New Hopes for Cancer Vaccine

including websites, bc organisations, knowledge bases and instructional material.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
yowyow
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby yowyow » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:18 pm

we should do a poll, I will do a poll after I have done dinner
but of course you dont have put a name to your vote
it just comes up as percentages
Nav
every day without laughter is a wasted day !!!!

molly dooker
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby molly dooker » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:59 pm

It's interesting. Because I had pre-cancerous cells removed from my cervix about 14 years ago. They were a CIN 3, the stage just before cancer. So who knows maybe my breast cancer is related to my pre cervical cancer. I have wondered. Curious. I saw it briefly on the news as well.
Chris

jo
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby jo » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:22 pm

My surgeon is positive that breast cancer and a virus go together. Apparently this is a widely held belief in some medical circles. Proving it is another thing. I am glad my 2 granddaughters have had the cervical cancer vaccine.
Cheers Jo

jayem
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jayem » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:42 pm

Please let the research dollars flow forward for this.
Jan

Dx 20 Sept 2006, 2 cm IDC + DCIS, 1/16+ node, ER+, PR+, HER2-, 4 AC, 4 Taxol, 33 rads
CFEM Trial 5 years Arimidex, 5 year SOLE trial Femara
Dx Aug 2016 neuroendocrine cancer in pancreas, mets to liver, abdominal nodes, hip, skull, scalp and breast.

Crystalady
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Crystalady » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:06 am

I saw that also. When I had my core biopsy the other day the doctor said it was one of the things they were looking for.
My daughter has had the vaccine so that is very good news to me.

Sandra
First diagnosed in Dec 1998. Thyroid cancer 2006. Thought I was free and clear after 10 years but no, mets in spine in Dec 2008. Femara stopped working October 2010.Was on Aromasin and zometa. Now taking Xeloda and Zometa.Xeloda not working Dec 2011. Tamoxifen started. Feb 2012 Now on Abraxane.

yowyow
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby yowyow » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:39 am

48% Jo, thats a huge percentage! I only caught the end of the story

WOW, thanks for posting.
Nav

every day without laughter is a wasted day !!!!

jaybee
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

New Hopes for Cancer Vaccine

Postby jaybee » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:27 am

The cervical cancer vaccine given to all Australian women under 26 could also be a breakthrough for breast cancer cases, according to a study by University of NSW researchers.
With the potential to prevent many forms of breast cancer, the discovery of the vaccine's effectiveness may save tens of thousands of lives each year.
Researchers have found strains of human papillomavirus (HPV) in 48 percent of breast cancer cells in their study, the virus responsible for nearly all of cervical cancer cases.
The discovery could mean the Gardasil vaccine used to prevent cervical cancer might also stop certain types of breast cancer, according to research team leader Professor James Lawson.
"This is the first time there is solid evidence of a cause of some breast cancers," he said.
"In biology nothing is exact, nothing is conclusive, however in our view it is a major breakthrough, but we would not claim absolute proof."
While the discovery only marks the early stages towards stopping many breast cancers, Professor Lawson said it represents a "paradigm shift" to the way doctors will look at the disease.
But he said it was still yet to be proven that Gardasil could also be effective in preventing HPV-related breast cancer .
"We'll have to wait for a generation to find out, because cervical cancer development is fairly rapid, but breast cancer is fairly slow," he said.
"There's no way of knowing for sure, but we will have to do much bigger studies."
The Gardasil vaccine was developed by Brisbane based immunologist Ian Frazer, a discovery that saw him named Australian of the Year in 2006.
But Professor Frazer said more research would be needed to prove the link between HPV and breast cancer.
"The evidence that the virus causes breast cancer is not solid like cervical cancer."
Breast cancer groups are cautiously optimistic, and believe it is worth investigating further, according to National Breast and Ovarian Cancer Centre CEO Helen Zorbas.
"We know a lot about the risk factors associated with breast cancer, but the causes still eludes us," Dr Zorbas said.
"Investigating the potential viral causes ... is very exciting and worth pursuing."
The next challenge for researchers is to prove that eliminating the virus in breast tissue will cause cancer cells to die.

Return to “General Reference”