EX GRATIA PAYMENT FOR CANCER PATIENTS

Information about available support and assistance at all stages.
Janette
Forum Legend

Re: EX GRATIA PAYMENT FOR CANCER PATIENTS

Postby Janette » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:00 pm

Very good for members to know.

In this area the NSW Cancer Council is providing funding for the local transport assistance group, which is usually for the elderly and disabled to get to hospital or medical appointments, to drive Cancer patients to appointments at no charge. People have to be assessed though as needing the assistance.

The Cancer Council does some great things, without the trumpets and fanfare.
Janette

retta
Hot-shot
Hot-shot
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby retta » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:34 am

Yes the social worker at my centre told me about it & I used the $250 as part payment for an electricity bill. You just have to allow plenty of time because they have to send a photo copy of the bill to the cancer council for approval. It was a great help but yes not something that was widely known about. This was in NSW.
dx Jan 2011. R mastectomy & axil clearance 12+/20. Grade 1. Stage IIIC. ER/PR+ HER2 - chemo - 3 x FEC, 3 x Docetaxel + rads, Tamoxifen.

megg32
Your Maj
Your Maj
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby megg32 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:27 am

I had help from The Blue Angels here, they paid for a gas and electricity bill for me while I had chemo

jayem
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

EX GRATIA PAYMENT FOR CANCER PATIENTS

Postby jayem » Mon May 14, 2007 12:32 pm

I recently found out from my cousin in Victoria that the Cancer Council in Victoria offers a one off payment of up to $300 to assist with a utility bill. She had to get a letter from her doctor and sent it off to the Cancer Council. I found out today that the same scheme exists in NSW and is arranged through the social worker in the oncology department of the hospital where you received the major part of treatment. I have yet to do this but the lady from the Cancer Council was most helpful. She said it didn't matter that I am now past that part of treatment, the financial issues still exist.

Given that both NSW and Victoria have this scheme I would imagine it to be Australia wide. It would be worth a phone call to your local state Cancer Council to see how it operates there.

The thing that surprises me is that it is not offered as a matter of course but is available if you ask for it.

I would be interest to know if anyone else has heard of or accessed this scheme.
Jan

Dx 20 Sept 2006, 2 cm IDC + DCIS, 1/16+ node, ER+, PR+, HER2-, 4 AC, 4 Taxol, 33 rads
CFEM Trial 5 years Arimidex, 5 year SOLE trial Femara
Dx Aug 2016 neuroendocrine cancer in pancreas, mets to liver, abdominal nodes, hip, skull, scalp and breast.

Return to “Support & Assistance”