prophylactic surgery 29th april

For those with a High Risk of Breast Cancer -BRCA1 and BRCA2 Genes, Family History, LCIS
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: prophylactic surgery 29th april

Postby jezza » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:55 am

Wow...6 kids! I hope you have lots of help after surgery. You should not do heavy lifting for a while...also not advisable to drive for a few weeks? (from memory)...anyway ask your Dr about that.

Do you have friends and family to help? Meanwhile stock that freezer! So good to be able to just pull something out of the freezer when you don't feel like cooking.

jezza
Dx Jan. 1992 9mm Grade 3 IDC node neg. LB mast. Prophylactic RB mast. 6 months later. No chemo. No rads. Saline implants. 22 years NED. (No Evidence of Disease)

kylierae
Wise one
Wise one

Postby kylierae » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:50 pm

hi and thanks :-)

I am 37, have six kids (four mine and two step) and my partner is very supportive of me having the surgery (not that he really has a choice but being a typical man he has been trawling the net for photos of breasts....for me apparantly ;-)

the loss of sensation doesnt worry me much, not being a booby person as is....and to be honest after breast feeding four kids (including twins) they arent that flash either :wink:

SueM44
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby SueM44 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:23 pm

Hi Kylie
I had this done in November 2011 after bc in left breast in 2010 which required an op and radiation.
I too have a strong family history and deciding this was what I needed to do.
It s a big operation and with expanders and exchange surgery with recoveries inbetween not an easy or simple process. It took me a full 12 months to feel really well again.
I got mixed reactions from " your turning into a robot with all plastic parts. " to " I wish my mum did it as she might be alive today."
The way I think about it is it is a choice. And at the moment you have a choice. I didnt want to wait until that choice was taen away from me......and it probably would have looking at the odds.

It is a very difficult decision and I miss the complete me because I do find the implants a bit uncomfortable. The loss of sensation is not fun either. One good thing about my implants is after a swim they stay cold for ages which can be a blessing on a hot night :D .

I do not regret my decision but I do hope in the future my grand children say "they what! They cut her breast off!" as my hope is the treatments continue to evolve and are less radical and maybe there is even a cure!
In the meantime this is our option and I took the drs up on it.
Best of luck with it all. :hugs:
Sue :)
dx Jan 2010 7mm IDC Grade 2. ER+ PR+ HER- had WLE and SNB in Jan followed by 30 rads. Hysterectomy May 2010. Genetic testing revealed BRCA 2 September 2010
Bilateral Mastectomy & Immediate Reconstruction Nov 2011

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:39 pm

Hi Kylie

I had breast cancer and had a mastectomy on my left breast. My breast surgeon told me to think about having a prophylactic mastectomy on my right breast as my mum had had breast cancer in both breasts. I was pretty shocked at first but after 6 paranoid months I decided to go ahead with it. I already had an expander after my initial mastectomy so they put another one in...I had that one filled and exchange surgery to both at the same time.

People's reactions? Almost everyone thought I was over reacting...even my PS seemed surprised.

I had a pretty good recovery...there are lots of posts about recovery time on here which I can search out and bump up if you can't find them.

Anyway...I'm 21 years past that now with no recurrence so far. As you know there is certainly no 100% guarantee but it certainly relieved a lot of the worry for me....self examination...no mammograms! etc and I have no regrets. The lack of feeling is something I miss.

How old are you? I was and still am married and hubby was all for it which helped a lot.

jezza
Dx Jan. 1992 9mm Grade 3 IDC node neg. LB mast. Prophylactic RB mast. 6 months later. No chemo. No rads. Saline implants. 22 years NED. (No Evidence of Disease)

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:58 am

:wave: hi kylierea, sorry I dont have any advice I have not had a masectomy,I am sure some of the other ladies can help. I wish wish you well and dont worry what people say,I find people have something to say regardless,it's your body,your decision ...Rosa

kylierae
Wise one
Wise one

Postby kylierae » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:53 am

should probly expsin history... mum diagnosed at 32 died at 36....her mum also had BC and only one other femsle relativr in those generations. .so not a great strike rate...i researched the fsmily tree and not many of the women lived very long lives..avent been genetic tested as my mum died 31 yesrs ago before they kept DNA samples...but as my breast doctor told me yhere is so much about genetics we dont know yet either :-)

kylierae
Wise one
Wise one

prophylactic surgery 29th april

Postby kylierae » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:34 am

hi all
just looking for some "real" war stories of recovery from this ie times stc etc. after many years of surveillance with way too many core biopsys and waiting for results I am taking this option anf doing it publicly (was on wa iting list over a year and suddenly got a call yesterday with the date.

ever since i was a teen i have always said I was going to do this but now I have the date im starting to freak out

doing expanders and implants not the stomach (unfortunately its the only time ive ever not had enough fat on my stomach..typical)

aldo wondering about peoples reactions to when you tell them whst you are having done...some people think im insane
thanks in advance

Return to “High Risk of Breast Cancer”