YWCA Encore Programs for 2012

Information about available support and assistance at all stages.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Tracey Gibney
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: YWCA Encore Programs for 2012

Postby Tracey Gibney » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:14 pm

The follow on program is called the 4 c fit chicks and is conducted by Nillumbik Community Health Centre and Eltham Leisure Centre. The contact phone number is 03 94309100. Judy from the YWCA encore program gave us the info.

Tracey

SueM44
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby SueM44 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:03 pm

Thank you

Looks like there is one nice and local
Sue :)
dx Jan 2010 7mm IDC Grade 2. ER+ PR+ HER- had WLE and SNB in Jan followed by 30 rads. Hysterectomy May 2010. Genetic testing revealed BRCA 2 September 2010
Bilateral Mastectomy & Immediate Reconstruction Nov 2011

YWCA Encore
Wise one
Wise one

Postby YWCA Encore » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:54 pm

Hello Sue,

YWCA Encore have a website www.ywcaencore.org.au which should indicate where these programs are available throughout your City/State. See below information. Good luck!!

Good luck!!
Term 1 2012 - Boronia
Monday 6th February - Monday 2nd April, 12.00pm - 2.00pm
Busybodies Health and Fitness Centre, 29 Erica Avenue, Boronia
For more information and to book your place please contact:
Marcelle Yoxon, 03 9754 5080, marcelle.yoxon@bigpond.com
Cheryl Gardener, cherylmgardner@ymail.com

Term 1 2012 - Frankston
Dates and venue to be advised shortly.
Judy Sammut, 03 9848 4650, heyjudys@hotmail.com

Term 1 2012 - Bendigo
Dates and venue to be advised shortly.
Wendy Aitkenhead, 03 5446 2092, wendyaitkenhead@hotmail.com

SueM44
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby SueM44 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:49 pm

So how do you find out if one is available in your area?

I would be interested in attending one but I probablly couldn't travel too far due to work commitments and teenagers

Sue :)
dx Jan 2010 7mm IDC Grade 2. ER+ PR+ HER- had WLE and SNB in Jan followed by 30 rads. Hysterectomy May 2010. Genetic testing revealed BRCA 2 September 2010
Bilateral Mastectomy & Immediate Reconstruction Nov 2011

YWCA Encore
Wise one
Wise one

Postby YWCA Encore » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:11 pm

Skettie, yes the YWCA Encore program in QLD is getting back on track so fingers crossed you will be able to access this soon.

Tracey, YMCA or YWCA in Victoria and do know what the program is called?

We would love to develop a follow up program incorporating light weights, especially for our Albany region which seems to attract more repeat participants than any other area. There are other follow up programs conducted at our universities here in WA but are more palates based.

Tracey Gibney
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Tracey Gibney » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:37 pm

I just finished the encore program today! It was great very gentle exercise interesting guest speakers and good way to meet other women. The YMCA in eltham victoria also runs a follow on program that I will do next year. Tracey
EBC 94 aged 34. Mastectomy CMF, tamoxifen. Mets 07 brachial plexus, supra clavicular node, sternum. Treated with AI's Rads x3 Ooph 09. 2014 met to chest wall,surg, rads. 12/14 Multiple bone mets, rt axillary nodes further recurrence chest wall. Failed on Faslodex. 8/15 Ibrance

Skettie
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby Skettie » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:07 pm

I enquired about this program when I first finished chemo, but it's not currently available in my area. They were running a trial on the Gold Coast though. Hopefully this went well and they will expand further north soon!!

YWCA Encore
Wise one
Wise one

Postby YWCA Encore » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:38 pm

Hello Jetj - thank you for your post. Yes we have posted on The Click and Breast Cancer Care of WA :-)
x :grouphug:

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:24 pm

Thank you for posting. Encore has a great program I did it 8 weeks after surgery in NSW.

Have you posted on The Click and BC Care of WA? We should remind members more often. :clap:
Janette

YWCA Encore
Wise one
Wise one

Postby YWCA Encore » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:36 pm

If you are facebooker...I invite you to www.facebook.com/YWCAEncore and like our page - help spread the word about Encore across Australia.

YWCA Encore WA

YWCA Encore
Wise one
Wise one

Postby YWCA Encore » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:32 pm

Fantastic JudyB...I hope you find it beneficial.

Retta, unfortunately most states are not funded so it is hard to market our program and ensure all women are aware of YWCA Encore. NSW and WA (only just recently) are the only states to be funded by their governments. Here in WA the funding is still minimal and we still rely heavily on volunteers to not only raise money but more importantly spread the word and raise much needed awareness for our programs. We here in WA are just beginning to market our program to ensure every women affected by Breast Cancer has the option of participating in our program.

We do rely heavily on our brochures to be placed in the resources pack that Breast Care Nurses deliver to breast cancer patients prior to leaving hospital but unfortunately many fall through the gaps. Many have not heard of Encore but it is also difficult getting women to commit the 2 hours per week over the 8 week period when they do enrol in our program. However, when they do many say it was the best thing they ever did for themselves and also many have requested that it go longer. We have many repeat participants! It is imperative that women take time out for themselves to assist in their recovery, our program is delivered in a non medical environment amongst people that are obviously in very similar situations so strong friendships can be formed and other peer supports born.

Our Albany group host a camp/retreat each year that majority of past participants and volunteers all go on - fabulous outcome!!

retta
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby retta » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:17 pm

I have just finished the program at Austral, SYD and thought it was great. It's funny because at the course we were just talking about ways to let women know about Encore so this thread is another way. One of the ladies in my course was very angry that no one told her about it after she had surgery and later on she developed lymphedema. She has found the excercises to be very beneficial. So well done to Encore :clap:
dx Jan 2011. R mastectomy & axil clearance 12+/20. Grade 1. Stage IIIC. ER/PR+ HER2 - chemo - 3 x FEC, 3 x Docetaxel + rads, Tamoxifen.

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:14 pm

I am going to do this in the new year in Wantirna (or somewhere near there I think) if anyone is interested in going along with me :D
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

YWCA Encore
Wise one
Wise one

YWCA Encore Programs for 2012

Postby YWCA Encore » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:15 pm

The YWCA runs Encore – a free 8 week gentle exercise program designed specifically for women who have experienced breast cancer at any time in their life. Incorporating gentle exercises, relaxation techniques, information, it is safe fun and therapeutic. Gentle, but effective exercises improve strength, mobility and flexibility whilst the warm water in the hydrotherapy sessions relieve affected muscles. The classes also provide an opportunity for women to share their experiences in a safe and supportive environment.
Participation is free and by enrolment only. Programs have been confirmed for Perth metropolitan & regional areas for February 2012. Please contact Janine 08 9440 3501 or email encore@westnet.com.au for further information.
:happydance:

Return to “Support & Assistance”