My friend

For those with a High Risk of Breast Cancer -BRCA1 and BRCA2 Genes, Family History, LCIS
TanS
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby TanS » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:21 pm

Hi Chrissie,

I am sorry to hear about your friend. Most times people just want to talk and have someone really listen.........they dont really need advice. I'm sure your friend knows her options re genetic testing ect.

I would say just be there as her friend and be willing to listen when she needs to talk.

:hugs:
Tanya

molly dooker
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby molly dooker » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:14 pm

Thanks Doxia,
yeah if she has got the gene, then I wonder how much higher the risk is. Actually the more I think about the fact her mum and her mums mum had it, the worse I feel for her. But I said it's no use worrying your life away, just keep up your checks and be aware. Hmmm. Sort of makes me feel helpless.
Chris

Doxiamonev
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Doxiamonev » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:02 pm

Oh Chrissie...I feel for your friend :hugs:
If your friend is going to worry about about genetic testing then the only thing is keep the mammograms & self checks..as you have already said..
Sorry can't be of any help.
Hugs

Doxia
Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses." Alphonse Karr

Dx 27.12.07,Gr 3, IDC Lt breast 1cm (Prim Ca) & 2.5cm (L/Node)
Bilateral Mastectomy & tissue expanders inserted, Axc. clearance 1/17+, Triple Neg.Tx 4 AC chemo,12 wkly Taxol (28/7/08)2 yrs NED!

molly dooker
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

My friend

Postby molly dooker » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:45 pm

Hi all,
I went to lunch with an old friend today. I don't see her a lot. We sort of drifted apart, but every now and then we catch up.
Her Mum and her Mum's mum both died from breast cancer. She sort of worries about herself (I don't really know the extent of her worry, but I can tell
she is more than a bit concerned) I think they were both into their seventies when they went, but I remember when her Mum first got bc about 15 years ago, which would have made her probably mid 50's. She went into "remission" (sorry hate that word) and well it came back.
She said today that she doesn't like to think about her own fate and how does she know she won't get bc. First of all I said maybe she could get tested for
the brca gene, but then I said but if you have it, then you will be worried. So cancelled that out. She is living a lot healthier than she ever has, but she
suffers a bit of stress with work, and running around after teenage kids. Ex dh is pretty hopeless. Has a few problems of his own, whole other story.
But I don't know what advice to give her when I see her again and she brings it up. All I can offer is just keep up your mammograms, self checks etc.
She is 46.

I'd love your thoughts.
Chris

Return to “High Risk of Breast Cancer”