karen8...........Triple neg Questions

To keep information about Triple Negative Breast Cancer together and easier to access.
karene8
Been there, done that
Been there, done that
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hi Broni and Doxia

Postby karene8 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:40 pm

Thanks for your support Broni and Doxia, just messaged new topic about time in hospital. A bit yucky, but all ok now.

:angel: Karen XXXXXXXXXXXX

Broni
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Broni » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:32 am

:hugs: thinking of you today Karen........keeping everything crossed that your first infusion goes well and the se's are not too severe..... :hugs:

Broni

[color=blue]life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning to dance in the rain[/color]

DX 12/09/07 Gr 3 DCIS
RB Mastectomy, ANC 11/10/07
9/27 lymphnodes
Triple Neg
dose dense 4 x AC 4 x taxol
40 rads
Prophylactic LB mastectomy 17/12/09
Still dancing with NED, 7 years on

Doxiamonev
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Doxiamonev » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:20 pm

Hey Karen,
I just wanted to pop in and wish you well with tomorrows chemo, will be thinking of you :hugs:
Drink lots of water, take all your meds & rest. Hope TAC is kind to you. :hugs:
Take care :hugs:
Hugs

Doxia
Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses." Alphonse Karr

Dx 27.12.07,Gr 3, IDC Lt breast 1cm (Prim Ca) & 2.5cm (L/Node)
Bilateral Mastectomy & tissue expanders inserted, Axc. clearance 1/17+, Triple Neg.Tx 4 AC chemo,12 wkly Taxol (28/7/08)2 yrs NED!

cas145
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby cas145 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:44 pm

sending more :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: Cas

karene8
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

You are all so great

Postby karene8 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:48 pm

Heys girls,

Kerri, Janette, Cas, Anne, Karen and Lorraine, Thanks guys for your lovely messages and wishes. You are really great. I feel so much better knowing I have your support.

I will let you all know how it goes. Very, very nervous, so not sure what I am in for. I know you all say it's doable, but I can't help but worry.

By the way Kerri, I am going to Flinders Private Hospital in Bedford Park, SA. Appointment is 9.20am.

Apparently takes 2 and half hours for TAC.

Thanks again, take care :grouphug: :wave: :crybaby:

kerri

Postby kerri » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:26 pm

Hi Karen,

I will be thinking of you tomorrow too. You have plenty of lovely women here who understand and are ready to help you through your chemo.

I hope that you will be one of those women who manage chemo well.

Do you mind me asking which hospital you're having chemo at?

Well, where ever it is, I'm sure you'll be well looked after by the nursing staff.

And be sure to take good care of yourself and rest, rest, rest.

Image :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:08 pm

Karen,
All the best for tomorrow from me too. :hugs:
Janette

Anne L
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby Anne L » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:29 pm

Karen,
All the best for tomorrow - my thoughts will be with you.
xx :hug:
Anne
DX 04/08 DCIS T2 ALND 0/11+ Mastectomy Arimidex

Imamumof4
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby Imamumof4 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:17 pm

Karen~41~Wife~Mum to 4 (17,16,11,5)~Multifocal IDC Grade 3 T2 + 2 x T1 + DCIS ~ ER+ PR+ Her2- ~ Mast & SNB 4 June 2008 ~ Axillary Clearance 2 July 2008~1/12 Nodes +~31 July 2008~FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3~Tamoxifen ~ 19/01/2012 - Multiple mets to lungs and liver - Zoladex & Femara.

Rainenz
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby Rainenz » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:13 pm

Karen

Just to let you know there is plenty of hope for us triple negs and I am nearly12 years out from being dx with hormone neg BC they didn't test for her2 back then.

Chemo is doable but can be had, my best advise to you is take all the meds your Oncologist gives to help with the side effects and most importantly drink as much as you can before, during and after each chemo by being really hydrated if seems to help it flow through without quite so much toxicity.

Will be thinking of you as you start this chemo journey :hugs: :hugs:
Lorraine :kiwi:

Dx Dec 1996 LB 3.6 medullary, 6/14 nodes... Tx Lump, 6 x AC and 30 x Rads
Dx July 2006 RB 3.5 IDC + DCIS, 29/34 nodes... Tx Lump/Mast, 4 X FEC, 6 X Taxol and 25 x Rads. Triple Neg. BRCA1+

karene8
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Thank you

Postby karene8 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:54 pm

Hey Cas,

Thanks for your reply, and with all the wonderful support you guys have given me so far on this forum, I will not be stressing half as much as I would have.

You really are gems.

Take care Karen XXXX

cas145
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby cas145 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:30 pm

Karen try not to stress to much chemo is not nice but all said its not that bad either you will think the end will never come but it will and more quickly than you think lots of :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: Cas PS I have just read your my journey and you dont need to be sorry for what you are writing as we have all been new to this more :hugs: :hugs: Cas

karene8
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Re-Triple Negative Studies

Postby karene8 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:22 pm

Hey Yow Yow,

I cannot tell you how wonderful it was to read your e-mail. Finally, someone has given me some positive feedback to absorb. You are a god send my friend. Thank you, so very very much.

I am feeling so much more positive about entering into the chemo world on Thursday.

