Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy not working

To keep information about Triple Negative Breast Cancer together and easier to access.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Janette
Forum Legend

Re: Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy not working

Postby Janette » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:36 pm

No expert here, but seeing chemo's effect on the tumour allows Oncs to see whether the chemo is effective or not more easily. It is often posted that it does help shrink the tumour, but if it hasn't I'm sure they will use a different chemo after the tumour is removed and examined. :hugs:
Janette

belinda07
Wise one
Wise one
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby belinda07 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:46 pm

Hi ladies
Yes they were trying to shrink it before hand but it hasn't shrunk. Her oncologist seems concerned, but her surgeon seems a bit more hopeful that he thinks the tumor is dying... We can't really know until they remove it and test it
Her chemo was seized today and they booked her in for surgery in 2.5 weeks and will commence chemo and raditation once she has recovered.
I just want to know if this happens often.... chemo not responding? Everything I seem to read in forums etc suggest that it has worked for most people :(

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:38 pm

:hugs: hi belinda,your right that cancer sucks BIG time. Hopefully they do surgery soon if chemo isn't working then they will continue with more chemo I am guessing,please keep in touch and let us know
Rosa

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:43 am

Hi Belinda
It does suck. Sounds they were trying to shrink it before surgery. If it isn't getting smaller then removing sounds sensible.

I guess it is a wait and see at the moment but there is likely plenty of treatment choices once removed and they know more about the cancer. :hugs:
Janette

belinda07
Wise one
Wise one

Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy not working

Postby belinda07 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:49 pm

Hi, my best friend (24 years old) has stage IIB Triple Negative BC with NO BRCA gene.
She has had 4 rounds of A/C Chemo, currently on her 7th round of weekly Taxol and has Carbo every fortnight (i think shes done 3 rounds of carbo)
Today her Oncologist has said that her lump hasnt shrunk and if anything looks to have maybe gotten bigger but it is hard to tell and won't be able to tell until they take it out during surgery. She also thinks it has gotten bigger and has been saying its been really sore lately.
Her oncologist is thinking to cease chemo and just book her in for surgery in the next few weeks for a single Mastectomy and lymphnode removal (as was found in one node)

Is it normal for neoadjuvant chemotherapy not to work? She has had a lot of chemo so far and no change.... :crybaby: :crybaby: They say that triple negative BC usually responds well to chemo. This news isn't what we were expecting and now it seems that neoadjuvant wasnt the right choice and maybe she should have had surgery first.... because what if it has metastasized (i pray with every part of me that it hasn't) during these 4 months if the chemo didn't work.......
This sucks so bad :(

Return to “Triple Negative BC”