Questions to oncologist - Inderal/Basal/Genetic Counselling

To keep information about Triple Negative Breast Cancer together and easier to access.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
After BC
Guru
Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Questions to oncologist - Inderal/Basal/Genetic Counsell

Postby After BC » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:54 pm

Hi Sheree,

My pathology report stated basal-like. It may be that the particular path-lab could not test or do not routinely test for basal-like markers?

There is still so much more research that needs to be done to find out what these basal-like subgroup of breast cancer means.

I agree with your oncologist that the more pressing matter is finding out your BRCA status.

There are a new class of drugs called PARP inhibitors that are currently being trialed for metastatic breast cancer.

And patients that are positive for the BRCA mutation will benefit the most.

I told the geneticist that the genetic testing will detemine whether I will have a lumpectomy or mastectomy. I got the results in 1 month.

My advice is if you want something done is to push for it.
Dx Sep 10, Triple Negative, neoadjuvant chemo 6x TAC. Left breast mastectomy 0/5 lymph nodes. Complete pathological response. response. Currently having 26xrads

shereejoy
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Questions to oncologist - Inderal/Basal/Genetic Counselling

Postby shereejoy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:56 pm

Hi Ladies,

I will copy and paste a few questions I emailed to my oncologist below:

In the Sunday Mail, page 4, they were talking about a medication for Blood pressure/Angina/Heart failure/Anxiety/Migrane called Inderal (Deralin) which helps in the “Reoccurance of Breast Cancer”. They weren’t specific as to which type of breast cancer. Do you know if this drug is relevant to my Triple Negative Breast Cancer?

Also were you getting that Basal Testing done? I would be interested in knowing if my cancer has this basal cell or not, may come in handy in the future.

And I wasn’t sure what your final thoughts were about the genetic testing. I was wondering if I could start to see someone in Brisbane while I am there for my radiation treatment seeing as the results take such a long time to come back.

This is his response email to me:

I was aware of this publication in the Journal of Clinical Oncology last month. This was an observational cohort study which suggested inderal users had lower breast cancer rates/progression. Interestingly, atenolol, a very similar drug, did not. These sorts of studies are interesting but in no way prove that taking inderal is a cause of better breast cancer outcomes. That can only be proved with randomised trials, such as have been conducted with chemotherapy. I would not recommend starting it in your situation.

I looked through the pathology report and it is not clear if yours is the basal subtype. It is important to remember that this subtype of breast cancer is still being researched and much more is needed to be done to even determine if it truly is a unique sub-type. Essentially it is still a work in progress and international experts debate the importance of it today.

Of importance for you, is determining whether your tripple negative cancer is caused by an inherited mutation in the BRCA 1 or 2 genes. I have written to genetics health queensland and they will be in contact with you. I don't have control over their waiting lists etc but feel free to give them a call in the next couple of weeks to see how long it might take to be seen.

Anyone have any thoughts or further information they can share with me??? I think I just wonder why they can't test for Basal or not, as I feel there is research in this area at the moment and it may be helpeful for me to know in the future
Age 36, Mother 3 and 5 year old BOYS
Dx 9/3/11, Surgery 22/3/11 - IDC, 3 x tumours (5cm, 4mm, 3mm) - Multifocal, 13/26 lymph nodes -All nodes taken, Stage IIIC, Triple Neg, RB Mastectomy
M/C 21st Feb 2011 - Saved my life!
IVF completed 4/4/11 - 3 eggs
Reconstruction late Feb 2012/ early March 2012

Return to “Triple Negative BC”