Triple Neg Newbie

To keep information about Triple Negative Breast Cancer together and easier to access.
denise_s
Guru
Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Triple Neg Newbie

Postby denise_s » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:58 pm

Hi Geminigirl,
welcome to the forum and to triple negative. Hi too to Blizz, I think we have the same oncologist from the what you said he said to you! I had 12 x EC which was fairly horrible but there are only 4 doses of it, then I had 12 x taxol and carboplatin, which was fine, much easier than the EC until I got close to the end and then I could feel the cumulative effects. I found radiation a piece of cake.
I am only finished since December and like you young-ish, very fit and healthy. But am enjoying now being back at work and exercising, though occasionally I feel a bit tired like when I moved house in january! Otherwise I am just great.
It sounds awful at the start and so long, and I know its a cliche, but it will pass and you will get through it all - look at this forum, we all did and we are still here to tell the tale.
Best of luck with it all
Denise

yowyow
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby yowyow » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:00 pm

Hi, I have been away for a couple of weeks.... just wanted to welcome the new neggie ladies :wave:

All the stuff on the net has nasty scare factor.... but there is some really good research happening out there
showing some very positive results.

welcome from a "nearly" 5 years since diagnosed triple neg'
Nav
every day without laughter is a wasted day !!!!

Blizz
Been there, done that
Been there, done that
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Blizz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:06 pm

Geminigirl,

Thanks for your lovely response :hugs:

Need to go and catch some zzzz's so just quickly copy-pasting this from another thread I started:

Ok, so I met the oncologist this morning. He is basically going to hit this cancer hard due to the Triple Neg factor. He essentially said that we get one chance at a cure and we need to throw everything we have at it.

I am up for 4 fortnightly sessions of Epirubicin / Cyclophosphamide followed by 12 weekly sessions of Paclitaxel / Cisplatin (I think - it all went pretty quick!)

It's interesting how we're all on different combo's isn't it?

Wondering if any of the triple neg's here have any experience with the above and in particular the weekly sessions?

geminigirl
Guru
Guru

Postby geminigirl » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:21 am

Dear Blizz,

Welcome aboard for the ride. I have only just found this site and wish I had it earlier but nonetheless I have it know. It is my support, pure & simple. I haven't joined any other support networks at this stage, I find that a bit too confronting but have discounted it for down the track. The informations is so well moderated here and you you will receive are positive opinions and great vibes from some obviously very special women going through exactly the same as us - that has to be comforting. :grouphug:

There are a couple of links at the bottom of this whole post, a couple of which are Dicsovery Channel special on Trip Neg Cancer and myths and facts - I can recommend this to you I received lots of information to research with my health professionals. One of the interesting possible factors of Trip Neg is the BRCA Gene Mutation. My sis-in-law is a genetics professor and first alerted me to this but it was also on the doco by Discovery. I asked my Oncologist about it yesterday - evidently the guidelines for testing are quite strict in the criteria we must fill, but he factors are age and being young, TICK, Trip Neg Cancer, TICK and a family history which I only have on a paternal grandmother who was in her 70's so doesn't count for much in the guidelines. My onc said she will recommend me for it but can't guarantee and they won't test me until after chemo anyway. I feel better for putting these wheels in motion as I believe it has a major impact on my care for the future. Anyway, rambling a bit here but know you will find this interesting with seeing your onc tomorrow.

Round 3 yesterday with AC, Neulasta later today which was a bit of a bother last time but necessary. 1 AC to go and the 4 Taxol. I fly to Perth for my treatment and leave DH home with 2yo and fly home that evening. I could have had my chemo here but even though it's a great hospital in many ways, I felt to continue with my health prof and fly for all treatment was the best solution for us.

I have found it difficult to find much info on trip neg and what i had found was pretty scary so stopped googling and now will throw ?'s out to my friends here. Google can be so evil.

So best of luck. You know the fabulous thing we have on our side with all of this is our age - we are young & fit and can tackle anything thrown at us because we have to we, we are mums to little people who need us desperately daily. My children are my inspiration, they are my everything along with my DH of course but the children are different.... Love them so much :heart:

Good luck tomorrow with your onc, hope it goes well, feel free to PM me to chat further. Sending all my love and best wishes to you right across Oz. :hugs:

I have just been told my pathology results and I'm a triple negative as well.
I'm 34 and mother to a proud preppie (4.5) and little miss attitude (3).

I had a bilateral mastectomy last week and have not yet met with the oncologist - that is scheduled for later this week.
I will pass on whatever information he gives me on Thursday. My surgeon said that between my age, type/grade of BC and the fact it was in both breasts, she was expecting a triple neg result. Apparently that is common? I don't know. Will do a bit of reading (but not too much, I have discovered over the last few weeks I shouldn't google everything...)

