support on the gold coast

A place for Partners going through the worst to support each other.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
andyana
Wise one
Wise one
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: support on the gold coast

Postby andyana » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:03 pm

Thanks she,s asleep right now
I was a hospital registrar once so I know how brutally industrial the system can be. Has anyone seen that movie ,never let me go, ?

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:52 pm

Good luck with the super release form, it's a hard one at times, but who can predict life expectancy?

I hope Diane is feeling a lot better and happy to be home.
Janette

andyana
Wise one
Wise one

Postby andyana » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:38 pm

Well Diana is back home from hospital, not sure where we stand with the treatment - whether the chemo (taxotere + herceptin) while continue as before or what. We have been trying to get the doctor to fill out the certificate for release of super but this is proving to be difficult.

Tracey Gibney
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Tracey Gibney » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:05 pm

Hi Andyana, I hope by now you have had answers to your many questions but if not persist! I worked for many years as a nurse and often the residents and registrars are absolutely overwhelmed with work and they are often quite young and not necessarily equipped with the skills to deal with the difficult situation you are facing. Work through the unit manager or breast care nurse to get the information you are looking for.

It might also be worth appealing the parking ticket and just explaining the situation you are in. I got a ticket waiting at out patients to see my rads doctor, they gave me a slap across the wrist but let me off the fine. Worth a try! Hugs to you and Dianna

angel33
Superstar
Superstar

Postby angel33 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:03 am

Hi Andyana
Thinking of you and your family... :grouphug: cyberhugs.
I am sorry to hear about the difficulty in speaking to Drs. Even though they are busy, It is important that you press them for more information. ....you have a right!
Does the hospital have a social worker that can help you navigate the system.
Speak to the charge nurse....persist until you get answers!
The other ladies had other ideas good luck with them.
take care and let us know how you go.
angel33
EBC 1997, bony mets Dec 2000, liver mets april 2007, chemo since

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:24 pm

That's lousy getting a ticket and not getting the information anyway. I would hope that the delay in meeting you was unavoidable and that you were offered an apology.

I hope Diana enjoys the ABC Group, most Ladies find it comforting to talk to others going through similar.
Janette

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:54 pm

Hoping you get some answers soon Andyana. This is such a stressful time for you all, you should be getting lots of support and understanding to help you through this. Keep asking for information. You are entitled to it. It is your wife who is ill and the mother of your children. I can't believe they are so unforthcoming. I hope you have some family support or good friends around you. :hugs:

andyana
Wise one
Wise one

Postby andyana » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:55 pm

thanks to everyone for the support, I rang the breast care nurse and she contacted the medical team and organised for me to meet one of them when I was visiting today. Unfortunately after contacting the registrar I was told she was on lunch, I waited but no-show and when I got back to the car I had a parking ticket. On the upside I was able to link Diana with the ABC group www.advancedbreastcancergroup.org

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi Andyana,
Welcome to the forum. I would have thought that the medical staff would be more forthcoming with information than normal but obviously not. How devastating to be hit with an ABC diagnosis straight up, unfortunately it happens way to often.

The Advanced BC Group of Qld are great and I think are there for family as well as the person diagnosed. Regarding services to help with the children, I'm sure our Qld members will have some knowledge and advice.
I wish you and your family the very best.

http://www.advancedbreastcancergroup.org/
:grouphug:
Janette

Tracey Gibney
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Tracey Gibney » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:01 pm

I am really sorry about your wife's diagnosis, this must be an incredible difficult time for you. I agree with marydean that it is important that you speak to the doctors and find out what is planned for your wife's treatment. As long as you are firm but polite I don't think it would in any way effect your wife's treatment. There are quite a few young women with families on the forum who I am sure will have some good suggestions for you. Welcome to the forum this is a great place to come and just vent as well Tracey

Marydean
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Marydean » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:27 pm

I'm sorry to hear that your wife is having such a hard time and that you're not being supported. The hospital your wife is at will have social workers on the staff, so you can ring the switchboard and ask to speak to them. They should make some time to see you ASAP.

Another fantastic support is the Breast Care Nurse or the Onc Nurse that works with your wife's main oncologist. Many public hospitals have fulltime BCNs so ask to speak to her. She will be able to tell you what types of support might be available, as well as being a source of moral support too.

Regarding information about your wife, you are absolutely entitled to speak to the doctors to find out what is going on. The hospital system is so busy that often these crucial aspects of patient/family communication can be overlooked, but this is one area where you just have to be assertive and ask for what you need. Try asking the ward nurses to page the doctor to come down and speak to you while you're there. Explain that you don't know anything. If they are unhelpful or that doesn't get you a result, that's when you get the social worker or the Breast Care Nurse to run around and get you some answers. :hug:
Dancing through life, healing every cell in my body.

Blizz
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby Blizz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:17 pm

Hi Andyana,

so sorry to read about your wife's diagnosis, this must be so incredibly hard for all of you :hugs: Also sorry that the doctors are not more forthcoming.

In terms of practical support, in particular with the kids, for our family the Special Child Care Benefit has been invaluable. Through this facility, the Family Assistance Office has paid our daycare and before / after school care fees. If your kids are not currently in before/after school care they can also arrange a place for you. It takes the pressure off financially and makes sure they are cared for when you can't.

There is also a charity in SEQ that provides assistance for mums who are diagnosed with cancer with young children, Mummy's Wish () They have done some lovely things for us and they can tailor their help to your situation. Their website also has links to other support services.

Has your wife been assigned a breast care nurse? Breast care nurses can often offer a wealth of information and support, both practically and emotionally. Mine was also very helpful in how to talk to the kids about my diagnosis. The Cancer Council can help here too.
The time I was in hospital was definitely the most difficult for my kids, as it is most confronting to them. Seeing mum sick and hooked up to all kinds of things rocks a child's world, it takes away their sense of security.

Wishing you strength throughout all this - I hope all of us on this forum can offer support in some way for you :grouphug:

Gail
Forum Legend

Postby Gail » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:12 pm

Cancer Council of Qld,
Cnr Short Street & Marine Pde
Southport QLD 4215
T: 07 5503 3700
F: 07 3259 8457
I am so sorry to hear of the lack of support you are experiencing. Have you contacted the cancer council of qld ( see above details) I found they were wonderful help to me during my crisis period. I am not sure about the other organisation as I only had one son who was 15 at the time. I hope they can help you. :hugs:
"You Gotta Laugh!"

Gail

Diagnosed April 2006,Lumpectomy,17 of 25 nodes positive, chemo, radiation. Finished treatment March 07
Diagnosed July 2012 cancer of mediastinal(nodes around lungs and heart)pelvis and spine. Up for the fight!

andyana
Wise one
Wise one

support on the gold coast

Postby andyana » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:53 am

Hi my wife is currently in a public hospital folllowing complications of her first chemo - diabetes+ multiple pulmonary emboli+ sepsis. She had grade IV at diagnosis IDC 9. No surgery. We have 2 young children. I have reorganised things as much as possible around managing the kids and going to the hospital. I tried to get the kids into Paradise Kids but they are full up. Last night when visiting my older daughter 8yo didnt want to go near her mother for some reason. The hospital is friendly enough but no-one seems to know anything and I am made to feel sneeky or stepping over some boundary when I try to find out what is going on. The doctors have not contacted me and my wife was too ill to know whats going on. I am scared of jeopardising her care if I make any waves. No -one has contacted me about support for the rest of the family - the local school the girls go to has been more pro-active than the hospital.

Return to “Partners”