Keep in touch. BLESS YOUR HEART

XXX Karen XXX

yowyow
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby yowyow » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:21 am

HI Karen, alot of mumbo jumbo below, but basically it says chemo is very very effective on
triple negative breast cancer. Chemo is not nice, but as Doxia said, its doable.
After reading the info below, it makes sense for people with triple negative BC
to hit it hard with chemo.

of Chemotherapy in Breast Cancer Depends on Estrogen-Receptor Status
M. D. Anderson News Release 04/11/06

When it comes to chemotherapy treatment for women whose breast cancer has spread to their lymph nodes, the estrogen status of their tumors matters, says a team of researchers in the April 12 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association.

Analyzing data from three clinical trials with a total of 6,644 patients, they determined that chemotherapy works much better in breast cancer that is estrogen receptor-negative (ER-) than many people think, and conversely, doesn't work as well in estrogen receptor-positive (ER+) cancer as believed, says the study's lead author Donald Berry, Ph.D., chair of the Department of Biostatistics and Applied Mathematics at The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center.

This conclusion will come as a surprise to many oncologists, Berry says. Women with "node-positive" breast cancer routinely are given chemotherapy, regardless of their tumor type. Women who have ER+ tumors are also given tamoxifen, a drug which inhibits estrogen use by the cancer cells.

"Our analysis shows that tamoxifen works very well for a number of years and taken as a group, there is little or no benefit of even the cumulative effects of modern improvements in chemotherapy for women with ER+ tumors," he says.

"All in all, this is good news because it shows that the benefit of chemotherapy for ER- tumors is surprisingly dramatic in the same way that tamoxifen's effect is substantial for ER+ tumors," Berry says.

The research team, which includes investigators from top cancer centers nationwide, studied outcomes from three large randomized clinical trials which tested the optimal use of chemotherapy in node-positive breast cancer. But none of these trials, all of which were conducted by the Cancer and Leukemia Group B and the U.S. Breast Intergroup, considered estrogen status or whether women had received tamoxifen, largely because the diagnostic importance of estrogen status for chemotherapy was not recognized at the time the trials were designed, Berry says.

Accumulated evidence indicates, however, that improvements in chemotherapy disproportionately benefit women with ER- tumors, Berry says; so the research team decided to statistically model the relative contribution of chemotherapy treatment given estrogen receptor status.

They found the absolute benefits due to chemotherapy were greater for patients with ER- tumors compared to those with ER+ tumors. Specifically, 22.8 percent more ER- patients were disease-free after five years if they received chemotherapy versus 7 percent of ER+ patients. The corresponding improvements for overall survival were 16.7 percent versus 4 percent.

The researchers also compared the different chemotherapy regimens tested in the trials, and found the latest chemotherapy combination studied - biweekly doxorubicin/cyclophosphamide plus paclitaxel - lowered the rate of recurrence and death in ER- patients by more than 50 percent, compared to the low-dose regimen used in the first study.

"This tells us that breast oncology has made enormous strides in treating patients with ER- tumors, a finding which contradicts the prevailing wisdom that with the development of tamoxifen and newer selective estrogen receptor modulator drugs, the benefits of medical science have been primarily focused on ER+ tumors," Berry says.

"It is true that tamoxifen changed the landscape for ER+ tumors, but the playing field has now been leveled somewhat given the fact that ER- tumors respond well to modern improvements in chemotherapy regimens," he says.

The study was funded by the National Cancer Institute through its support of the national cooperative oncology groups: the Cancer and Leukemia Group B, the Southwest Oncology Group, the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group, and the North Central Cancer Treatment Group.

Co-authors include Constantine Cirrincione with the Cancer and Leukemia Group B Statistical Center; I. Craig Henderson, M.D., from the University of California at San Francisco; Marc Citron, M.D., from Albert Einstein College of Medicine; Daniel Budman, M.D., North Shore University Hospital; Lori Goldstein, M.D., from Fox Chase Cancer Center; Silvana Martino, D.O., from the Los Angeles Clinic and Research Institute; Edith Perez, M.D., from the Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation; Hyman Muss, M.D., from the Vermont Cancer Center; Larry Norton, M.D. and Clifford Hudis, M.D., from Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center; and Eric Winer, from the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.
<!--[if !vml]--><!--[
endif]-->
Nav
every day without laughter is a wasted day !!!!

Doxiamonev
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Doxiamonev » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:27 am

Hi Karen,
There is some positive info on triple negs here...not sure where I will to a search and bump it for you- unless someone knows where it is :ouch:
I know we pm'ed each other before- Karen you are not alone, we are here for you.
I do hope chemo is kind to you- remember one thing- chemo is doable. I got though chemo by saying to myself it's one I will never have to do again. I also would say to myself chemo is kiling anything that should not be there!!
Thinking of you :hugs:
Hugs

Doxia
Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses." Alphonse Karr

Dx 27.12.07,Gr 3, IDC Lt breast 1cm (Prim Ca) & 2.5cm (L/Node)
Bilateral Mastectomy & tissue expanders inserted, Axc. clearance 1/17+, Triple Neg.Tx 4 AC chemo,12 wkly Taxol (28/7/08)2 yrs NED!

Return to “Triple Negative BC”