BRCA2 gene

For those with a High Risk of Breast Cancer -BRCA1 and BRCA2 Genes, Family History, LCIS
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bel
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Re: BRCA2 gene

Postby bel » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:22 pm

Hi Sue,

I am BRCA2 positive too.
I have been told to try and not take risks and so have had
my remaining healthy breast removed and a hysterectomy next year.
plus as taking Tamoxifen.

I'd like to know some figures on survival rates etc........
not dealing with it all too well at the moment.
“"

megge
Wise one
Wise one
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby megge » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:52 pm

Hi Sue, I was identified as having the mutation to the BRCA2 gene almost two years ago. Even though I knew there was a chance I could carry it, I still found it very confronting- I was 38 years old. Fortunately, due to my family history I already had a good relationship with my breast surgeon and was guided by the information both he and my gynaecologist gave to me and therefore opted to have a full hysterectomy and bi-lateral oopherectomy followed by a bilateral prophylactic mastectomy with expanders, and finally change over to implants. I also have children including a daughter and my hope is that there will have been advances made by the time she is an adult such that it will not be such an issue for her. I feel fortunate to have had access to the knowledge that helped me to be proactive about my outcomes, but at the same time it is a difficult process that only others that have been through it would fully understand. Please feel free to send me a PM should you want any further clarification or to talk about it.

CP
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby CP » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:06 pm

Hope you are feeling better soon Hibiscusmum.

Sue, I don't have any testing as I have ABC but my daughter is suppose to see the BS & have an MRI, as well as ultrasound & mammogram but she kept putting it off.

My brother also went for the gene testing at his request. He had his bloods taken & cancelled his appointment the day before he was to get his results. He still hasn't gone back even though they keep sending him reminder letters. I have given up saying anything to him. In the end it is his decision & I cannot force him. Men are definately a different breed!!!

My youngest daughter is 24 & yet not tested but her doctor approaches contraception issues as if she has the gene to be on the safe side. It is definately a problem for young women.

Cheryle
:heart:
EBC December 2001
ABC April 2007
Currently on Zometa & Xeloda

hibiscusmum
Enlightened one
Enlightened one

Postby hibiscusmum » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:46 pm

Thanks SueM44 & Cheryle :hugs:

Sorry can't write much at the moment just had chemo y/day & sooo tired can hardly read the monitor. 1 more chemo 2 go!!!!

SueM44
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby SueM44 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:47 pm

Good luck with your test results HM. I hope it is negative. :hugs:

I have been back on the phone to the genetics place today as they promised to send me information and a standard letter to pass on to my brothers and close relations regarding my BRCA2 positive status. It has been more than 2 weeks but I guess they are busy. Thank goodness for the internet. I was also advised to ring and make an appointment with my BS as apparently now I need to have an MRI as well as an ultrasound and mammogram when my yearly check comes up. She will need to write the referral I guess. Is this what you do Cheryle? Tried to talk to my brothers about it as it affects them and one has a daughter, but got the usual "I go to the doctors and get things checked out when I need to."
I too have feelings of guilt. I have 2 daughters 16 and 11 and wonder how this is going to affect them? For the 16 year old at the moment contraception is something that we need to resolve.
I hope the science is well advanced by the time they are older, so they don't have to make these decisions or have this worry.
I know it is a matter of picking up the phone but I do feel once you have been informed of your BRCA status, you are left on your own.
The genetics place was very against me thinking about double mastectomy, stating as I've had a hysterectomy things look good.
Still thinking I would prefer better statestics so will discuss surgery with my BS an oncologist.
Sue :)
dx Jan 2010 7mm IDC Grade 2. ER+ PR+ HER- had WLE and SNB in Jan followed by 30 rads. Hysterectomy May 2010. Genetic testing revealed BRCA 2 September 2010
Bilateral Mastectomy & Immediate Reconstruction Nov 2011

CP
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby CP » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:24 am

Good luck hibiscusmum with your genetic testing. I understand how worrying it is when you have daughters.
Wishing you the best of luck with having a negetive test result.

Cheryle
:heart:
EBC December 2001
ABC April 2007

hibiscusmum
Enlightened one
Enlightened one

Postby hibiscusmum » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:37 pm

Thanks Jetj me too

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 pm

Fingers crossed for you HM I hope it is neg. :hugs:
Janette

hibiscusmum
Enlightened one
Enlightened one

Postby hibiscusmum » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:16 am

I'm off to a geneticist on the 18th October & to be honest I'm really nervous, I have 2 young girls & scared stiff that I have the gene & I have passed it onto them. Not much I can do about it I know, but can't help to worry :crybaby:
My biggest worry at the moment & I know I shouldn't worry until if & when I cross that bridge, is whether to go on with rads or have a double mastectomy........... :sniff:

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:54 pm

Cheryle,
It's very sad that you felt guilty about passing on something you had no control over. :hugs:
Janette

CP
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby CP » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:04 pm

Hi Sue,

I have the BRCA2 gene as well.
I was tested after I was dx with ABC.
My reason for testing was mainly for my 2 daughters. I wanted them to be more aware of their risks when I am not here to annoy them.
The eldest daughter has been tested & has also got the gene but the youngest is yet to be tested. The girls are 28 & 24.
I was not devasted to be told I had the gene but was devasted to find out my daughter had inherited it from me.
Lots of things go through your head...guilt, the feeling I should not of had children (silly I know) but I feel so responsible.
I had many sleepless nights over this but now have accepted there is not much I can do but teach my kids that early detection is the key to betting this disease.
I also have a grand daughter but the geneticist states by the time she is old enough there will be a cure.
We can only hope this will happen.

Cheryle
:hugs:
EBC December 2001
ABC April 2007

chickitrean
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby chickitrean » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:46 am

Hi Sue,
I'm looking into Genetic Counciling so I can see if I'm positive to the gene as well......Just seems like a major effort to find out if you have the gene or not. Wonder why they can't just do the blood test and be done with it! I'm over talking to councilors and all that...it's been four years dealing with all this BC so that's probably why I'm over it, lol.
Trina

SueM44
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

BRCA2 gene

Postby SueM44 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:01 pm

Hi everyone
Just got back from getting my BRCA1 and BRCA2 results.
Turns out I am BRAC2 positive.....head is in a bit of a spin and doing some research now.
I am not really suprised given my family history, just shocked!
Anyone else out there have BRCA2 mutation?
What did you do with the information?
Sue :D
dx Jan 2010 7mm IDC Grade 2. ER+ PR+ HER- had WLE and SNB in Jan followed by 30 rads. Hysterectomy May 2010. Genetic testing revealed BRCA 2 September 2010
Bilateral Mastectomy & Immediate Reconstruction Nov 2011

Return to “High Risk of Breast Cancer”