Exercise and cancer

including websites, bc organisations, knowledge bases and instructional material.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Exercise and cancer

Postby JudyB » Sun May 15, 2016 10:54 am

This is my biggest problem I think and I am back where I was five years ago. Need to exercise, but when? I can barely drag myself out of bed in time to get to work as it is. It's such a vicioius circle.
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Sun May 15, 2016 2:45 am

When I was first diagnosed I was a regular gym goer and was doing a fair bit of running as well so I thought I was fairly fit,so when I was going through chemo I kept going to my gym because my group of friends were my support,I did my classes which I modified because I could not keep up like I was used to but although it was tough it done wonders,I did walk as well but was so frustrated because I was so slow and puffed out but In all I think because I was so fit before diagnosis I coped so much better with treatment,now I don't have time for gym because of work and I am to tired,I do walk but not very often,my job is very physical and I do many hours but my fitness is still very good I think.
Rosa

Eirelass
Superstar
Superstar

Postby Eirelass » Sat May 14, 2016 5:42 pm

This was a great episode and thanks for posting a link on FB Schoolteacher! I always seem to forget about Catalyst - not sure why, it's such a good show.

I liked how they could tailor exercise depending on where treatment was or how side effects might impact people. The reduction in recurrence was what struck me.

I used to park some distance from the hospital and walk to and from my treatment. Around 1.5km round trip. I'm sure it made a big difference to me (though I was only have radiotherapy, not chemo) I'm sure keeping exercising made a big difference to how I felt as well as my mood.

I do pilates too, I find it's brilliant. A woman at my work who has lymphodema (not cancer related, but her whole body) found doing pilates each day has made a huge reduction in her fluid retention. She goes to a class once a week and bought herself a reformer to use at home and does it each morning before going to work!

Now I'm working less (that's the plan, anyway) I'm trying to carve out time to exercise more. Today I thought of a million things I could do, but I thought, no, this is MY time and my health - I'm going for a ride. Plus it is such a gorgeous day! :exbike: :horse:
Dx 28/3/12, EBC, Invasive DCIS; 4/5/12 Hookwire WLE & SNB, Grade 2, 16mm, 0/3 nodes, clear margins, ER+ PR+, HER2-; Rads July-Sept 2012. Tamoxifen. Writing my story www.girlinthepinkfreeruns.com

Cancer will not change you. It will amplify who you already were before you were diagnosed

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Sat May 14, 2016 3:58 pm

That was one of the key messages of the program. EP's like my DD can tailor exercise around injuries/restrictions There was a patient with severe foot neuropathy who was using weight machines as she couldn't walk. It was fascinating. I tried to walk through treatment and certainly felt the need afterwards to get back to normal. Fitting around work is my challenge as I'm at school by 7:30am and rarely home before 5:30-6pm then there is finger to cook

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Sat May 14, 2016 9:55 am

really interesting program - its something I need to get on to but I had a foot op last year and revision this year and still cant walk properly so trying to find some way of doing exercise that makes a difference. The impact and resistance training is what works so just walking the dog isn't really doing much.
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Exercise and cancer

Postby schoolteacher » Sat May 14, 2016 8:44 am

This is a regular discussion at our house as DD is now an exercise physiologist who works with a number of cancer patients and shares links with me on Facebook.
I watched Catalyst on catch up tv/iview this week as I missed it..again lol it was about exercise during treatment and afterwards and all the positive effects. It was really interesting. I recommend it highly.
I do Pilates once a week and a long walk on Sunday morning with a friend. I struggle to do more with work responsibilities

Return to “General Reference”