To screen or not to?

For those with a High Risk of Breast Cancer -BRCA1 and BRCA2 Genes, Family History, LCIS
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
srichard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: To screen or not to?

Postby srichard » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:15 am

Thanks Sandra
She may well say that I wish her another cancer that she may not have and that is her excuse now

OK so here what I would in the next few weeks do is to make an appointment with her GP and explain the situation to him so he can arrange for an appointment without my interference.

Crystalady
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Re: To screen or not to?

Postby Crystalady » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:38 am

Richard, none of us ever want to go under the knife again, but when faced with no option, I think some sort of survival instinct does kick in and it's amazing how strong we become. The old saying "Where there is a will, there is a way" is true, but I guess it depends on how much you want to live.

It's like when we have routine scans, we have to prepare ourselves mentally for bad news just in case, which in most cases with ABC does happen.

We have to do these things so we have adequate treatment and pain relief. The alternate is to just lie down and die, and that is not an option for most of us.

You'll find a way to get her there.

:hugs: Sandra
First diagnosed in Dec 1998. Thyroid cancer 2006. Thought I was free and clear after 10 years but no, mets in spine in Dec 2008. Femara stopped working October 2010.Was on Aromasin and zometa. Now taking Xeloda and Zometa.Xeloda not working Dec 2011. Tamoxifen started. Feb 2012 Now on Abraxane.

srichard

To screen or not to?

Postby srichard » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:10 pm

My wife first had ovarian cancer however there is a strong correlation between bc and ovc more so in advanced state.
Now she is scared to have a screening because she'd had bone a very malignant secondary bone cancer and excruciatingly painful one too (nerve pain) so she is very afraid of screening these s days. She may be scheduled to go for one at Freemasons Victoria Pde.
If there is a recurrence she may not have choice or very limited choice indeed as you may know there is little other options but surgery as as last resort however it is not guaranteed.
What would you girls advice me/her to do taking into account she has gone through a lot of big surgery and survived cancer four times?

Thank you ever so grateful

Return to “High Risk of Breast Cancer”