Can You Still Inherit BC and not have the brca gene?

For those with a High Risk of Breast Cancer -BRCA1 and BRCA2 Genes, Family History, LCIS
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Gail
Forum Legend
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Can You Still Inherit BC and not have the brca gene?

Postby Gail » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:16 am

That is wonderful news Deb, such a relief for all of you. :hugs:
"You Gotta Laugh!"

Gail

Diagnosed April 2006,Lumpectomy,17 of 25 nodes positive, chemo, radiation. Finished treatment March 07
Diagnosed July 2012 cancer of mediastinal(nodes around lungs and heart)pelvis and spine. Up for the fight!

debman
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby debman » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:13 pm

Thanks Gail. Luckily everything was OK but it was a very anxious wait and I'm sure the whole world must have heard my audible sigh of releif! I'm sure I had posted an update when we received the good news, but perhaps I posted it in the wrong thread.

:heart:
Deb
, . Stopped taking tamoxifen in December 2012 after 18 months due to debilitating SEs.

Gail
Forum Legend

Postby Gail » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:23 pm

I am thinking of you Debman and sending you the very best thoughts that your daughters biopsy is clear. I can imagine how sick you must be feeling. :grouphug:
"You Gotta Laugh!"

Gail

Diagnosed April 2006,Lumpectomy,17 of 25 nodes positive, chemo, radiation. Finished treatment March 07
Diagnosed July 2012 cancer of mediastinal(nodes around lungs and heart)pelvis and spine. Up for the fight!

kerri
Guru
Guru

Postby kerri » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:27 am

kerri (^_^)
dxd '07 age 36 with stg 2 grd 2, prog & est+ receptor 3cm. IDC, no node involvement, lumpectomy, rads & Tamox.
Strong family history of bc including my Mum who was dxd 2 months before me.
In 2007 I had a risk reducing oophorectomy and in 2010 had mast. & lat. dorsi recon..

LuvMyLab
Superstar
Superstar

Postby LuvMyLab » Mon May 02, 2011 9:40 pm

Gosh Debman, I do hope it's nothing sinister. I'll have my fingers crossed for your daughter, you must be beside yourself.

I just found out I don't have the gene mutation in BRCA 1 or 2, but they did say they can't rule out that it's caused by another genetic factor. I'm just now trying to boost my immune system to fight anything that could come along. My paternal grandmother had it and my paternal cousin (it was the cousin who was dx at age 38 which put me in a high risk, but other than that, there's no other cancers)

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Mon May 02, 2011 7:23 pm

Debman,
Let's hope it isn't bc.

When a member of a family, often the first is diagnosed with bc, should alert other members to check themselves thoroughly and have screening if they can. I told my sister to get herself checked.

Please let us know how she goes. :hugs:
Janette

Blizz
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby Blizz » Mon May 02, 2011 6:47 pm

I am so sorry to read about your daughter Deb. I hope the biopsy comes back ok :xfingers: There are different reasons why something can look not quite right and I truly hope it's something innocent. It would be really cruel for both of you to be diagnosed only 5 months apart.

I don't have any personal experience with this, I also didn't have BC on my radar at all. There is a fair bit of cancer on my maternal grandfather's side, but no BC, and no cancer at all in my parents generation. I am scheduled to have genetic testing done in June, but the geneticist warned me there is probably only a 20% chance I test positive for BRCA1 or 2 and 80% that is comes back inconclusive. We'll find out I guess.

There is so much we don't yet know about the origin / cause of cancer and many gene mutations are as yet unidentified.
And yes, it does make me worry for my siblings, my Mum and my children - my kids especially because there is a history of ovarian and breast cancer on DH's side of the family so I do worry what we may have passed on to them :(

Again, thinking of you and hope it all turns out to be ok.
:hugs:

debman
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby debman » Mon May 02, 2011 3:16 pm

, . Stopped taking tamoxifen in December 2012 after 18 months due to debilitating SEs.

bel
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby bel » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:01 am

Since coming on to this forum and talking with other ladies with breast cancer and looking at my own family history,
it is evident that there is much more we do not know yet to link cancer from one generation to another, other than BRCA1/2.
A lot of friends have had people test negative, yet they got cancer and everyone else tested positive.

I have heard of younger women getting cancer and passing away and years later their grandmother dies of breast cancer and so it probably was BRCA1/2 (or something else that we do not know yet), the younger generation weren’t prepared because they had no way of knowing their fate. It's very sad.

I'm BRCA2, so is my mum, my brother and we assume, my grandmother, who died of ovarian cancer and possibly others are positive too who have not been tested yet.
Even if I had tested negative, with a family history like this, that was only discovered to be linked once mum got breast cancer 7 years ago, I would still be vigilant about my own health.

There is more research being done and I hope we hear of more information soon, so that we all know where we stand.

A lot of women out there in the general public assume that because they do not have a family history that they won't get breast cancer, this is something that needs to be addressed and is a common misconception as we gene ladies make up only 5% of the bigger picture. The rest of the pie are breast cancer sufferers that do not know why they have got it, there are no links that we know of yet..............yet !
“"

Marydean
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Marydean » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:15 pm

Chrissie, I too wonder about this, but from the other perspective - esp cos I've had two different primaries - what if I've handed some sort of genetic predisposition down to my DDs?? We've had a lot of cancer in my family on my dad's side, you gotta wonder, don't you?
Dancing through life, healing every cell in my body.

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:55 pm

Chrissie,
I think it's quite normal to worry about these things. I've had 2 difference cancers and one precancer and of course that concerns me and is the back of my mind.

I try not to waste too much time thinking about this stuff. Que Sera. :hugs:
Janette

molly dooker
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby molly dooker » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:18 pm

Thanks Janette, I don't think I was too worried, just curious more than anything. Because I am always asked if cancer is in the family by all the health professionals I see now.
But I have been told by my bs and onc that there is only a bit higher risk of recurrence or getting it in the other breast than the "normal" population. Everyone's situation is unique. But I guess it does cross my mind sometimes oh I wonder if my cancer is related to nanna/s cancer. I feel very lucky that mine was caught very, very early. And I just have to get on with my life and not dwell on past stuff that hopefully will never happen again.
Chris

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:16 pm

Chrissie,
The national average for cancer is 1 in 4 or something please correct me there anyone. I wouldn't be concerned about a gene fault under the circumstances.

Some of these faults are very prolific and affect many many members of a family.

Also there do appear to be other gene faults that haven't been identified yet.
Janette

molly dooker
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Can You Still Inherit BC and not have the brca gene?

Postby molly dooker » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:27 am

I have not got the BRCA gene, but my paternal grandmother had bc at 85 (had a mastectomy and lived to 100 :clap: ) so that could very well be age related as well, and my maternal grandmother died from stomach cancer at 75. (I am wondering if her cancer was actually a secondary from another cancer, we are talking 1966 here, didn't know as much then)

So could I still have inherited breast cancer and not have the gene?
Chris

Return to “High Risk of Breast Cancer”