste a little by the next cycle. With no next cycle coming up I'm so excited to have the daily improvements, even if it takes a while to fully recover.

I'm keen now to get my surgery done. I wonder how I will feel when I see myself for the first time post surgery? Will I be given something to wear in my bra, like a temporary breast form, when I leave hospital? I don't know how long after surgery it will be before I can go proper bra and prosthesis shopping. I'm still very comfortable with my decision for no reconstruction. I've actually been looking at clothes in a new light. Some styles just aren't flattering on busty girls so I've steered clear of them in the past. Now I might be able to try a new look. It's quite exciting!
Are there any other double mastectomy women out there who haven't had reco? I'd love to know how life is for you now.

Hugs to all, :grouphug:
Mo xxx

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:05 pm

Hope you are feeling better soon MO. I still say the last one was the worst, I thought the side effects would never end. My problem was swollen legs and feet, I could barely walk and all I wanted was my taste buds back and that seemed to take forever.

You are so close, hang in there.

:hugs:
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:40 pm

Wow, I never had those side effects. My respiratory system is my weak point so I coughed during treatment then slept from day 3-5. It's the tiredness and joint stiffness I remember, and the taste buds. Metallic flavour :(
Onwards and upwards from this week on :hugs: :hugs:

Return to “Primary Breast Cancer”