Mouth Ulcers...Help!

Discussions relating to primary breast cancer and treatment. Also for those recently diagnosed, and for those concerned about possible symptoms of breast cancer.
chrissie
Guru
Guru

Re: Mouth Ulcers...Help!

Postby chrissie » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi there

Re. mouth care. My Onc nurse has also warned me about TCH causing discoloration of teeth (something to do with enamel renewal) and recommended Tooth Mousse. The pharmacist confirmed that it has an ingredient that isnt in any tooth paste. Its tricky to find, but dentists sell it I believe.

Sorry thats not about mouth ulcers!
I have just been using bi-carb rinse but Ive been lucky so far. x

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:42 pm

Bicarb is an alkaline and will counteract acid to my knowledge helping the ph balance if too acid.
Janette

Dx LCIS Dec 1997, Dx IDC, DCIS, bilateral LCIS Oct 2005 er+pr+her2-
Bilateral Mastectomies, expanders and silicone implants

ginnykins

Postby ginnykins » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:36 pm

I know most people tell you to use bicarb mouthwashes for mouth ulcers, but I swear by a hot salt water gargle. Make the water as hot as you can stand, and gargle a couple of times a day. I actually found it worked better than the bicarb, but that's just me!

Hope your ulcers go away soon, they're definitely not pleasant :hugs:
Age 38, DX March 2013, R Mast, Grd 3 IDC, 20mm, 13mm, 6mm, margins clear, 0/13 nodes. T/C x 4, RADS x 25 (July).

Gail
Forum Legend

Postby Gail » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:28 am

Hi, I also used the bicarb with warm water and swished around before and after meals. More is not better as far as quantity. Just 1/4 tsp in a small glass of water.
"You Gotta Laugh!"

Gail

Diagnosed April 2006,Lumpectomy,17 of 25 nodes positive, chemo, radiation. Finished treatment March 07
Diagnosed July 2012 cancer of mediastinal(nodes around lungs and heart)pelvis and spine. Up for the fight!

angel33
Superstar
Superstar

Postby angel33 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:07 am

Hi "the new girl"
I would ask onc about your sore throat.
During chemo I got a sore mouth/throat, neck glands and tonsils.
If ever in doubt ask your dr...eg there are many reasons like reflux from chemo, oral thrush???, or just redness....
Hope it improves
angel33
:wave:
EBC 1997, bony mets Dec 2000, liver mets april 2007, chemo since

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:35 pm

:happydance: thanks to every one on advice on mouth ulcers,can any one tell me if you can get them in your throat? My throat feels not quite right,was at my Gp the other day and so I told her my throat felt sore when I swallow but she said only a little red no infection. :wave: the new girl

angel33
Superstar
Superstar

Postby angel33 » Tue May 29, 2012 7:12 pm

I too am a biotene mouthwash and toothpaste fan.
When I have chemo that may have mouth ulcers as side affects, during chemo I eat icypoles, ice, slushies whatever I feel like. This helps prevent them.
Good luck
angel33
:wave:
EBC 1997, bony mets Dec 2000, liver mets april 2007, chemo since

yowyow
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby yowyow » Tue May 29, 2012 9:15 am

Hi, not sure where you are in Melb'... but Peter Mac makes a special mouth wash.
I could get it from Freemasons Clinic chemist and I would guess others have it too.
I got sick of doing salt water rinses and the Peter Mac one at least has some taste.
I rinsed 3 - 4 times a day, depending on meals.

I didnt get any ulcers until after my last chemo when I stopped the rinses too soon.

