Medicare

Information about available support and assistance at all stages.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Janine
Founding Member
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Janine » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:53 pm

See , on Medicare Australia website.
Janine

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:32 am

Yes Cheryl
I keep a spread sheet each year of all out of pocket medical expenses. You can only claim 10-20% of out of pocket expenses over and above the $1500 threshhold.
You need to keep all medical and pharmacy receipts. I claim gap payments, scans, hospital excess, crutch hire, prescription costs, etc. Even things like panadol.
You don't get a lot back but its better than nothing. Over the past 3 years we have been out of pocket $4000-$5000 per year! It soon adds up.
Chris

cheryl
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby cheryl » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:20 am

don't forget that you can claim your medical bills in your tax return. I think you claim any costs over $1,500
Cheryl

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:14 pm

Thanks Molly. I did know about the threshold. Towards the end of last year we reached it and I got nearly 100% of all doctors visits refunded. It was a huge relief.Once registered you are registered for every following year.
:wave: Chris

molly
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Medicare

Postby molly » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:52 pm

I've just been informed today that Medicare has a safety net for people who need to see doctors and have tests done often. As we know, it can get very expensive having ultrasounds, MRIs etc. From what I understand, if these are not done as an in-patient in hospital Medicare wlll pay back 100% of the schedule fee. E.g if your doctor charges $60.00 for a visit, you get the normal Medicare rebate of $33.55 plus most of the gap. There's a threshold, of course, I think it's $1,111. They won't offer it to you, you have to register for it. Typical!

I was informed of this by another patient when I went to see my surgeon today, she said she had got back thousands of dollars. I know I've already spent nearly $1,000 just on ultrasound, mammogram, core biopsy and having dye injected for the surgery, so I'm not far off.

You can register the whole family if they're under 16 and dependent on you.

Just thought you'd like to know this, in case you haven't heard of it. I certainly hadn't. I knew about the safety net for pharmaceuticals (my husband was a pharmacist), but I didn't know there was a safety net for medical procedures and visits to the doctor. In fact, now that I think of it, I'm probably over the threshold if I count in the surgeon's visits.

Positive, positive!!

Molly
Dx 10 Feb 2009 Stage 1 Grade 2 IDC Lumpectomy N=0, ER+, PR+

Return to “Support & Assistance”