Triple Negative & BC Gene

To keep information about Triple Negative Breast Cancer together and easier to access.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
kazza
Your Maj
Your Maj
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby kazza » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:30 pm

I qualified for testing because I am adopted, 39 at dx, basal type tumour, triple neg. Got the results today - no gene mutation they could find. Both my Onc and the pathologist recommended testing as it appeared very likley. Note that because I am negative my twin sister is now not elegible for testing nor is my daugther or neice. They do however qualify for yearly mamogram's on the public system as the genetics department have made that recommendation. I have been told my daughter now is considered to have a slightly higher risk than normal of breast cancer due to her mother having breast cancer. Goes to prove there are possible gene mutations out there that don't know about yet.

For now I am just very happy with the results. The end of treatment is now firmly in sight.

Hugs
Kazza

Doxiamonev
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Doxiamonev » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:04 pm

Hugs

Doxia
Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses." Alphonse Karr

Dx 27.12.07,Gr 3, IDC Lt breast 1cm (Prim Ca) & 2.5cm (L/Node)
Bilateral Mastectomy & tissue expanders inserted, Axc. clearance 1/17+, Triple Neg.Tx 4 AC chemo,12 wkly Taxol (28/7/08)2 yrs NED!

yowyow
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby yowyow » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:49 am

I dont meet the criteria for testing

diagnosed at 36, triple neg, uncle with prostrate
no other cancer in my family that we know of, ever.

80% of BRCA1 are triple neg, but not 80% of triple negs have BRCA1
Nav
every day without laughter is a wasted day !!!!

mum2chloe
Enlightened one
Enlightened one

Postby mum2chloe » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:25 pm

Hi Sach,

I had gene testing Brca1&2 sequencing, MLPA analysis and P53, all came back negative. I was dx at 28 with bc and my mum at 37, hence why i was recommended to have genetic testing. We are in a grey area they are saying that there it is a chance it is gene related, wait and wait until there are more scientific breakthroughs.
Hence why i went ahead and had my ovaries removed to.
Dx July 2002 age 28. ER, Her2 pos 96mm tumor. 8/12 nodes.
Mast. Chemo AC & Tax,Rads, Tamoxifen & Zolodex,
Nov 2008 Oophorectomy, Arimidex, Femara.
Oct 2011 Recon surgery LD flap
May 2012 Dx Liver mets , 2yrs Abraxane & Herceptin.
June 2014 Aromasin & Herceptin

Doxiamonev
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Doxiamonev » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:49 pm

Hi Sash,
I am triple negative and have had both genetic testings done- BRAC & MLPA.
I didn't have any BC cancer history in my family but I have a younger brother who was dx with prostate cancer at the age of 27. The genetic dr's felt my cancer may be genetic related as apparently breast and prostate cancer are linked so they recommended genetic testing.
I got my results and both came back negative :clap: but I was told that there are so many unknown genes that who knows? I was told I will be informed when new genes are discovered & if they feel I am eligible they will contact me- so who knows.
I don't know why some doctors want testing for some and not for others.
Hugs

Doxia
Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses." Alphonse Karr

Dx 27.12.07,Gr 3, IDC Lt breast 1cm (Prim Ca) & 2.5cm (L/Node)
Bilateral Mastectomy & tissue expanders inserted, Axc. clearance 1/17+, Triple Neg.Tx 4 AC chemo,12 wkly Taxol (28/7/08)2 yrs NED!

Lisa8
Enlightened one
Enlightened one

Postby Lisa8 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:04 pm

Hi Sach,

I was told should have genetic testing because I had triple negative breast cancer at 30 and because my mum had ovarian cancer. I tested positive to a BRCA 1 mutation. Was a bit difficult to track the gene fault because it came through my mum's father and his father without causing them ill health.

Lisa

Broni
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Broni » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:26 pm

I have no family history of breast cancer, however there is a prevalence of other cancers on my fathers' side of the family.

Neither my oncologist nor my breast surgeon will discuss genetic testing for me irregardless of my triple neg status, because I am not "high risk" - it's hard to know why some doctors advocate for testing and others do not :roll:
Broni

[color=blue]life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning to dance in the rain[/color]

DX 12/09/07 Gr 3 DCIS
RB Mastectomy, ANC 11/10/07
9/27 lymphnodes
Triple Neg
dose dense 4 x AC 4 x taxol
40 rads
Prophylactic LB mastectomy 17/12/09
Still dancing with NED, 7 years on

vespa
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby vespa » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:01 pm

I think Janette is right - I have no family history whatsoever but being triple neg and younger apparently made me high risk for the gene.

Ginny.x.

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:48 am

Hi Sach,
I think the prerequisite for the testing is a close family history. I'm sure there are lots of triple negs without a family history. One of the genes the BRCA1 I think is 90% odd triple neg though.:hugs:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/BRCA
Janette

sach
Guru
Guru

Triple Negative & BC Gene

Postby sach » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:42 am

Hi all,
I've noticed a lot of you have had genetic testing and some of you had your ovaries removed.
I was 31 when diagnosed and absolutely no family history whatsoever (both grandmothers still alive).
I've heard that being triple negative may indicate you carry the gene, is this correct?
None of my medical team (who are all great) have ever mentioned genetic testing and when I asked they said it would be highly unlikely I carry the gene.
For those of you that had the gene test, did you have a family history or was it just something your medical team recommended because you were young or had a specific type of BC?
Sach

Return to “Triple Negative BC”