For a quick fix...( but beware it stings like a b%#ch!!!!) put a touch of vegemite on them...
again... IT STINGS LIKE A b%#ch!!!! initially but seemed to clear them quicker than anything
else I tried..... and, I tried hard, they were even on my tongue and even to talk hurt heaps,
as tongue rubbed on teeth... :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

You poor thing, they are another crappy side effect
Nav
every day without laughter is a wasted day !!!!

dx May 06. IDC 1.5cm & DCIS 5cm - Triple Neg - grade 2, 2/15+ nodes
FEC x 6 - skin and nipple sparing bilat mast with silicon gel implants
NED

KarenC
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby KarenC » Mon May 28, 2012 11:54 pm

I also used Biotene regularly morning , night and midday (if possible) along with a very soft toothbrush.
Invasive Ductual Carcinoma Bre grade 3, ER+/PR+ Her2+ Feb '10 Lumpectomy 20mm clear margins clear lymph nodes Chemo March '10 Taxotere Carboplatin Herceptin 5 weeks radiation Femara - 5 years

Victoria
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby Victoria » Mon May 28, 2012 11:03 pm

Agree with the Biotene. Available at Coles or Woolies. Expensive but worth it. Buy a very soft toothbrush or even a childs toothbrush. Avoid acidic foods.
There is a form of laughter that springs from the heart, heard every day in the merry voice of childhood, the expression of a laughter -- loving spirit that defies analysis by the philosopher, which has nothing rigid or mechanical in it, and totally without social significance. Bubbling spontaneously from the heart of child or man. Without egotism and full of feeling, laughter is the music of life.

LuvMyLab
Superstar
Superstar

Postby LuvMyLab » Mon May 28, 2012 9:55 pm

Hi there, good luck with your treatment. Yep - Biotene x 1000. It worked for me too. :hugs:
Dx July2010: IDC 2cm Gr3 Stg1 ER-/PR+(weak) HER2+ TC+Herceptin + Rads+Tamoxifen

carmie
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby carmie » Mon May 28, 2012 9:06 pm

......& the Biotene mouth spray is great to carry around in your handbag for when you can get out & about.
Carmel

Dx 31/05/11, RB skin sparing mast with silicone implant 21/6, DCIS approx 15cm, IDC 3cm grade 2 stage 2 ; 2/13 nodes, ER/PR+,HER2-, Ki-67+ : TAC x6, Radiation x28. Hormone therapy to follow. Tamoxifen May 2012- July 2012 - Stroke July 2012 switch to Femara Oct 2012

jayem
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jayem » Mon May 28, 2012 9:02 pm

Hi, I love my iPad as well. I was warned to rinse my mouth with a bicarb soda wash. I did this religiously after every meal and between meals when I went into the en suite to the loo, the jar of mouthwash was made up ready to use (thanks DH). Change to a soft toothbrush as well and be very gentle in your ablutions.
Jan

Dx 20 Sept 2006, 2 cm IDC + DCIS, 1/16+ node, ER+, PR+, HER2-, 4 AC, 4 Taxol, 33 rads
CFEM Trial 5 years Arimidex, 5 year SOLE trial Femara
Dx Aug 2016 neuroendocrine cancer in pancreas, mets to liver, abdominal nodes, hip, skull, scalp and breast.

Skettie
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby Skettie » Mon May 28, 2012 7:34 pm

Hi New Girl & welcome.
I we'd Biotene toothpaste & mouthwash as well - I gargled frequently!
Salt water & bicarbonate soda gargle can help also. Definitely let your Dr know as soon as possible.
Jealous about your iPad!! Hope your living it!!

Good luck with the remainder of your treatment. You'll find the ladies on this site a wealth of information & a huge support :-)
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow ~ Mary Anne Radmacher

Dx 21/04/11
4 x AC, 4 x Paclitaxel
LB Mx 22/09/11. 14cm ILC 4/10 Nodes positive ER+, PR+, Her2 Neg
Rads Tamoxifen + Zoladex. Next RB Mx & Recon.

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Mon May 28, 2012 7:24 pm

:wave: hello to you too. You are well along the road already. What chemo mix are you having? Different drugs have different side effects. I had Taxotere and was warned about the mouth. I used Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash and gargled with it religiously, that seemed to keep problems at bay. Don't use any alcohol based mouthwashes. Talk to your onc also about any side effects, they can prescribe something to help with mst of them :hugs:
DX OCT 08, 9mm Her2+ grade 3 tumour and DCIS. Nodes clear, wide local incision, unclear margins so LB mastectomy, chemo Taxotere Carboplatin Herceptin Tram Flap Nov 2011

Return to “Primary Breast Cancer”