First of my second type of chemo treatment

Discussions relating to Gynaecological cancers and treatment, risk, symptoms, etc
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: First of my second type of chemo treatment

Postby ruth1 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:05 pm

oohhh Judy just read this and I feel for you with the awful effects and no sleep etc. Its a really hard time to get through. Just keep fingers crossed that for all this it does some good work and blitzes things back into submission. :hugs:
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:50 pm

Thanks girls, it is scary isn't it Christine. This hasn't been the best chemo ever, my bones are killing me to the point where my feet just feel constantly achingly cold. I am getting very little sleep at night due to this and nothing i take seems to work for long. I am howver getting a bit of reading done :wink: and won't be long before i finish the one I picked up on chemo day. I love my PM library.
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

chrismelb
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby chrismelb » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:18 pm

Sounds awful Judy, you poor thing, it sounds absolutely dreadful. I also had a reaction to my loading dose of Herceptin when first rediagnosed. Like u I had had it before and really it was only Herceptin. I started to feel cold and then I was shaking, my neck was in agony and I was in a really bad way and like you half the nurses descended on me and were pumping in drugs left right and centre. I had had Herceptin for 2 whole years a few years earlier and t never felt anything, bizarre. I don't know about the restless legs but I do know Maxalon can make you really agitated which is why I now always refuse it.
I hope you feel OK now a few days down the track.
Here's to a really uneventful three more doses xo
Dx 9/03 EBC
5/12 ABC bones-Herceptin,Tamox&Zometa
8/12 Liver mets-Abraxane,Herceptin&Zometa
6/13 Xeloda/Tykerb Xgeva
11/14 TDM1 Xgeva
1/15 Rads to tumour in head
2/16 Whole brain rads lepto. mets, continue TDM1
8/16. Navelbine, Herceptin
1/17 Neratanib Xeloda & Herceptin.

Marydean
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Marydean » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:38 pm

Massive hugs Judy - sounds so awful and so scary. :hug: But I just wanted to reassure you - now you've had the reaction, they will watch you really carefully to make sure you're ok. I had a (very mild compared to yours) reaction with my first chemo, and after that they gave me an extra pill each time and also they slow down the rate of infusion. I don't know why that makes a difference but it does, and I never had any problems after that. Just a word of warning though - the extra pill was one that made me really sleepy, so you might be a bit zombie afterwards. All good though if it means you don't have a rerun of that reaction!

ETA - I just wanted to add - love that attitude! Nearly halfway done, that's the spirit. :wink:
Dancing through life, healing every cell in my body.

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:52 pm

I had no problem with Taxotere which made me a bit blase about this I'm afraid. They said the histamine would wear off soon after I commented on it. I didn't realise that it was a side effect of what they were doing, just thought it was choosing it's time to annoy me as I sometimes get it in the evening although not this bad. Unfortunately they had to give me more to help withe other reactions. They said next time they would give me an oral histamine that wouldn't do it hopefully. As far as I know they didn't give me a sedative but who knows what they popped in the mixture and I doubt I took in everything as I was quite upset.

Thanks girls, while it was distressing it's over now and hopefully won't happen again. I have been very lucky so far until now. For some reason I have felt rather uneasy about this lot of chemo but I hope this is the worst apart from the usual suspects.

:grouphug:
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:47 pm

:hugs: I had the allergic reaction to Taxotere Judy but it was coughing and breathing difficulties...your reaction sounds much more severe.
I can relate to the antihistamine and restless legs too. It's awful! Did they then give you a sedative?
Hoping the next one is easier :hugs:

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:52 pm

Oh Judy,
That must have been terrifying for you. I hope you keep as well as possible, and you don't feel too worried about the next session. Hopefully they will watch like a hawk and make it as easy for you as it can be. :hugs: :grouphug:
Janette

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:23 pm

omg Judy, that's sooo incredibly scary - feeling like you could die right there is beyond words. So glad they got it under control quickly but that restless limb feeling is horrible too. It will be hard for you to go back now with that fear.

I had an allergic reaction to IV antibiotics with some of the symptoms so I know that fear of this is it.

I remember doing the countdown too - I think it helps to make it seem faster getting to the end.

Hope you don't feel too awful in a few days. :hugs:
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

First of my second type of chemo treatment

Postby JudyB » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:33 pm

Yesterday I had my first Carbo/Taxo treatment. I guess I was a bit laid back about it all as I have had so much chemo before with few problems and absolutely no problems with the actual infusions. Well so much for that. I had an allergic reaction to the Taxo and I have never felt so awful or been so scared in my life. They had warned me it could happen but as I have had Taxotere before and was told that Taxol was easier to tolerate I got rather blase about it all. They had told me the symptoms and I was reading away (just texted my son to say that all was well and I was actually quite enjoying being waited on with food and a good view and good book) when my mouth started to feel a bit strange. I thought to myself 'I wonder if this is part of a reaction and I should look out for chest restriction" when wow it was like my whole body exploded. I went incredibly hot and dizzy and started seeing flying white darts, then my body started aching and my poor tummy was so painful. I wasn't expecting it to be so quick. I had been told that they would be watching me carefully so I turned around to call out for help but the nurse had his back to me. I couldn't get my voice loud enough so I looked at a visitor next to me and quietly asked her to get help. She looked a bit perplexed but got the picture I think but luckily as she was deciding what to do the nurse looked around and realised what was happening.

I really thought I could die, it was hideous. I don't handle nausea like that well and all I could ask was will I be ok, how long will it take. The staff, all seven of them, were so good. They had put screens around me and sat with me the whole time. I was so hot and ill and throwing up. Luckily once it was over they managed to give it to me a bit slower and someone sat with me for the first half hour to make sure there were no more reactions. Next time they will start me off slow and they say that after that my body should be accustomed to it and there will be no problem. Unfortunately on top of this the anti histomine they gave me caused restless leg syndrome which seemed to extend to my arm so I couldn't even relax that well afterwards. It was an incredibly long day and I was glad to get home.

Thankfully today is as usual a good day and I am resting but organising too for the next week where I won't feel so well. One down, three to go. I tell myself that in three weeks I will be halfway there.

Thanks for listening.
:grouphug:

Return to “Gynaecological Cancers”