A new chapter

For those with a High Risk of Breast Cancer -BRCA1 and BRCA2 Genes, Family History, LCIS
The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: A new chapter

Postby The new girl » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:19 pm

:wave: hi Nicochick,I hope your appointment went well.
I think you are making the right decision,if it prevents you from getting cancer it's a great thing,cancer really sucks!
I have not had mastectomy so cannot tell you how I felt,but others here have,and recon is probably something to think about later after you recover,wishing you all the very best,please keep in touch.
Rosa

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:23 pm

Hi Nicochick,
Your very wise to look at the options and surgery would be my choice. The BRCA genes are cruel but knowledge is power. The mastectomies are not too bad a surgery, apart from the sense of loss of a part of your body. Once surgery was done that never bothered me. I felt the need for reconstruction but it is a personal decision and can be done at any time. I hope everything goes well with your appointment. :hugs:
Janette

Nicochick
Wise one
Wise one
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Nicochick » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:58 am

Thanks Ruth, I have looked at that but I don't think they'd be able to take much from my body. I will discuss today and report back xx implants are obviously another option but again there are additional risks. Thanks for your help. :)
26 y o BRCA1 mutation, bilateral prophylactic mastectomy, expanders and silicon implants.

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:39 am

I think you need to think a plan - reconstruction is a personal choice but at your age and married I would think you would want to look at the options carefully. As this is surgery for prophylactic purposes then you have a good shot at doing diep procedure which very basically is taking fat and tissue from your abdominal region and making it into new boobs. Its a big op but the outcome is amazing with the pics Ive seen. I have implants as I am past 60 and single. The implants are ok but Ive had 4 replacements in 5 years for various reasons. Its such an individual decision - MO has done well with prosthesis but others find them a nuisance and not good in bathers or summer clothing that's at all light and maybe skimpy. Diep depends on how much tissue you have that the surgeons can work with so hope you have a bit to spare. Good luck at let us know how you go.
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

Nicochick
Wise one
Wise one

Postby Nicochick » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:13 pm

Thanks Mighty Oak. I've been reading some journeys on here and I am so amazed. What strong women you all are and thanks for sharing yours with me. I hope to be that strong. Yes I am looking at preventative surgery, to me I see no other choice. Really not sure about reconstruction as yet...so much to think about and learn. I hope tomorrow goes well and that the surgeon is a good fit. Xx thanks for responding. Means a lot!
26 y o BRCA1 mutation, bilateral prophylactic mastectomy, expanders and silicon implants.

Mighty Oak
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby Mighty Oak » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:58 pm

Welcome to the forum nicochick,
Good on you for taking the bull by the horns and seeing a breast surgeon. I take it that you will be discussing preventative mastectomies and ovary removal with your doctor? I had a double mastectomy after 6 months of chemo followed by radiation. I have to say that the surgery, for me, was very straightforward. I had a full clearance of nodes on my affected side also. My surgeon stated that it was my choice whether to take the healthy breast or not. It was a no brainer. I had dense breasts and didn't want the chance of anything lurking in there. Also from a balance perspective it would be easier. I have my two Medicare funded prostheses which are brilliant as I didn't want a reconstruction. Good in the hot weather, I just leave them in a drawer !
I had my ovaries removed about Four years ago and came through that pretty well too. I had hot flushes for a year and used an estrogen vaginal pessary to keep things in working order. Unfortunately having a small trace of an er+ tumour I can no longer use the vagifem pessary so I do suffer a bit of dryness, but there are plenty of lubricants out there to try. I'm a big fan of coconut oil for that.
Let us know how you go with the surgeon and please feel free to ask us any questions you have. There will always be someone to offer advice on their journey.
Good luck,
MO xxx

Nicochick
Wise one
Wise one

A new chapter

Postby Nicochick » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:33 pm

So tomorrow I am seeing a breast surgeon here in Adelaide to start my journey to ensure I beat this thing before it even starts. I'm 25 and married. Around about the same age my mum was when she married. I dont remember her...she had an aggressive breast cancer that spread to her brain and passed when I had just turned three. I have an older sister who just got her results back for the BRACA1 test and she passed it with flying colours. Me on the other hand, not so lucky. Mum was 33 when she died, my Aunty was in her early fourties when she was diagnosed and we have a history that continues further up the chain. I think the hormonal changes after having children brings it on.

What should I expect? And what should I ask? I want to be around for my children and I don't want to worry about getting breast cancer or ovarian cancer for the rest of my life. It's so hard to talk to people about. I feel like no one knows how I feel.

Return to “High Risk of Breast Cancer”