How long does it take 2 get results from MRI? (sURVEILLANCE)

For those with a High Risk of Breast Cancer -BRCA1 and BRCA2 Genes, Family History, LCIS
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
SueM44
Been there, done that
Been there, done that
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: How long does it take 2 get results from MRI? (sURVEILLA

Postby SueM44 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:09 pm

Sounds like you had a very hard time. They have the machines very heavily booked, the nurse sounds like she was trying to make sure you were on time. No excuse though! :hugs: :hugs:

I am allergic to contrast. When I went in for MRI I was going to have it without contrast, they then decided to use contrast (for beter pictures) but were unhappy going ahead without steroids due to my allergies so I had to come back two weeks later(pumped full of steroids) .....all this was decided after I had the needle in my arm ready!

This is the right place to vent so go right ahead. I Know I have used it for this purpose.

The noise is unbearable during the MRI. I couldn't believe it either.
I rememeber slowly counting to 2000 and it was nearly over.

It is a pretty bad experience I remember it well.

:xfingers: :xfingers: things are on the improve for you

Sue :)
dx Jan 2010 7mm IDC Grade 2. ER+ PR+ HER- had WLE and SNB in Jan followed by 30 rads. Hysterectomy May 2010. Genetic testing revealed BRCA 2 September 2010
Bilateral Mastectomy & Immediate Reconstruction Nov 2011

Guru
Guru

Postby 2010 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:57 am

thanks for your reply.

to anyone who may be reading this: I'd like to write to someone (not sure who?) regarding standards of care with regard to protecting a person's hearing while in the mri machine. People had said it was loud but I had a pair of earphones on that felt no different to something I would wear to mow the lawn and they were just plonked on, no alteration to size at all. It sounded like I had a jet plane going off inside theearphones. I asked the lady if they were protecting my hearing and she said yes but if I had known it was like that I would have bought inner ear plugs with me. At the very least I would have expected them to offer some to me in addition to the earphones.

I understand that if I had a diagnosis this would be the very least of my problems but I would hate to think that health professionals are indifferent to this purely because they figure there are more serious problems to be looked at. I feel sure there is a better way to protect hearing that still allows you to hear the people speaking to you.

Sorry for the whinge but I think this illness and its medications attack our body enough as it is without people being complacent about something that's easy enough to fix and non-repairable once its gone.

Phew that feels better!

p.s. I think i'm really just grumpy because the contrast didn't go in and squirted over my arm instead so they took me out and re did the the line. then the 2nd time it squirted again and I told her and she hurried said - Ijust have to do this right now, I will come and check in a minute, then closed of communications so I lay there for 8 mins not knowing whether to press the emergency button because i had a wet arm or whether she had checked an all was ok. when it was all finished she said the contrast went in and if she hadn't hurried then i would have had to come back another day and re-scan so it was for the best but all very confusing and stressful.

I know it's nothing compared to what you have all been through but I just needed somewhere to vent, I really don't like to bother my family who have been through much worse than me.
Cheers, thanks for the vent.

SueM44
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby SueM44 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:39 pm

I was diagnosed Jan 2010 so first screening was 2011. A year later. I had my lumpectomy, rads and hysterectomy in 2010. Also genetic testing.
BS told me yearly MRI screening until I'm 50, I'm 45 then no longer medicare rebated. I will have to decide what to do after that.
See my BS 6 monthly rather than yearly due to high risk and BRCA 2 factor.
Good luck navigating your way around the system, just keep asking questions and pushing for what you feel you need.
I had to
dx Jan 2010 7mm IDC Grade 2. ER+ PR+ HER- had WLE and SNB in Jan followed by 30 rads. Hysterectomy May 2010. Genetic testing revealed BRCA 2 September 2010

Guru
Guru

Postby 2010 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:46 pm

Thanks,
so i''m guessing I have to make an appointment back at the high risk clinic.
all they really said to me was that i shouldn't be surprised to get a call back because its my first one and that radiology dept would ring me about an appointment. that was it. But instead the private perth radiological rang me for the appointment so now that i'm kind of out of the public system so to speak I don't quite understand what happens from here. will ring rph tomorrow and sort it out.
thanks.

SueM44 - how often do you have your mri's?

SueM44
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby SueM44 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:43 pm

Hi
I had a screening MRI due to high risk genetic factors.

I did have to go to BS for results.

I made sure MRI was two days before BS appointment, so I didn't have to wait too long.

BS receptionist faxed referral to radiology who rang back with an appointment time and then we made BS appointment.

This was through the private system, not sure about the public system.

:xfingers: :xfingers: for you

Guru
Guru

How long does it take 2 get results from MRI? (sURVEILLANCE)

Postby 2010 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:30 pm

Hi
Justwondering how long it takes to getresult from a surveillance mri? The referral is through the high risk ;breast clinci in rph but the mri is being done at perth radiological clinic. I'mhoping its a quick process and not a matter of weeks for some kind of reply?
Thanks.

Return to “High Risk of Breast Cancer”