My friend

For those with a High Risk of Breast Cancer -BRCA1 and BRCA2 Genes, Family History, LCIS
molly dooker
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: My friend

Postby molly dooker » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:47 pm

Thanks Di for your thoughts.
I haven't seen my friend since I saw her that one time. I will try and catch up with her again soon. This thread has prompted me to definitely say something next time I see her.

BTW, welcome to the forum Di. I hope you get much support and help from here.
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Chris

Di68
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: My friend

Postby Di68 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:13 pm

Hi, I'm new to this forum, just thought i'd let you kow that i recently was tested for the faulty cancer gene and came back having the faulty braca 1 gene. I really think its a very personal choice as to whether to have gene testing or to continue with monitoring. My personal belief is that i'd rather know than not know. I'm 41 and was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer 2 and a half years ago. I also found out after being diagnosed that there was a strong family history (I was adopted ) on my fathers side. My grandmother, my Aunty and 2 great aunts were all diagnosed with early breast cancer ie before the age of 50 and my father also passed away from pancreatic cancer. All these factors made me a very high canditadte to have the faulty gene. So no surprise when it came back positive. This information has made me decide that i want to have a prophylactic mastectomy. I have 4 children who i want to see grow up get married etc so i have decided to give myself the best possible chance at this.
However for some people this isnt what they would want to do so having the the test maynot be what they need to do.Monitoring is just so important just make sure your friend keeps up her checkups and go and talk to a genetic councelor, you have to do this anyway before any testing is done because there is implications if you have the test for example getting lnsurance etc
Sounds like your being a supportive friend thats all you can do because ultimately it comes down to her decision what she wants to do. Just be there
Kindest regards Di :D

SueM44
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby SueM44 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:16 pm

SueM44
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby SueM44 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:34 pm

Sorry didn't realize I did this.....cutting and pasting for my own reference and fact finding mission while multi tasking and reading this forum

Oppps
Sue :oops:
Last edited by SueM44 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doxiamonev
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Doxiamonev » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:20 am

Hugs

Doxia
Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses." Alphonse Karr

Dx 27.12.07,Gr 3, IDC Lt breast 1cm (Prim Ca) & 2.5cm (L/Node)
Bilateral Mastectomy & tissue expanders inserted, Axc. clearance 1/17+, Triple Neg.Tx 4 AC chemo,12 wkly Taxol (28/7/08)2 yrs NED!

Gail
Forum Legend

Postby Gail » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:19 am

Ruth
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Ruth » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:46 pm

That;s interesting stats Lisa, I had always thought the risk for ovarian was higher with BRCA2.
Ruth :kiwi:

molly dooker
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby molly dooker » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:05 pm

Yes I know what you mean Nav. I only meant I was nagging myself to do something like talk to her sooner than later.
But it is good to know about the MRI.
Anyway I'll mill it over, and maybe give her a call in a few weeks time.
Last edited by molly dooker on Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

yowyow
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby yowyow » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:56 pm

You know what they say Chrissie

"you can lead a horse to water but cant make it drink"

I know you are obviously worried about her but
some ppl (I know some) start getting a bit ansty with nagging
You have every reason to nag, but as Chris said, some ppl
also want to stick their heads in the sand, as dangerous as that
may be, dont YOU beat yourself up about it, you can only offer
advise when its wanted and stats on what you know, sometimes advise might only be listened to once or twice.

High risk ppl are covered for a MRI every year
that might be a little easier on the thoughts than genetic testing.
Nav
every day without laughter is a wasted day !!!!

molly dooker
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby molly dooker » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:16 pm

Thanks ladies,
Next time I see her, I will try and make sure I bring the subject up, and maybe just say to check it out with a professional. Because sounds like it could be
very highly likely she has got one of those genes. And if she has, then she can be proactive if she chooses. Look into it deeper. I didn't want to have to
catch up with her again so soon after, but something in me is nagging now. She did say if I wanted to go for a walk anytime just call her.
It was really good to get your thoughts, I am so glad I brought it up.
Chris

Lisa8
Enlightened one
Enlightened one

Postby Lisa8 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:30 pm

Just wanted to check my facts for breast and ovarian cancer risk and BRCA 1 and 2.

I found that risk of bc increases up to 85 % by age of 70 with BRCA 1 and 2, according to breastcancer.org. and pinkhope.org.au

Some other websites have said the risk is between 50-85% lifetime risk.

Not everyone has a risk this high, it depends on the type of abnormality seen with the mutation. Family members who are diagnosed with bc at an early ageor in both breasts seem to have a higher risk.

As for ovarian cancer risk, people with BRCA 1 have a 55% increased risk and BRCA 2 have a 25% increased risk.(Wikipedia)

Chrissie,

Maybe the next time you talk to your friend you should suggest that she chats to her GP first to get their opinion about her family history and if she needs to make an appointment with a genetic counsellor.

Lisa :hugs:

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:56 am

Chrissie She does need to know how serious her chances are of either bc or ovarian cancer. Burying her head in the sand so as not to worry won't help her. By the time she would know she had OC it could be too late. It is serious.
Knowledge gives power. If you know you have the gene you can take steps to reduce your risk, such as prophylactic (sp) mastectomy and ovary removal. Others would know more than me. Finding out she didn't have the gene could be very reassuring also.
:hugs:

molly dooker
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby molly dooker » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:18 am

Oh wow, 85-90 percent! Thanks Lisa. I won't tell her that, I'll just say from what I believe it is fairly high. And just suggest to her about the options you mentioned. I probably won't see her for a while now, but at least I can feel rested in knowing what to say next time. I feel she should know how serious it is. And of course the ovarian cancer risk as well, never thought of that one. Although don't want to scare the living hijeebys out of her, but she should be aware.
Thanks again. :hugs:
Chris

Lisa8
Enlightened one
Enlightened one

Postby Lisa8 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:43 am

Hi Chrissie,

It is such a hard situation. If your friend is really worried she could chat with a genetic counsellor at a familial cancer centre. They will tell her all of her options (screening through mammograms, MRI etc) and also discuss family history to determine if BRCA testing is necessary.

Of course everyone is different with wanting to know if they have a BRCA mutation and if they are, what to do with the information. I think the chance of getting cancer with a BRCA mutation is 85-90% lifetime risk (yes, very high). Ovarian cancer risk also has to be considered with BRCA mutations as well (although there is no early detection test for that unfortunately).

Lisa :hugs:

Doxiamonev
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Doxiamonev » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:19 am

That's right Chrissie....you are a kind and considerate friend- she is lucky to have you & share her fears & thoughts.
Take care luv :hugs:
Hugs

Doxia
Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses." Alphonse Karr

Dx 27.12.07,Gr 3, IDC Lt breast 1cm (Prim Ca) & 2.5cm (L/Node)
Bilateral Mastectomy & tissue expanders inserted, Axc. clearance 1/17+, Triple Neg.Tx 4 AC chemo,12 wkly Taxol (28/7/08)2 yrs NED!

Return to “High Risk of Breast Cancer”