I'm off for Genetic Counselling today

For those with a High Risk of Breast Cancer -BRCA1 and BRCA2 Genes, Family History, LCIS
Skettie
Hot-shot
Hot-shot
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: I'm off for Genetic Counselling today

Postby Skettie » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:41 pm

Good luck Kerry!

jayem
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby jayem » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:12 pm

Good luck Kerry.

I can understand your reticence in finding out your status, however, you could look at it from a different perspective in that while it may have no significance to your immediate situation, it may be of use further down the track for other research, not necessarily for you.

I firmly believe that if those who have gone before us did not participate in as much research as they did, then our treatments may be far less effective and the knowledge of our medical teams relying on hit and miss.

As Janette said, knowledge is power, both for you and the medical profession.
Jan

Dx 20 Sept 2006, 2 cm IDC + DCIS, 1/16+ node, ER+, PR+, HER2-, 4 AC, 4 Taxol, 33 rads
CFEM Trial 5 years Arimidex, 5 year SOLE trial Femara
Dx Aug 2016 neuroendocrine cancer in pancreas, mets to liver, abdominal nodes, hip, skull, scalp and breast.

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:39 am

Good luck Kerry. Knowledge is power. :hugs:
Janette

kerryw1
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

I'm off for Genetic Counselling today

Postby kerryw1 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:25 am

Well I am off for my first meeting with the Genetic Counsellor today to see if I am a suitable candidate. My Onc sent off the recommendation a few weeks ago and I received all the family history paperwork to be completed. At the time I struggled a little with whether or not to go ahead and put all the paperwork aside. Out of the blue last week received a call saying they had a cancellation and would I like to take the spot. So here I am today heading off. I'm not sure I will even fit the criteria as I have read that it would be unusual for me to be BRCA1 or 2 positive as I am HER positive. There is a fair bit on cancer on my father's side of the family, but apart from one of his sisters who passed away at 40 from Ovarian Cancer no history of BC in the immediate family.

So many questions to ask the counsellor. Wondering what the advantage is, if any, of knowing if I am positive as I don't have any children and my only sister is adopted?

Oh well, wish me luck:)

Cheers
Kerry
:heart:

Return to “High Risk of Breast Cancer”