Hope your chemo went well today, sounds like you have to travel for it which must be hard...
Diagnosed 11/11/10 with triple neg cancer.
38yo, wife and mother of 3 aged 13, 11 & 2.
32mm grade III invasive ductal. Lumpectomy. No nodes involved & clear margins.
4 x AC, 4 x Taxol + Neulasta in Perth, 35 Rads in Adelaide.

angel33
Superstar
Superstar

Postby angel33 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:15 pm

:bighug:

Everyone has teary days...and we dont know why.....relax you are normal!

A cancer diagnosis and treatment challenges us physically,psychologically and emotionally...... be kind to yourself!

Take care

:rose:
EBC 1997, bony mets Dec 2000, liver mets april 2007, chemo since

Blizz
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby Blizz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:25 pm

Hi Gemini,

I have just been told my pathology results and I'm a triple negative as well.
I'm 34 and mother to a proud preppie (4.5) and little miss attitude (3).

I had a bilateral mastectomy last week and have not yet met with the oncologist - that is scheduled for later this week.
I will pass on whatever information he gives me on Thursday. My surgeon said that between my age, type/grade of BC and the fact it was in both breasts, she was expecting a triple neg result. Apparently that is common? I don't know. Will do a bit of reading (but not too much, I have discovered over the last few weeks I shouldn't google everything...)

Hope your chemo went well today, sounds like you have to travel for it which must be hard...

Blizz

Crystalady
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Crystalady » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:22 pm

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

:grouphug: Sandra
First diagnosed in Dec 1998. Thyroid cancer 2006. Thought I was free and clear after 10 years but no, mets in spine in Dec 2008. Femara stopped working October 2010.Was on Aromasin and zometa. Now taking Xeloda and Zometa.Xeloda not working Dec 2011. Tamoxifen started. Feb 2012 Now on Abraxane.

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi Gemini

You are getting through those infusions and you sure are allowed to have days when all you want to do is cry.

:hugs:
Judy
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

DancerMel28
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby DancerMel28 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:40 pm

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:27 pm

Hang in there Gemini, you're allowed to have days like that. No need to question why. It will get better, but vent here when you need to, we are with you. :hugs:
Janette

geminigirl
Guru
Guru

Postby geminigirl » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:57 pm

Hi everyone, I have had a very tearful day today which is very unlike me. My eyes just keep filling and the tears keep falling. :sniff: Feels awful right now but will hopefully feel a bit better tomorrow. Hard to describe exactly why I am crying - apart from the bleeding obvious I guess! Heading to Perth for my AC number 3 on Tuesday, just keep on ticking them off.

Great to have you all with me on this trek, feel like you are right in my back pocket today :hugs: :heart:

Tigger
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby Tigger » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:35 am

I don't have any answers and haven't started chemo yet as I just got home from my mastectomy but wanted to say Welcome!! :hugs:

Bella39
Guru
Guru

Postby Bella39 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:05 pm

Hi Gemini Girl,
I found the AC much harder than the taxol. I had a hard time with vomiting and fatigue on the Ac. The taxol was much easier - no vomiting. With both treatments I found days 3 -5 the worst and then after the 5th day I got better and better. I did find that with each treatment I got more tired and by the end I was pretty exhausted.

I'm feeling good now and with each day I'm getting fitter and stronger. No radio for me so, life is getting back to normal. I saw a PS a few days ago and will be having a reconstruction in the middle of the year.

Ask as many questions as you like, there are lots of great people here to answer them.
Bella
Diagnosed – July 2010. Left mastectomy and axillary clearance. 2/10 nodes. Triple negative. AC x 4, Taxol x 4, fortnightly.

Lisa8
Enlightened one
Enlightened one

Postby Lisa8 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:11 am

Hi Gemini girl,

I was diagnosed 3 years ago today ( still NED...yipee!) with triple negative breast cancer. I had 5 cm tumour (IDC and DCIS) and 2 positive nodes. I was 30 years old and my baby was 9 months. My treatment was dose dense AC which was every 2 weeks and then weekly taxol for 12 weeks. I had bad nausea with AC but never vomited. I found that as the cycles went on my onc prescribed different Meds which helped cope with feeling sick on days 3-5. Taxol was a breeze for me. I was a bit achy but panadol fixed that. I also had no nausea with taxol which was fantastic, but I ate heaps due to the dexamethasone tablets and put on close to 10 kgs.

I was so scared when I was diagnosed because I read such bad info about triple neg bc. The good news is that there are plenty of us doing fine years from diagnosis. In fact most of the triple neg girls on the foum diagnosed around the same time as me don't post much because they are working, traveling, have active social lives and are enjoying their families, just as Jezza said.

If I can help you in any way, just PM me.

Hugs :hugs:

Lisa

geminigirl
Guru
Guru

Postby geminigirl » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:59 am

Hey Jenny-pop,

I would love your blog address to follow you. Hope you're feeling OK after your chemo yesterday.... :chemo:

All the very best for your treatment. I am really looking forward to reading your blog.

Ciao for now... :hugs:

Return to “Triple Negative BC”