A new chapter

For those with a High Risk of Breast Cancer -BRCA1 and BRCA2 Genes, Family History, LCIS
Janette
Forum Legend

Re: A new chapter

Postby Janette » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:57 am

I agree, worth following up with the hospital registrar, surgeon. I hope it's just a seroma which is fairly common. :hugs:
Janette

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ruth1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:54 pm

well needs to be checked - can you go to the hospital and see the surgical registrar before next week? A virus on top of everything else just isn't fair at all - hope that resolves quickly.
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

Nicochick
Wise one
Wise one
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Nicochick » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:37 am

Yes healing well, just have a nasty virus which is stopping me from going back to work :crybaby:
The lump is hardish and I can’t really move it.
26 y o BRCA1 mutation, bilateral prophylactic mastectomy, expanders and silicon implants.

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:52 am

Hi Nic glad you've got that done and dusted and you are well. Good to have support around you too. As for that lump - could be a number of things from seroma to fat to scar tissue - is it hard or soft and can you move it?
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

Nicochick
Wise one
Wise one

Postby Nicochick » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:39 pm

Hi all,
Had my prophylactic double mastectomy about a month ago now. Was blessed to have so much support from my husband, friends, family and work colleagues. They ended up having to use expanders and I have already had 50ml each side, with my second expansion booked for a week from now. The time has gone so fast but so slow at the same time. I am missing work and hoping to go back ASAP.
I’m writing because I found a lump in my right armpit today and it’s a little worrying. My husband said just to ask the surgeons about it when I go back in for my expansion but that’s a whole week away. Has anyone else had this happen following surgery?
26 y o BRCA1 mutation, bilateral prophylactic mastectomy, expanders and silicon implants.

Nicochick
Wise one
Wise one

Postby Nicochick » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:01 pm

Thanks Janette and Ruth xxx I just want it over and done with so I don't have to think about it anymore.

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:33 am

The surgeon generally will recommend what is best for you. I have silicone implants and expanders are common first. I have reconstructed nipples. Not worth the risk of keeping them in a lot of cases particularly with BRCA gene.
Janette

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:55 am

expanders are needed if there isn't sufficient tissue to hold the implants and also to stretch the chest muscles so the cavity can hold the new implants properly. I relied on my breast surgeon who used silicone implants - I guess after having children and being older there might be more tissue to work with so I didn't need expanders. I felt normal again after about 4 weeks - you will have drains post surgery which are removed when the fluid output reduces - once they are out then things improve quite quickly. As I remember my movement of arms was restricted for 6 weeks?? Cant lift arms above chest height or lift weight. Good excuse not to do housework!

Nicochick
Wise one
Wise one

Postby Nicochick » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:44 pm

I'm hoping I can do the mastectomy and implants all at once. I'm not too fussed about the nipples, whatever the surgeon thinks is best I guess. I've read that the expanders takes time and is painful. Why is it that some people can have implants immediately and others have to use expanders? Also is saline or silicon best?

How long did you have off of work/was recovery?

Thanks so much for all of your help. I haven't yet heard from the surgeon re the MRI, hopefully this will happen sooner rather than later x

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:58 am

This might be your solution to begin with - that's what I did - had dble mx with saved nipples and implants done all at the same time. If you do diep or tram flap it will affect your stomach muscles which might not be advisable for pregnancy - need to run this by breast surgeon and plastics too.

Brabarb
Wise one
Wise one

Postby Brabarb » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:30 am

Hi,I am 51 and recently found I was brc2. A small breast lump was found after mammogram and ultra sound. I had the lump removed a few months ago and 9 weeks ago had nipple conserving double mastectomy with implants put in straight away. I am having ovaries out next week. I am at a different stage in my life, but I feel totally comfortable with these decisions. The breast surgery has been tough, but pretty happy with the results. They look good! I am still adjusting to them. They don't feel normal and I am adjusting to the new normal.best of luck to you and do what feels right for you. I have a sister and brother who are also brc2 positive, but all clear otherwise.

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:15 pm

Hi Nicochick

We have another new member Brabarb who has just had a double mastectomy and recon because of testing positive to the Braca gene. I have replied to her on her thread. I have had a double mastectomy but this was a long time ago. I didn't have enough fat to do the diep procedure mentioned by Ruth...but I certainly do now! lol

You have some time to do your research and it sounds like that is just what you're doing.

Ask anything here

Hugs
jezza
Dx Jan. 1992 9mm Grade 3 IDC node neg. LB mast. Prophylactic RB mast. 6 months later. No chemo. No rads. Saline implants. 22 years NED. (No Evidence of Disease)

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:40 pm

inability to breastfeed a child is definitely a loss but compared to the big picture where cancer is involved it could be so much worse - being able to have a child is the main thing now and that's a joy for the future that you can hold on to. Living life without the threat of cancer is huge. Good luck with your planning for reconstruction. Glad you like the surgeon - hope the plastics is good too. Sounds like you might have to start eating loads of doughnuts or something to manufacture some fat for diep hehe!!

Mighty Oak
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby Mighty Oak » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:43 am

Nicochick,
Glad that your appointment went well. A surgeon you trust and can communicate with is key. You sound as though you are weighing options and doing research so you can make informed choices. Cancer is the pits, so anything you can do to prevent it is fantastic. If you have any other questions you think we can help with, ask away.
Hugs to you,
Mo xxx

Nicochick
Wise one
Wise one

Postby Nicochick » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:31 pm

:hugs: everyone. Your comments have been very helpful. The apppintment went great. I felt very comfortable with the surgeon and she is getting the ball rolling. I'll have had the prophylactic mastectomy and possible reconstruction done on a few months via the public system. In the next few weeks I'll have an MRI to make sure there are no cancerous cells, and will have a chat t a plastic surgeon. I feel very blessed to have all of this available to me. I would hate to think about how much worse it would be to live in a country where preventative surgery is not even an option. Xx the only thing that is getting to me is the fact that I will not be able to even try to breastfeed when we decide to have children. We are looking into IVF to ensure I do not pass this gene into our children but that's a battle for another day. Thanks guys for your support.

Return to “High Risk of Breast Cancer”